Is it currently safe to take a Limpopo safari?

Missourihunter

Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
I have a hunt booked in the Limpopo providence for September. My outfitter sent me an email tonight that it was unsafe to travel to South Africa due to civil unrest Due to upset over the former president facing criminal charges. He wants me to cancel my hunt and reschedule next year. I have already made arrangements to be in South Africa for another hunt following the one i have booked with him. Can anyone provide insight as to the advisability of proceeding with a safari hunt in Limpopo province in september?

I am not sure, I won the hunt in an auction. The website is down but others here stated they had a good hut with this outfitter. He wrote me
“At this point I am going to ask that we postpone the hunt till next year, we have had a power plant close to us explode and we have been warned against attacks on all our key points in the country.
All this due to imprisonment of our previous president.
Several workers at the lodge we use are going through covid etc too. And one of the landowners has just passed away too due to covid.”
In my internet searching I can confirm they had a power plant in the Limpopo province have an explosion but I have not heard anything more since July about civil unrest.
so I am trying to do my due diligence before getting back to him

Safe to travel and yes their was an explosion due to a maintenance issue not dueto any unrest or sabotage...and yes it is safe to travel and hunt in Limpopo...

You are on a donated hunt. He has offered you reasons not to come that are not completely true. The civil unrest excuse is particularly puzzling. Though it may well be he has a Covid issue on his farm. I can’t help but wonder if a full pay client wants those dates.

There are rumours of unrest again on 23 August. But I am going lion hunting on the 25th and they better not screw with it!!!

I do however think it's just a bluff

Last edited:
Safe to travel to Limpopo I would not worry except why the outfitter is telling you its unsafe?

Puzzling. Financial issues with the outfitter? Staffing issues? Sounds questionable…

Three of us, just returned from a 16 day hunt. 6 of those days were in the Limpopo Province. In our travels from the Northwest Province to Limpopo Province: all looked as well as it did since our last visit in 2018. I was a little concerned that we may have some issues at our time of travel as we’re were in JNB at the same time the riots were ongoing, but again I saw no signs of unrest. The airport was very quiet and we made it through in record time.
I suspect that the outfitter has another reason for not wanting you to go. Try to find out why-but your question about being safe: yes.
Hope you have a safe, relaxing and memorable trip.

Sounds shady. Like others have mentioned, could be covid outbreak at his place or maybe financial trouble and they need to get someone else in there. I have avoided auction hunts for those reasons. I'm sure some are fantastic but I'm not talking a chance. I'd rather just pick an outfit myself and go through references and stuff. Hope everything works out.

Something doesn't smell right here for sure....

There is an ulterior motive. The website being down is also a huge red flag (assuming it stays down and not just a glitch).

The other huge red flag is of course that in his reasons he isnt telling the complete truth.

I just returned Monday from various areas in limpopo. Was business as usual and had a fantastic hunt and never once felt unsafe. The camps were extremely happy to have hunters again. And also no rolling blackouts this trip. I have a hard time believing the security issues.

@Missourihunter

Might want to send the outfitter this thread and ask him why no one seems to agree with him, including those with boots on the ground.

I agree with R.MC. The fact that he appears to be lying to you would make me think twice about hunting with him. We have some great operators on here and business is still slow. Since you already have the other hunt and the tickets, why don’t you see if one of our sponsors can help you out. We don’t get to go often enough to hunt with someone we don’t trust.

As sad as it is, it sounds like the outfitter is trying to pull a fast one Next year becomes the year after etc. Just like some of our f**king builders. If you have no money invested...dont invest

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm headed to the Limpopo area in two weeks and will be there for 5 weeks on three different safaris. All of them say it's a go so I have to wonder what your outfitter is talking about..........

The first thing I would do is contact the charity you bought this from.

The second thing I would do is contact your credit card company to see if you qualify for a fraud dispute, if you paid by that method

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.