Interesting African painting

Stretch

AH fanatic
Joined
Feb 26, 2012
Messages
638
Reaction score
184
Media
29
Hunting reports
Africa
3
Hunted
USA , Canada, New Zealand, Botswana, South Africa, Namibia
This is a painting that was published in a April 1951 Outdoor life magazine. This painting was specially commissioned for the magazine by one of the most talented wildlife artist "Bob Kuhn." It appeared with the article "The African Buffalo." I found the old magazine in my fathers attic.
DSC00347.jpg
 
Thanks for sharing.
Those action covers bring back memories.
 
Great picture stretch thanks for showing us mate do you have anymore of them
brick do you remember that edition ?:fishing:
 
I found about 25 magazines. Some are Outdoor Life, some are Sports Afield. Here is another interesting painting by Bob Kuhn. This one appeared in November 1950 Outdoor Life issue with the story "his Majesty, The African Lion."
View attachment 15402

Then there is the Outdoor Life July 1953 issue with the article "Pembe Moja" that depicted a bull jumbo taking a thumping to the head, yet continued his charge.
View attachment 15403

Another issue from July 1951 Sports Afield displays a tantalizing report called "You Bet They're Dangerous", highlighted with a broken tusk jumbo giving one unlucky feller a ride through the air.
View attachment 15404

Enjoy!
 
Great picture stretch thanks for showing us mate do you have anymore of them
brick do you remember that edition ?:fishing:

Just the style.
 
no good stretch im not getting it mate
the way the service is with this bloody weather i probly wont have it for much longer , until i get closer to shore
damn shame that :(:(
 
Nice, I love those old pictures/paintings!
 
I remember those old magazine pictures/paintings. Now that I am thinking about it, I believe my grandfather may have had a secret desire to hunt in Africa..... These are the only old magazines he would keep, the ones with the African hunting stories. I also inherited 3 of his Dana Browns Safari Coffee tins, (which I have displayed in my Africa room), wow, grandpa never made it to Africa. Thanks Stretch, for helping me remember those days.
 
Stretch, thanks for posting, but the 3 pictures from your second message do not open. Can you try again? The buffalo is fantastic. Someone in that picture looks to be in trouble...:fear::scared:
 
Stretch, thanks for posting, but the 3 pictures from your second message do not open. Can you try again? The buffalo is fantastic. Someone in that picture looks to be in trouble...:fear::scared:

I am glad everyone is enjoying these. Does my heart good. I will try to repost the last three attachments one at a time. Hope that helps.

I found about 25 magazines. Some are Outdoor Life, some are Sports Afield. Here is another interesting painting by Bob Kuhn. This one appeared in November 1950 Outdoor Life issue with the story "his Majesty, The African Lion."

View attachment 15452
 
Then there is the Outdoor Life July 1953 issue with the article "Pembe Moja" that depicted a bull jumbo taking a thumping to the head, yet continued his charge.

View attachment 15453
 
Another issue from July 1951 Sports Afield displays a tantalizing report called "You Bet They're Dangerous", highlighted with a broken tusk jumbo giving one unlucky feller a ride through the air.

View attachment 15454
 
thats a beautiful old hunting painting !

here is another old lion hunt painting

'after the hunt'

afterthelionhunt_zps2b6c5043.jpg
 

Attachments

  • afterthelionhunt_zps2b6c5043.jpg
    afterthelionhunt_zps2b6c5043.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 216

Forum statistics

Threads
70,290
Messages
1,571,804
Members
169,417
Latest member
SommerDoug
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top