Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Hunted
Belgium, Scotland, Slovenia, South Africa, Zimbabwe
Dear AH members,

I'm turning my question mostly to those with some form of legal back ground, hoping to find some answers.

We all worry when travelling with firearms:
- might get "lost/forgotten/stolen"
- might get "damaged"

We will try to use such devices as air tags and alike, to track where they are, but once we hand over the rifle case, with its two or more cute padlocks on it, we do not know what kind of nefarious minds it will encounter along the way. I'm especially thinking about the righteous anti-gun/anti-hunter type going out of his/her way to destroy, damage, or lose your firearms, or just a common thief seeing a high-priced item in front of him. Either way, their creativity and persistence will mean that no amount of sturdiness in the case and lock, nor advanced tracking technology will protect your precious guns and rifles.

There is one thing (and it is dirt cheap), that I have thought of that could protect against those malicious humans that might cross paths with our firearms case and that is their innate fear of justice and the police. However, I'm not so clear about the legality of this:

After the case has been inspected, you tape around your case with a roll of "Police" labeled tape. See below for an example:

1708964681936.png

Is a citizen allowed to "impersonate" by using such a tape? Perhaps not, although I have no idea. Perhaps one of these more novelty tapes could however be used in its stead to deter criminals?

1708964821182.png

Anyone have an opinion on this?

Or is this a bad idea all around?

thanks,

V.

If someone is nefarious enough to steal or tamper with your belongings I simply don't see how this would prevent them from doing it. I am a retired Policeman and I have seen more citizens ignore this tape and cross it then you can imagine. If anything it might pique their interest and increase their curiosity and tamper with it.

The airlines can figure out who tampered with a bag based on cameras and who scanned them and when. If something did happen, the airline would never admit what happened (sorta like if you're in a car accident you never admit fault) but with a little documentation and persistence I would expect the airline would pay for damage/replacement. If the baggage handler purposely destroys a $15000 rifle that the airline has to pay for, that guy/gal will probably be seeking new employment.

The airlines can figure out who tampered with a bag based on cameras and who scanned them and when. If something did happen, the airline would never admit what happened (sorta like if you're in a car accident you never admit fault) but with a little documentation and persistence I would expect the airline would pay for damage/replacement. If the baggage handler purposely destroys a $15000 rifle that the airline has to pay for, that guy/gal will probably be seeking new employment.
I'm not sure this situation you sketch will work. The airline only insures luggage up to a certain amount. Anything above you need additional insurance.

Bad idea all round.

i. Legally dubious plus the legality is likely to change with every jurisdiction you move through.
ii. When you're not there to protect it, the "police" tape would only encourage both the nefariously minded and the maliciously minded to go for it.

And in all honestly, the guns make it safely to destination the vast majority of the time. The baggage handlers are like most other hourly workers: just trying to make it through the day. They may do as poor a job as they can get away with; they almost certainly won’t be putting in the extra effort to organize their compatriots to not notice while they vandalize your rifle case.

I'm not sure this situation you sketch will work. The airline only insures luggage up to a certain amount. Anything above you need additional insurance.
Right you are. I just looked, and Delta will only cover up to $5000 if it is declared and if there is adequate documentation proving value. I wouldn't have anyway, but it looks like I will never take expensive guns with me anywhere. I work for the airlines and I don't trust them, that is why I never check bags. Many of the baggage handling airline employees work for the airlines not just for a paycheck but also because of the travel benefits provided to them. I suspect this alone would keep most baggage handlers honest.

Might be best left alone.
If it was identified as some sort of official government equipment many may be more careful than to tamper with it.
It may just raise more questions in some jurisdictions trying to establish if your are in fact Police and travelling in a professional capacity.

This is one of those concerns that is totally overblown. Sure there is plenty of mishandling of bags but it is better than it used to be. Most of it happens from changing airlines without rechecking. Or not knowing the rules, ie. not using a TA. At times I have over $30k of guns and optics with me and I don't worry about it.

Dear AH members,

I'm turning my question mostly to those with some form of legal back ground, hoping to find some answers.

- might get "damaged"

We will try to use such devices as air tags and alike, to track where they are, but once we hand over the rifle case, with its two or more cute padlocks on it, we do not know what kind of nefarious minds it will encounter along the way. I'm especially thinking about the righteous anti-gun/anti-hunter type going out of his/her way to destroy, damage, or lose your firearms, or just a common thief seeing a high-priced item in front of him. Either way, their creativity and persistence will mean that no amount of sturdiness in the case and lock, nor advanced tracking technology will protect your precious guns and rifles.

There is one thing (and it is dirt cheap), that I have thought of that could protect against those malicious humans that might cross paths with our firearms case and that is their innate fear of justice and the police. However, I'm not so clear about the legality of this:

After the case has been inspected, you tape around your case with a roll of "Police" labeled tape. See below for an example:

View attachment 589619
Is a citizen allowed to "impersonate" by using such a tape? Perhaps not, although I have no idea. Perhaps one of these more novelty tapes could however be used in its stead to deter criminals?

View attachment 589621

thanks,

V.
I don’t have an answer for you but man I like how you think!!!!!

Bad idea all round.

i. Legally dubious plus the legality is likely to change with every jurisdiction you move through.
ii. When you're not there to protect it, the "police" tape would only encourage both the nefariously minded and the maliciously minded to go for it.

This^. Plenty of anti police types out there.

Dear AH members,

- might get "damaged"

View attachment 589619

View attachment 589621

thanks,

V.
This reminds me of something a guy told me.many years ago. He said that he spray painted his gun case flat gray, then used stencils to letter it: "CORONERS TISSUE SAMPLES - DO NOT OPEN" I do not know if this was legal then, or if it would be now, but he said no one ever messed with his guns when he traveled.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DesmondJar

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.