Interesting rifle on the way... .35 Whelen

Bob, have you ever used a 250 Gr. Hot Core on game? If so what and how did it do. By comparison they are cheap bullets, so far I've only used them for target practice. I'm thinking they would be just fine for deer or hogs but I was unwilling to use them in Africa.
Not Bob here but I have used 250 grain hot cores on hogs and deer. Can't speak to expansion as I never recovered a slug but all shots resulted in dead animals with jellified lungs. Meat damage was not bad either. Did find some bone fragments when I got into shoulder or leg bones. I have used them in both the Whelen and the 358 Winchester. Not my most accurate loads but they hold 1.25- 1.5 MOA. Good hunting.

You know, I don't even have to look at the names anymore to see who's posting. The pet guns are easy enough.
Anything .35 Whelen is @Bob Nelson 35Whelen .
Anything lever gun powerful or .45-70 or .405 DR is @crs .
Anything trying to fit a .458 WM in as a do all rifle is @Professor Mawla .
Anything mentioning .458 Lott or .243 is @CoElkHunter trying to rile me and Bob up.
I love this place and I hope you gentlemen are all enjoying your weekend.

Back on topic, I think this is a very interesting idea for the 1895. Really an overlooked chambering with a great power level with great plinking bullet availability and the ability to shoot flatter than the .405.

Bruce,
And if there’s a discussion about the 9.3x64 or the .280, your right there in the conversation with your expertise on those cartridges. Good thing we have a variety to choose from and many experts here to share their experiences with them or it would get very boring quickly.
CEH

Last edited:
c e h
don't forget the 7mm stw.
bruce.
Oh yeah, I forgot. An 8mm Rem necked down to .284. I just Googled it as I forgot what the parent cartridge was. The 7mmRM looks puny next to it?

You know, I don't even have to look at the names anymore to see who's posting. The pet guns are easy enough.
Anything .35 Whelen is @Bob Nelson 35Whelen .
Anything lever gun powerful or .45-70 or .405 DR is @crs .
Anything trying to fit a .458 WM in as a do all rifle is @Professor Mawla .
Anything mentioning .458 Lott or .243 is @CoElkHunter trying to rile me and Bob up.
I love this place and I hope you gentlemen are all enjoying your weekend.

Back on topic, I think this is a very interesting idea for the 1895. Really an overlooked chambering with a great power level with great plinking bullet availability and the ability to shoot flatter than the .405.
We have a great group of people here that are always willing to share their vast knowledge on a wide range of subjects. That is very comforting in these trying times. Thank you all.

forrest,
bob nelson also mentions the 243.
and russ promotes the 458 pretty well.
bruce.
@bruce moulds
I might mention that horrible little caliber but I assure you that I have nothing nice t o say about it. If it actually did something spectacular I might say something nice about it but I doubt it.
Bob

@bruce moulds
I might mention that horrible little caliber but I assure you that I have nothing nice t o say about it. If it actually did something spectacular I might say something nice about it but I doubt it.
Bob
Oh it does something spectacular alright mate. I hear they whisper it in your ear when you're unconscious, "Turn away from the light, they have .243's there."
So far Bob has survived three plane crashes, six motor vehicle accidents and a red back spider bite...:ROFLMAO:

Oh it does something spectacular alright mate. I hear they whisper it in your ear when you're unconscious, "Turn away from the light, they have .243's there."
So far Bob has survived three plane crashes, six motor vehicle accidents and a red back spider bite...:ROFLMAO:
@Forrest Halley
Mate never heard that one before but I do remember being welcomed into the 35 fold of enlightenment and wisdom.

So yeah I go into the valley of hunting
I will fear no animal or 243 owner
For I have the mighty 35 on my side.
Mountains will shake and animals will flee in the face of such awesomeness.
Bob

@Forrest Halley
Mate never heard that one before but I do remember being welcomed into the 35 fold of enlightenment and wisdom.

So yeah I go into the valley of hunting
I will fear no animal or 243 owner
For I have the mighty 35 on my side.
Mountains will shake and animals will flee in the face of such awesomeness.
Bob
Yea though I control most of the valley of I'm hunting,
I will fear no long shots,
For thy six millimeter goodness doth buck the wind and strike true,
Fists will shake and .35 bore owners will spit out good whiskey in awe of such divine greatness.

There, I fixed it for you...:LOL:

Fists will shake and .35 bore owners will spit out good whiskey in awe of such divine greatness.

@Forrest Halley
Yeah for the 243 owner who talks so much shit.
For it has come to pass that the 25s are the true rulers that buck wind better and strike harder.
Beware the 243 owner owner that spreads the untruth perpetrated but the evil companies that set out to destroy the mightty 25.
For the 25 was with us before thy birth you horrible little cartridge.
Be gone you demon never to infest the pages of hunting again.
Bob

I just noticed this thread is over a year old? I’m sure by now Stoppelman has found himself an 1895 chambered in 6.5 CR and now his Whelen is sitting in his safe?

@Forrest Halley
Yeah for the 243 owner who talks so much shit.
For it has come to pass that the 25s are the true rulers that buck wind better and strike harder.
Beware the 243 owner owner that spreads the untruth perpetrated but the evil companies that set out to destroy the mightty 25.
For the 25 was with us before thy birth you horrible little cartridge.
Be gone you demon never to infest the pages of hunting again.
Bob
The 5R twist barrels have really elevated this cartridge. You can run a 120 grain bullet now and group out to 1000 yards. Clearly good enough for woodchucks and coyotes. Inside of 200 yards the possibilities are endless.
I just noticed this thread is over a year old? I’m sure by now Stoppelman has found himself an 1895 chambered in 6.5 CR and now his Whelen is sitting in his safe?
That's only 0.5mm away from whiskey spitting goodness.

The 5R twist barrels have really elevated this cartridge. You can run a 120 grain bullet now and group out to 1000 yards. Clearly good enough for woodchucks and coyotes. Inside of 200 yards the possibilities are endless.

That's only 0.5mm away from whiskey spitting goodness.
@Forrest Halley
At least it's ok for paper punching but as a HUNTING cartridge it leave a lot to be desired
5R rifling has made no difference the twist rate has.
Do the same to the ed 25 and a 135 grain and your statement is null and void.
Bob

@Forrest Halley
Yeah fists of 35 owners will shake at the pathetic little cartridge for it wounds a lot requiring the humble 35 or 25 owner to finish thy deed .
They will offer thy alcohol to the 6mm owner to calm their embarrassment and never spit good alcohol out .
For the 25 and 35 owners are humble in there greatness.
The 6mm owners shall throw down their arms and listen to the wisdom of others.
Bob.

@Forrest Halley
Yeah fists of 35 owners will shake at the pathetic little cartridge for it wounds a lot requiring the humble 35 or 25 owner to finish thy deed .
They will offer thy alcohol to the 6mm owner to calm their embarrassment and never spit good alcohol out .
For the 25 and 35 owners are humble in there greatness.
The 6mm owners shall throw down their arms and listen to the wisdom of others.
Bob.
The mighty fists of .358 righteousness,
Didn't make the DG power list,
With the .243 lumped in they stay,
On lesser game they're forced to prey.
On the African Savannah you hear them roar,
At hyenas, impalas and wild boar.
With Dagga Boys they cannot play,
And with the .243's they must stay.
So shout and drink your .35 sorrows away,
Cuz with .243's you must stay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlessdiuse

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg