Is .280 Remington available in Africa?

njc110381

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hi all. I'm thinking of rebarrelling my 6.5x55 to .280 Remington AI but just wondered what the chances would be of finding ammunition in Africa if I visit? It seems easy enough to get in bigger shops here in the UK but I don't know about abroad.

I think it's about the best flat/hard hitting cartridge I can build off of a Sako action 4, which is designed around the .30-06 based case length and head size.

HWL

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Germany, Austria, Norway
You'll find 7x57 or even 7x64....

HWL

shootist~

Silver supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA Life Member, USPSA Certified Range Officer (inactive), NRA Certified Instructor (inactive)
Hunted
USA, Mexico
I so wish I could do that with my Sako 338 WM! Would love to have a 280 AI.

IvW

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASA, CHASA
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Namibia,Zambia
280 not readily availible 7x64 Brenneke yes as well as 7x57mm

shootist~

Silver supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA Life Member, USPSA Certified Range Officer (inactive), NRA Certified Instructor (inactive)
Hunted
USA, Mexico

Forrest Halley

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Looking at the drawings of the cartridges 7x64 and .280 Remington, it appears that one could chamber a 7x64 in a .280 Remington. Is there a sort of interchangeability there that could be had?

It appears a fellow from Argentina was making 7x64 brass from .280 and .30-06 brass by sizing and trimming if needed.

xausa

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Why not rebarrel to 7X64? It's a wonderful cartridge which has had the advantage of being developed over a long period of time, and European ammunition for it is widely available and very effective. My two longest shots on white tail deer were made with that caliber, both one shot kills.

IvW

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASA, CHASA
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Namibia,Zambia
Looking at the drawings of the cartridges 7x64 and .280 Remington, it appears that one could chamber a 7x64 in a .280 Remington. Is there a sort of interchangeability there that could be had?

It appears a fellow from Argentina was making 7x64 brass from .280 and .30-06 brass by sizing and trimming if needed.
May be do able but if a visiting hunter arrives here with a 280 he will not be able to buy 7x64 Brenneke ammo in any case, paperwork needs to match the ammo

Forrest Halley

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
May be do able but if a visiting hunter arrives here with a 280 he will not be able to buy 7x64 Brenneke ammo in any case, paperwork needs to match the ammo
How's that work for .458 Lott and trying to buy WM?

curtism1234

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Imo, don't worry about find ammo abroad on a guided hunt. If the luggage didn't make it, there will be another gun for you to use. With that said, I would rather borrow someone else's gun for the week than someone else's underwear :E Hmmm:

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
Hi all. I'm thinking of rebarrelling my 6.5x55 to .280 Remington AI but just wondered what the chances would be of finding ammunition in Africa if I visit? It seems easy enough to get in bigger shops here in the UK but I don't know about abroad.

I think it's about the best flat/hard hitting cartridge I can build off of a Sako action 4, which is designed around the .30-06 based case length and head size.
@njc110381
If I was limited to just one cartridge for most of my game hunting it would be the 280AI. Despite being a good cartridge in its own right the 6.5x55 or any other 6.5 has never floated my boat.
I know it's only 0.5mm difference but what a difference it makes . My philosophy is a good 160 grain @ 3,000fps is capable of handling most game and the 280 AI fits that bill.
I don't know of its available in Africa tho.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JAM

Latest profile posts

AGNK wrote on geoff rath's profile.
G’day Geoff,
Mate, I noticed you purchased a rifle from overseas.... can you tell me the procedure of importing a rifle to Australia from a private seller?
Cheers
AGNK
I did a little housekeeping in my shop and found some .500 Jeffery ammo that I no longer need. Superior Ammunition and Hendershots loaded them, along with AHR (American Hunting Rifles). Several Woodleigh/A-Square solids along with lead bullets in both 535g and 600g. Message me for any details.

IMG_8092.jpg
IMG_8091.jpg
IMG_8090.jpg
IMG_8094.jpg
pam308 wrote on TOBY458's profile.
Just saw your listing for a winchester 70 458. Is it still for sale? I want it!!! pam308
flatwater bill wrote on john stroud's profile.
Leopard Legend....................Hi John.............I see that you have not visited AH in awhile. Hope all is well. I am looking for a hunt in Namibia..............would like to ask a few questions about your hunt.............all the best..............................Bill
Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian