Is this a Guild Gun

The Buhler style is not the best option for quick detach scope systems. When scope is removed, the wing is left sticking up in the air unprotected where it is easily caught on clothing or brush and disengaged. Lesson learned with my Springfield! I should change it to Model 70 style 3-position but those safeties also require significantly modified strikers = much more expensive!

I modified my Springfield's Buhler style with a small tension take up screw threaded down through top of the bolt shroud to shaft of safety. I then cut a groove in the shaft to accept the screw. That way the safety was tightened up and cannot rattle or move laterally, which was the problem. Well, most of the problem. It doesn't cure the wing sticking up unprotected issue. Only cure for that is let the gun wear a scope or carry with no round in the chamber ... or bend over and pay the bucks for 3-position side safety.
I have seen no issue whatsoever. Has worked just fine for me. I only dismount a scope for a follow-up or travel.

I'm at a loss to see how retaining the military flag safety is any kind of useful when trooping through the brush. The Greenier safety is tucked out of the way and unlikely to get caught on anything. The only reason I can see for retaining the flag safety on the bolt shroud is to make disassembly of the bolt easier. It can be done with a 2-position safety but a minor pain in the butt. Anyone with a Buhler style scope relief safety knows what I'm talking about. The second position on 3-position safety is needed (but not necessary) for spinning the bolt shroud, cocking piece, and striker out of the bolt.
I have never checked, but I would hazard a guess the little sliding safety on the Mannlicher MCA only blocks the sear. Call me a safety freak, but with the rifle slung on my shoulder walking in the brush, I want the firing pin blocked. I am not a snap shooter, but hunting over the years with a 100 year old Mauser sporter, I have not found the flag safety slows down my quick shots to any extent.
Mike

Last edited:
I have never checked, but I would hazard a guess the little sliding safety on the Mannlicher MCA only blocks the sear.

MS DST 1963 Stoeger.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dyan65373

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.