Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
In another discussion the issue of whether meat can be imported was brought up. I found that the Canadian regulations seem to indicate certain meat inspection regulations do not apply to game meat up to 20kg. I quote the excerpt here and it seems to be in reference to any internationalimport not just from the USA. One problem will be hoping the particular officer at the border knows the right answer as I had mixed results when I called them on another occasion. But,has anyone ever brought the meat home from their safari? It would be cool to bring home a roast or something to enjoy in the week following one's return.

Chapter 1 of the Meat Hygiene Manual of Procedures (MOP). TAHD import requirements may still apply.

Section (3) of the Meat Inspection Regulations, 1990:
Meat products exempted from the application of the Act

3. (1) Sections 7 to 9 of the Act do not apply in respect of:

(a) a shipment of meat products weighing 20 kg or less that is intended to be used for non-commercial purposes;

(f) a carcass of a game animal or a part of a carcass of a game animal, including the carcass or part of the carcass of the animal that is considered to be a game animal in another country, that is to be used for non-commercial purposes;

(j) animal skins not intended for use as human or animal food, hooves, horns, feathers, hair, wool and pharmaceuticals containing products of animal origin;

Dealing with customs in general can be a pain in the @$$ but trying to import raw meat from another country/continent would probably be a nightmare imo. You aren't getting a clear answer from them because they don't really have any experience with something like this. A lot of customs officials don't even have a lot of experience when it comes to importing hunting trophies into the country because only a relatively small # of people do it. Now in your case you are probably the first person that has inquired about this. When you are bringing in cleaned animal products into the country i.e. hides, skulls, horns etc... they are very strict about it and the parts must be completely cleaned and disinfected- in many cases chemically treated.

But customs aside just think about transporting it- how would you ensure that a piece of raw meat would arrive from Africa to Canada and not spoil? A flight from Africa to Canada lasts in excess of 24 hours id imagine (including actual flight time and layovers). If you where to ship it using a shipping company I don't think the chances of it arriving fresh are particularly good and the costs would be fairly high. And you would also probably need a customs broker, which costs $.

It seems like a lot of trouble to go through for just one roast to have a week after your safari. JMO but it'd be best to enjoy the roast and African game meats during your safari in Africa. Bring back the memories, pictures and trophies home with you

You are absolutely right of course....but still....could you imagine getting back and having a couple of friends over "guys, on the BBQ tonight is Kudu":cool:

I will tell you why I am musing on it. We were actually ok to bring game meat back from the USA as long as it did not contain any remnants from the central nervous system. There is no wasting disease here so those precautions were very strict. It was actually reasonably straight forward once we got to the boarder and dealt with that concern.

So, now on to the logistics: a choice cut is wrapped and frozen in Africa. Ideally they would use one of those contraptions to seal up the meat in plastic when they hunt themselves. Place it with ice in something like a 20qt yeti or Pelican cooler (a robust cooler so it can be checked baggage unless there is one small enough to be carry on) ; that should be good for a couple of days. At the boarder declare the meat with an invoice from the outfitter describing the contents (that was required for my USA trip).

Hey, after buying the cooler and paying the charge to travel with it, you will have the distinct pleasure of serving up a $400 piece of meat. :oops:

OK so, there are flaws to this scheme...but still....Kudu on the BBQ:cool: If it is legal there must be a way.

BTW, I am just doing mental gymnastics because I am still currently organizing my first trip and there is no way I would try this the first time out. And, I strongly suspect there are exceptions for game meat brought back from the USA as opposed to other countries....But still....

And it would go so nicely with that bottle of wine that was brought back!

Pheroze

The best thing to figure out is how to be in Africa as much as possible the rest of your life.....hunting, eating wild game and drinking fine wine

You are absolutely right of course....but still....could you imagine getting back and having a couple of friends over "guys, on the BBQ tonight is Kudu":cool:

I will tell you why I am musing on it. We were actually ok to bring game meat back from the USA as long as it did not contain any remnants from the central nervous system. There is no wasting disease here so those precautions were very strict. It was actually reasonably straight forward once we got to the boarder and dealt with that concern.

So, now on to the logistics: a choice cut is wrapped and frozen in Africa. Ideally they would use one of those contraptions to seal up the meat in plastic when they hunt themselves. Place it with ice in something like a 20qt yeti or Pelican cooler (a robust cooler so it can be checked baggage unless there is one small enough to be carry on) ; that should be good for a couple of days. At the boarder declare the meat with an invoice from the outfitter describing the contents (that was required for my USA trip).

Hey, after buying the cooler and paying the charge to travel with it, you will have the distinct pleasure of serving up a $400 piece of meat. :oops:

OK so, there are flaws to this scheme...but still....Kudu on the BBQ:cool: If it is legal there must be a way.

BTW, I am just doing mental gymnastics because I am still currently organizing my first trip and there is no way I would try this the first time out. And, I strongly suspect there are exceptions for game meat brought back from the USA as opposed to other countries....But still....

And it would go so nicely with that bottle of wine that was brought back!

Pheroze

Oh don't get me wrong that would be pretty awesome; if the experience is worth the cost, power to you buddy, go for it! I'm sure most people on here have had what seems like a crazy idea to most people around them once, twice or a few times in their life (I know I have lol), so I'm sure we can relate :D.

I've never personally imported game meat but I do know American hunters who went to hunt black bear in Ontario and they brought back meat, the skull and the hide without any problems. They just got the $30 or so CITES permit. But the thing to keep in mind here is since you would be bringing back just a piece of meat and not the trophy(ies) as well you would probably need to get an export permit and veterinary certificates (plus perhaps other paperwork as well) issued for just that piece of meat and that may not be able to happen instantly or in a short period of time (it usually takes a few weeks). Just some things to keep in mind, but hey where there is a will there is a way :D

I could see one scenario where this effort could be worthwhile - bringing back an assortment. If you can put a few pounds of cuts from 5 or 6 different African animals, then bring along biltong from 5 or 6 different animals, that may be worthwhile treasure for the endeavor. I have friends that would love to try all the different animals. It would definitely be a great way to have a party and share the memories of the African hunt. If that costs $400 and some paperwork, I would consider it worthwhile.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!