Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI Portland Chapter, Oregon
Hello All,
I'm a new member that somehow stumbled on to the sight. I'm a 51 year old history teacher in the Oregon public schools. I was bitten my the hunting bug so far back I can't remember. I've taken quite a few roosevelt elk & blacktail deer in my hunting career.

I fell in love with the idea of Africa after my parents divorced when I was 12. Mom & I moved to the coast of Oregon. Once a week I'd get to go to the public library, where I read everything I could on Africa....Rurak, Patterson, Capstick, Bell, Hunter, Roosevelt...you name it.

Last year my buddy had me over to his house to meet his PH from Steyn Caracal Safaris. After a two day discussion with him & the wife about what animals & if we could afford it; the wonderful wife said, " give him a deposit, it'll never get any cheaper".

So in about 190 days I take off for J-burg for my 1st hunt of a lifetime...(I'm already planning a second trip). I have lioness, gemsbok, blesbok, impalla, kudu, baboons & jackals on my bag list.

I also am going to be a tester for Rhino bullets. My buddy is the only one in the USA to import them from Africa.

My guns that will go are my CZ .416 Rigby (that I won at the SCI banquet last year). My Remington .338 WM & my .7mm-08 for the wife.

Cheers,
Karamojo Bill

When I leave this world I want to come skidding through the Pearly Gates & hear God say, "Whoa, boy! That was a heck of a ride!"

Greetings! 190 days but who is counting right. LOL I am sure you are going to have a great time.

This is a wonderful site and I can't imagine you requiring any sort of information regarding Africa that cannot be found on this site or get answered by someone here.

Cheers,

Karamojo Bill, Stumbuling is as good a way to get here as any... as long as you're here! Happy to hear that you are finally going to get to fulfill your boyhood dream, that's important stuff. I happen to know Charl Watts of Steyn Caracal Safaris for over 10 years now, I don't know if you are going to be hunting with him but he is a good guy. And although I have not personally visited his hunting outfit all I have heard are good things so I think that you are in good hands. Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions, although it seems that you are pretty knowledgeable already. If I could give you any advice it would be to just make sure to enjoy the moment as your safari will go by so fast. This is something that I hear from so many hunters returning from Africa.

Be sure when you get back to tell us all about your hunting safari and share some pictures with us. Look forward to hearing more from you.

I have met Chico Petera & Abie Steyn. I have not met Charl Watts...yet but Gideon Watts is my PH for the lion!

In the brochure that I booked my hunt from there was a picture of Gideon standing beside a "little guy" in overalls holding a leopard. They pointed out that Gideon had blood on his enormous professional Rugby sized thighs.

Evidentally, the "Little guy" had made a bad shot and the leopard got ahold of him. Gideon ran up, grabbed it, and pulled it off the guy and killed it with his hunting knife....I hear that he's done this TWICE! When I heard that, I said That's my guy for dangerous game!

I use "little guy" in quotes because I hear Gideon is somewhere around 6'5".

Don't do it Karamojo Bill, it's like a disease that cannot be cured. It sounds like you already have it though if you are planning your second trip before leaving for your first. I am glad to hear you are taking your wife and I am sure she will love it, mine does. Here in the US we have some woderful hunting and some beautiful country, but Africa grabs you and won't let go. Whatever people have told you, whatever you have read, will not compare to what you will experience on your first safari. Even as I write this I have chills running up and down my spine just thinking about it. You will have the time of your life. Don't forget to enjoy the entire experience and not just the hunting. Take an extra suitcase just for curios, it's funny but those little doodads that you buy for a dollar or two will bring it all back in a flood of memories every time you see or touch one. Take lots of pictures and not just of animals. I keep a journal and write down everything we do and see along with the names of everyone we come into contact with. Learn a few words in Afrikaans before you go and practice on your PH. Don't be afraid to try all the foods even if they have names like "monkey gland sauce". Get ready to be treated like royalty and enjoy how polite people can be. Eat as much biltong as you can, and spend plenty of time around the campfire wondering at the Southern Cross. Good luck as you depart on your safari "the last great adventure".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg