Is there a reason to go beyond 470NE?

Heck if it was just a matter of what we neeeeeed then Id agree with you; but the more I get into this the more I want to do it "Old School". Id take a 4 Bore, or a hammer gun if I could.

Heck if it was just a matter of what we neeeeeed then Id agree with you; but the more I get into this the more I want to do it "Old School". Id take a 4 Bore, or a hammer gun if I could.

Then make the leap to a .600 and be the envy of all your range friends when you are not hunting.

Then make the leap to a .600 and be the envy of all your range friends when you are not hunting.

I thought about a .600; but a .577 just seemed cooler:D

Edelweiss,

Have you shot your 577 yet?

No it came with ammo; but I don't trust it. The cases are tarnished and a are snug when I load them. They were supposedly custom lloaded with either BP or a substitute; but the dealer won't let me talk to the original owner to get more info. I don't think they were resized. Its just not worth the risk.

Im gonna have to get some factory loads.

Thank you, when you look at what it really costs to buy and shoot a double rifle in a cartridge above 470 NE it gets very very costly. Need and want has little to do with it, like on the 5 of Oct. I got my hunting lic. and my White tail tags for the up coming Rifle deer season that starts Nov 1. for me. Well at 9:30 pm I collected a White Tail Doe with the front end of my car. Talk about 60 lbs of very expensive venison. Not a cheap what to kill a deer. In 40+ years of driving, this was my first. It still is bugging me big time. And I still think a worked over M-70 in 416 Remington is the way to go for a Dangerous Game Rifle, if you think you need more than a 375 H+H or the Ruger Version. The money you spend on that verses a 500 or 577 or even a 470 double will pay for a couple of Buffalo and some other stuff on a nice safari. Sorry about your pending divorce.

I figure there's no need for anything bigger TILL there's a NEED FOR SOMETHING BIGGER. Its also a matter of if I don't buy it now I probably won't buy it later. You are correct about the cost of ammo. It was a shock, especially when I realized it was only 10 rounds of .577 for something like $200---I thought 50BMG was expensive.

I figure there's no need for anything bigger TILL there's a NEED FOR SOMETHING BIGGER. Its also a matter of if I don't buy it now I probably won't buy it later. You are correct about the cost of ammo. It was a shock, especially when I realized it was only 10 rounds of .577 for something like $200---I thought 50BMG was expensive.

First off the quote above will tell you why ammo goes missing from your baggage when traveling through JNB! When Federal 470NE ammo costs you $16 per trigger pull, and sells for almost half again more in Africa it stands to reason it is a target there. Also the Greenies love to separate your ammo from the rest of your gear just to screw up your hunt, when you pass through places like London!

On the choice of chamberings for your double rifle, most of the drawbacks to one or the other have been pretty well discussed here. Between the 450NE 3 1/4inch and the 577NE is quite a spread, and all of it is not just the price of ammo, or your availability to find it if lost!

I've owned them all at one time or another over the years, and now My African pair is a pair of Merkel double rifles! Not fancy, but well made and strong! More accurate than me, and either can be carried all day, without being a determent to being able to shoot them well. My big Merkel is a 470NE, and the little one is a 9.3X74R , but what I wanted was the 500NE Merkel, which by the way actually weighs LESS than the 470NE Merkel, while the recoil is considerably more, but not un manageable! The reason I have the 470NE double rather than the 500NE is because the rifle I have was a bargain I simply couldn't turn down.

The 577NE is certainly an option if elephant is going to be your main target, but I'd personally rather have the 500NE, and I've owned both! The thing you need to think about is which of these chamberings do you think you will shoot the most? The way you get good with your double rifle is by shooting it, and shooting it a lot. I hunt everything these days with my double rifles, and because of that I can shoot them very well. I shoot a lot of wild hogs with my doubles and try to do a double tap every time, taking down two hogs very quickly. Usually the first one is standing and the second running, but I make two hits at least 7 out of 10 times. This is very good practice for handling quick instinctive shooting on Buffalo!

There are two very good reasons for hand-loading for your double rifles. #1 is you get the best from your rifle with carefully loaded ammo that shoots to the regulation built into your rifle! Most double rifle do not regulate as well with factory ammo as your custom hand-loads. #2 is the cost of factory ammo is very expensive, and doesn't lend it's self to a lot of off-season shooting! In most of the chamberings you can use HAWK bullets that are cheap, and work well on most North American game, and there is absolutely no reason you can't hunt whitetail deer with a 500NE double rifle. Believe it or not a 500NE double will kill whitetail deer quite well and destroy less meat than a 30-06.

In you shoes I would look at the 500NE Merkel, and never look back! Buy dies and powder brass and bullets and hand-load!

When you get your double rifle let me know and I'll connect you with people who load for the chambering you choose, people who can get you started with some starting loads!

Im currently in the earliest of planning for a DG game hunt for 2013 or 14, which I hope to include Elephant, and Hippo and Buffalo. Part of me NEEDS a DR 577NE; but realistically Im more thinking 500NE. Much of this is for the mine is bigger part of me.

Its probably safe to say 470 is more than sufficient for even the biggest of the DG. If I were a betting guy, Id have to wager at least a wooden nickle that 470NE is the most common caliber for Dangerous Game double rifles. Id also have to bet 470NE would be the easiest to find if the airlines separated me from my ammo. How often does that happen? I hear horror stories about it and would never choose a wildcat cartridge just because of those stories; but is it really a problem? As long as Im running the paranoid route, How hard is it to come by 500NE or 577NE in an emergency, in say South Afrika, Namibia, Tanzania, etc?

Is 470 enough of a standard that its worth sticking with the crowd? Is 500NE enough of an improvement to make the leap? AND will you all say Im reeeeeeeelly cool if I get a 577NE?

In reality, the 577 was used to shoot elephants in herds! The 470 has my stamp of approval, having used it for a lot of game and never, ever needing to fire more than one shot. The 577 is uncomfortable to shoot, is very heavy and completely not needed, in my humble opinion.

I too would have loved a .577, which back in the day was known as the Ivory hunter's tool.

For a sole hunter with no back-up working with numbers (herds) of animals in thick bush it would make sense to carry the most powerful hammer one could handle.

These days, for a recreational hunter with a P.H backing up and with one or two animals on license and if you want to carry your own firearm carry weight comes in to play (well at least it does for me).
Most .577's are made at 13 - 14lbs which for mine was a LOT of gun to carry for extended periods.
The other disadvantage (for me) in the .577 was my slowed recovery from recoil from each shot.

Personally, I settled for the .500 N.E and have never regretted the decision.
My V.C now weighs 9lbs 12ozs, is a joy to carry and shoot and regularly prints smaller than grapefruit composite groups with the left and right shooting 475gn brass bullets at 2400fps giving me well in excess of 6000ft lbs, more than enough for anything I would suggest and more importantly driving a bullet than can be relied upon time and again.

Best of luck with your .577, I surely take my hat off to those that commit to this big hammer !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DelbertBat

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross