IMR 4451

M70375!

AH fanatic
Joined
Mar 8, 2024
Messages
723
Reaction score
1,091
Location
Wyoming
Media
18
Hunting reports
Africa
3
Hunted
Botswana, Mozambique Alaska, Canada, MT WY NM ID ND SD OR KS
Has anyone got any experience with IMR 4451 in 375H&H or 416 Rem?
 
Since it’s discontinued, I wouldn’t bother with an elaborate load work up unless you’ve got a couple jugs of the stuff. If you’re just burning off leftovers, go with whatever is on the Hodgdon site or generated by Quickload. It’s really frustrating when they discontinue a powder right after you’ve dialed in a load.
 
Since it’s discontinued, I wouldn’t bother with an elaborate load work up unless you’ve got a couple jugs of the stuff. If you’re just burning off leftovers, go with whatever is on the Hodgdon site or generated by Quickload. It’s really frustrating when they discontinue a powder right after you’ve dialed in a load.
I just bought 24 pounds of it this spring for $27 a pound , so I am wanting burn some of it up for practice loads in the 375, I just can't get my Model 70 to shoot the 270 grainers that I want to burn up shooting rocks on my morning walks. No room in the mag to play with seating depth, so frustrating that they never made the mag box longer like Remington did.
 
In both cartridges, the load data looks very similar to h4350, at least on the Hodgdon site. I’d back off maybe 10% and chrono a load or two to see whether your rifle runs hot or cold. In both cases, it almost looks like you can’t stuff enough powder in the case to get into any real trouble, but rifle chambers vary, and it never hurts to err on the side of caution. FWIW, there’s load data for both cartridges on the Hodgdon website.
 
So far I've only used IMR 4451 in 243 and 270 Winchester (with good 3/4 MOA results), but it's twin on the burn rate chart (IMR 4350) has given me excellent 2/3 MOA results in 375 H&H using Barnes 300 grain TSX's and 71.0 grains of powder. I would imagine it would do great with the 270 grainers in 375.

I've got about half of my original 1 pound container of 4451 left, and obviously won't be buying anymore; but that's totally fine, because I currently have probably more IMR 4350 than I will shoot in my lifetime.
 
In both cartridges, the load data looks very similar to h4350, at least on the Hodgdon site. I’d back off maybe 10% and chrono a load or two to see whether your rifle runs hot or cold. In both cases, it almost looks like you can’t stuff enough powder in the case to get into any real trouble, but rifle chambers vary, and it never hurts to err on the side of caution. FWIW, there’s load data for both cartridges on the Hodgdon website.
Thank you Sir
 
So far I've only used IMR 4451 in 243 and 270 Winchester (with good 3/4 MOA results), but it's twin on the burn rate chart (IMR 4350) has given me excellent 2/3 MOA results in 375 H&H using Barnes 300 grain TSX's and 71.0 grains of powder. I would imagine it would do great with the 270 grainers in 375.

I've got about half of my original 1 pound container of 4451 left, and obviously won't be buying anymore; but that's totally fine, because I currently have probably more IMR 4350 than I will shoot in my lifetime.
Thank you Sir
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,270
Messages
1,571,152
Members
169,271
Latest member
AlfredoPel
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt Meister
480-410-1594
azklmsr462@gmail.com

have a great evening
autofire wrote on ThinAirHunter's profile.
I think forum prohibits making reference or giving personal references to PH/Outfitters that don't advertise on this forum.

But you can call me. I would be happy to discuss Cape Buffalo .

Bob 813-310-6992
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
 
Top