Is .280 Remington available in Africa?

njc110381

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hi all. I'm thinking of rebarrelling my 6.5x55 to .280 Remington AI but just wondered what the chances would be of finding ammunition in Africa if I visit? It seems easy enough to get in bigger shops here in the UK but I don't know about abroad.

I think it's about the best flat/hard hitting cartridge I can build off of a Sako action 4, which is designed around the .30-06 based case length and head size.

You'll find 7x57 or even 7x64....

HWL

I so wish I could do that with my Sako 338 WM! Would love to have a 280 AI.

280 not readily availible 7x64 Brenneke yes as well as 7x57mm

Looking at the drawings of the cartridges 7x64 and .280 Remington, it appears that one could chamber a 7x64 in a .280 Remington. Is there a sort of interchangeability there that could be had?

It appears a fellow from Argentina was making 7x64 brass from .280 and .30-06 brass by sizing and trimming if needed.

Why not rebarrel to 7X64? It's a wonderful cartridge which has had the advantage of being developed over a long period of time, and European ammunition for it is widely available and very effective. My two longest shots on white tail deer were made with that caliber, both one shot kills.

Looking at the drawings of the cartridges 7x64 and .280 Remington, it appears that one could chamber a 7x64 in a .280 Remington. Is there a sort of interchangeability there that could be had?

It appears a fellow from Argentina was making 7x64 brass from .280 and .30-06 brass by sizing and trimming if needed.
May be do able but if a visiting hunter arrives here with a 280 he will not be able to buy 7x64 Brenneke ammo in any case, paperwork needs to match the ammo

Imo, don't worry about find ammo abroad on a guided hunt. If the luggage didn't make it, there will be another gun for you to use. With that said, I would rather borrow someone else's gun for the week than someone else's underwear :E Hmmm:

Hi all. I'm thinking of rebarrelling my 6.5x55 to .280 Remington AI but just wondered what the chances would be of finding ammunition in Africa if I visit? It seems easy enough to get in bigger shops here in the UK but I don't know about abroad.

I think it's about the best flat/hard hitting cartridge I can build off of a Sako action 4, which is designed around the .30-06 based case length and head size.
@njc110381
If I was limited to just one cartridge for most of my game hunting it would be the 280AI. Despite being a good cartridge in its own right the 6.5x55 or any other 6.5 has never floated my boat.
I know it's only 0.5mm difference but what a difference it makes . My philosophy is a good 160 grain @ 3,000fps is capable of handling most game and the 280 AI fits that bill.
I don't know of its available in Africa tho.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LawerenceV

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross