Is it currently safe to take a Limpopo safari?

I have a hunt booked in the Limpopo providence for September. My outfitter sent me an email tonight that it was unsafe to travel to South Africa due to civil unrest Due to upset over the former president facing criminal charges. He wants me to cancel my hunt and reschedule next year. I have already made arrangements to be in South Africa for another hunt following the one i have booked with him. Can anyone provide insight as to the advisability of proceeding with a safari hunt in Limpopo province in september?
I hunted the first week in July in Limpopo. It was days after the president was imprisoned. I had no problems at all. The reports while I was there was their were protest and some road blockages due to protestors that I never saw. I would go back right now in a heartbeat with no fear

I hunted Limpopo in June and they were already having rolling blackouts on a nightly bases. I was on a auction hunt and had a wonderful hunt and would not hesitate to try another. Hopefully you can get this straightened out.

The problem for me was he had what seemed to be a good internet presence when I bought the hunt in 2020 before covid hit.
I certainly did not mean to insinuate that you were suckered by buying an auction hunt. But if you play the auction game long enough you get burned. I truly appreciate you posting this thread and the outfitter so maybe others can learn.

I don't know about Covid in RSA, the civil unrest or the power plant problem so I can't comment on them. I also won a hunt in the Eastern Cape in 2019 with an outfitter that I was unfamiliar with. I was skeptical as well but what I did was contact the organization that I won the hunt through, contacted PHASA about the credibility of the hunting company and prepared myself financially to spend two weeks in RSA without a hunt to attend. All turned out excellently. But remember Caveat Emptor. Good Luck

I, also have had a couple of excellent auction hunts. I have written reports on here about the hunts. Good luck figuring out what to do.
Bruce

I have a hunt booked in the Limpopo providence for September. My outfitter sent me an email tonight that it was unsafe to travel to South Africa due to civil unrest Due to upset over the former president facing criminal charges. He wants me to cancel my hunt and reschedule next year. I have already made arrangements to be in South Africa for another hunt following the one i have booked with him. Can anyone provide insight as to the advisability of proceeding with a safari hunt in Limpopo province in september?
I myself am living in Limpopo at the moment and have had no issues travelling around, my father had an American on his farm in Limpopo just last week and they had no issues travelling between OR Tambo and Alldays (the town where his farm is situated).

I feel like every African outfitter horror story starts with.... I won a free hunt. I would not be going on this trip. And just looking for a new outfitter. You know the old saying.... you get what you pay for.

In 2018 I may have had a beer too many at a banquet and won the auction for a hunt in Limpopo. As it was a hunt for 4, I invited 3 friends to go with and we booked the hunt. In hindsight I wouldn’t go down that path again…. Ended up hunting on concessions much smaller than I prefer and all things considered I wouldn’t choose that outfit again - there are many people who like and enjoy their style of hunting and I’m not here to run their name in the ground. My point being, if you are going to spend the $ to go on a safari I would suggest researching the company and making sure your expectations will be met prior to sending a deposit.
Things I have learned to inquire about:
1. How big are the concessions
2. How many concessions
3. How many clients they cycle through each year.
4. How many clients will be in camp at the same time
5. With is the client/PH ratio.

Then inquire with friends or knowledgeable hunters about their experiences and after all that compare their overall pricing to see if it fits the budget.

I'm at Kuche Safaris right now. Arrived in Johannesburg on the 14th was picked up and transported to Limpopo. Having the best hunt ever. Heading back to Oklahoma on Monday.

In 2018 I may have had a beer too many at a banquet and won the auction for a hunt in Limpopo. As it was a hunt for 4, I invited 3 friends to go with and we booked the hunt. In hindsight I wouldn’t go down that path again…. Ended up hunting on concessions much smaller than I prefer and all things considered I wouldn’t choose that outfit again - there are many people who like and enjoy their style of hunting and I’m not here to run their name in the ground. My point being, if you are going to spend the $ to go on a safari I would suggest researching the company and making sure your expectations will be met prior to sending a deposit.
Things I have learned to inquire about:
1. How big are the concessions
2. How many concessions
3. How many clients they cycle through each year.
4. How many clients will be in camp at the same time
5. With is the client/PH ratio.

Then inquire with friends or knowledgeable hunters about their experiences and after all that compare their overall pricing to see if it fits the budget.
My apologies - was reading several posts and though I replied to a different one

Not saying that these never work out OK as some obviously do. But think about it- the outfitter or middleman or organization is usually providing these at some kind of discount ON THEIR TERMS. They could be simply filling time slots in a calendar that isn't full or they could be offering them as a simple loss leader where their word of mouth or other advertising effort is not filling their calendar or it could be perfectly legitimate charitable effort. Who knows? In worst case, there could be a whole list of reasons they would just as soon not inform you about... and so on. Ask yourself, "why are they or why would they need to run discounted loss leaders in the first place???" Due diligence is always called for. But in the end, these are set up, priced and scheduled on THEIR terms for their purposes and reasons, NOT YOURS. caveat emptor

I just returned from a hunt in Limpopo on Friday. We hunted with Kuche Safari's and we had a no issues. We hunted five days, then the outfitter took us to a resort by Pilanesberg and we did the touristy stuff at the national park for 4 days E/G., game drives, hot air balloons, spa etc... Make sure to have you COVID test complete, it must be a PCR to get into South Africa. We brought some of those home self tests and used them to get back into the states.

It was my first trip and I don't know how it could have gone better!!

I am very sorry but you have been screwed on a donated hunt. This happens more than you think. He is not telling the truth on the political situation. He may be having the other problems he mentions but it is his job to overcome them when he books someone.
If I were you I would begin the process of changing flights and or booking a different outfitter.

Reactions: IvW
Very sad .Get your money back and try another outfitter or extent your other booked hunt with added species .

I just got back from hunting the Free State for 9 days and ran into several people coming from or going to the Limpopo and never heard anything like that. Some folks we are in constant contact with went up there and hunted in the last few days and they were fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odoodevelopers

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross