Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Canada, South Africa
Good evening,

I came across this 8mm rifle, and am wondering what the experts here can tell me. The seller says it’s a 96, but the bolt sure looks like it has the third lug to me. Complete claw mounts with a Zeiss scope, and a greener safety. It almost looks like someone tried to sand down a Schnabel for-end.

All in all it’s a decent looking rifle, and any input or information you can give a guy would be appreciated!
07B6472A-4A05-4388-94F1-8A4C59C3EC09.jpeg
9A6DC7C4-3D73-4650-A542-7B2492659678.jpeg
B1263937-52AE-4A71-AE0A-10D970A3E5B5.jpeg
A41C19E2-B063-4E4D-B003-9E822E47C1BA.jpeg
178132CB-3190-425A-9328-DE38D2D3B4B4.jpeg
271C8987-7695-4840-9484-8D7E41148225.jpeg
A98B2812-FCF0-46D8-BBF6-904646EBEB8A.jpeg
4F5A9621-3075-4BCF-8B20-325CB6A6AE2C.jpeg

Also, does the barrel look short?

Pretty gun. Finding the crosshairs might require a step ladder. Won't be shooting that one fast. Not with the scope on it.

Pretty gun. Finding the crosshairs might require a step ladder. Won't be shooting that one fast. Not with the scope on it.
Good old Mauser flag safeties. They worked for 50 years in countries where driven hunts and snap shooting are the norm

Looks like a '98 to me. Definitely a guild gun unless there's a makers name, most likely on the barrel. Even then I've seen some high end German names that made some that for all intentions, were guild guns.
Something does not look right with the front of the floor plate. Filled in a bit maybe.
I've owned several guild rifles over the years. Some are very well done, some not so much!

Looks like a '98 to me. Definitely a guild gun unless there's a makers name, most likely on the barrel. Even then I've seen some high end German names that made some that for all intentions, were guild guns.
Something does not look right with the front of the floor plate. Filled in a bit maybe.
I've owned several guild rifles over the years. Some are very well done, some not so much!
Good catch, I missed that.

Very cool rifle - looks like a 98 to me. Haven’t seen many with the greener and flag safety. The stock is interesting but the metal work and mounts look to be very good quality. Makes me wonder is that stock was recycled from another rifle - schnabel forend ground down a bit, bottom metal fitting / filled in, and then a new butt plate looks to be added - finish seems to be wore down. All in all a very cool rifle - hope she shoots well for you.

Depends on what you mean by “guild gun”. It’s very unlikely that would be from an America custom guild maker. Looks to me like something that would come out of Belgium. Lots of cool stuff came from there , and there are almost never any individual maker names. When it’s completely apart you really have to look close at everything inside and out. Sometimes you’ll find a name in the stock under and in front of the action, or on the bottom side of the barrel in front of the chamber, that was the American location for most anyway.

Very cool rifle - looks like a 98 to me. Haven’t seen many with the greener and flag safety. The stock is interesting but the metal work and mounts look to be very good quality. Makes me wonder is that stock was recycled from another rifle - schnabel forend ground down a bit, bottom metal fitting / filled in, and then a new butt plate looks to be added - finish seems to be wore down. All in all a very cool rifle - hope she shoots well for you.
Here's one for sale in Canada that's very similar. 9.3x62 made by Dittman in Hamburg, Germany. Just over $5,000 US.
20191116_133150-2-Kopie-728x188.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-27 at 8.22.13 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-06-27 at 8.22.13 AM Large.jpeg
    143.5 KB · Views: 53
  • Screenshot 2023-06-27 at 8.22.14 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-06-27 at 8.22.14 AM Large.jpeg
    190.7 KB · Views: 54
  • Screenshot 2023-06-27 at 8.22.15 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-06-27 at 8.22.15 AM Large.jpeg
    274.4 KB · Views: 50
  • Screenshot 2023-06-27 at 8.22.16 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-06-27 at 8.22.16 AM Large.jpeg
    218.6 KB · Views: 51
  • Screenshot 2023-06-27 at 8.22.17 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-06-27 at 8.22.17 AM Large.jpeg
    117.7 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Nice rifle, certainly is a 98. The serial number on the action should tell if it is a commercial action or a repurposed military, I like the 2 safety’s. I have a Mannlicher MCA, one of the few things I like about it is 2 safetiy’s, positive flag safety when trooping thru the brush, then the flag off and use the slide safety when in position waiting for game.
Mike

Its really too bad someone took a rasp to the Schnabel. That would have been a complete rifle with some real German flair what with the claw mounts and all. I could see wandering through the Ardennes looking for some boar so-armed. Beautiful rifle sans Schnabel. Definitely appears to be a 98 but the true test would be at what point in the cycle it cocks the hammer

Its really too bad someone took a rasp to the Schnabel. That would have been a complete rifle with some real German flair what with the claw mounts and all. I could see wandering through the Ardennes looking for some boar so-armed. Beautiful rifle sans Schnabel. Definitely appears to be a 98 but the true test would be at what point in the cycle it cocks the hammer
Perhaps. Though I would suspect this somewhat extended forearm with slight schnabel is likely replicating what was a fairly common commercial Mauser style prior to the war.

Interestingly, both the OP's rifle and the one posted by @Ontario Hunter are "guild guns." Some are completely unmarked like the OP's and others will carry the retailer's name like the one in the ad (By the way, W. O. Dittmann is still going strong as a retailer in Garlstorf just outside Hamburg.)

Both would have been built by an unknown craftsman (member of the gunmaker's guild).

It is interesting that both have the side lever safety and a flag. They both also use a repurposed military style actions with thumb cut out and stripper clip slot. I would not be at all surprised if both came off the same maker's bench in Suhl sometime in the thirties just before the War.

Nice rifle, certainly is a 98. The serial number on the action should tell if it is a commercial action or a repurposed military, I like the 2 safety’s. I have a Mannlicher MCA, one of the few things I like about it is 2 safetiy’s, positive flag safety when trooping thru the brush, then the flag off and use the slide safety when in position waiting for game.
Mike
I'm at a loss to see how retaining the military flag safety is any kind of useful when trooping through the brush. The Greenier safety is tucked out of the way and unlikely to get caught on anything. The only reason I can see for retaining the flag safety on the bolt shroud is to make disassembly of the bolt easier. It can be done with a 2-position safety but a minor pain in the butt. Anyone with a Buhler style scope relief safety knows what I'm talking about. The second position on 3-position safety is needed (but not necessary) for spinning the bolt shroud, cocking piece, and striker out of the bolt.

A stunning rifle that I would have brought home, tall scope mounts and all! I'm with Red Leg about the fore end and the schnabel not being sanded down.
Now, you must tell us how it shoots! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PenneyWilk

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.