Mark Biggerstaff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hey guys anyone of you have any views on the newer Sabatti Big Five Classic doubles imported by Italian Firearms Group? I have read a lot of the reviews on the older Sabatti’s especially the Cabelas guns with the bad muzzles. I have found a 470 nitro at a really good price new in box but I am new to the double game. Any thoughts on this model would be welcome.

Darn near anything you can buy cheap enough is worth a try. Zero personal experience with these but if you do your research, it might be worth a try to see how it shoots. Just make sure it's truly cheap enough, as resale might be tough due to the questionable reputation. Just my .02 anyway

I cannot speak to the 470s, but I bought a 450/400 NE year before last. It did not shoot. 6 to 8" spread between left and right barrels. I did about $200 worth of load development, to no avail.

Long story short, I had to send the rifle to Ken Owens. He did a great job. His test targets had impact less then an inch at 65 yards.

If you are getting a good deal, I would plan on roughly $1k to get the rifle re-regulated if necessary.

I don't know the date of manufacture of my Sabatti .470ne but I will say that I am pleased with it; in particular Ken Own did a trigger job, recoil reducer and regulated my rifle.

FYI - My rifle was NOT one of the ones with ground muzzles.

Actually my Avatar pic is Ken's test target with his own custom peep sights before he soldered the muzzles.

Call it dumb luck or whatever you want, but this rifle regulates and hits to same point of aim with both Hornady and Woodleigh bullets.

4r4Nrtw.jpg
96AHhZq.jpg
vo5TKdl.jpg

Hey guys anyone of you have any views on the newer Sabatti Big Five Classic doubles imported by Italian Firearms Group? I have read a lot of the reviews on the older Sabatti’s especially the Cabelas guns with the bad muzzles. I have found a 470 nitro at a really good price new in box but I am new to the double game. Any thoughts on this model would be welcome.
Mark if it is a new in the box gun then there should be info in the box that would include a target diagram and an indication of what ammo was used to regulate with. Take a look at that.

Mark I owned a 450NE and it shot very well. at one point I also owned a 45/70 in the Cabelas group time frame but it wasn't one of the ground muzzle ones and it was also a shooter. If the price is right go for it as you can have Ken or Arron Little re regulate to your load of choice if it doesn't shoot well outta the box..

Thanks for all the reply’s. I procrastinated to long. It has been sold when I called today. My search will continue for one within my current budget.

I have seen several chapuis in the classifieds on here over the years priced very reasonable.
I have never owned a chapuis but from reputation I would say they are at least as good a gun.

So keep the dream alive, it will happen!

What do you think is a good price?

I have an EDL made in 2019 in 470 w/ ejectors. I've been very happy with it so far. I wanted to test the DR scene without spending 5 figures, and this was a great way to go. 1-1.5" spread at 50 yards. Less than 6k into it and it came with a Nikon African scope, contessa mounts, 2 boxes or ammo, and some other odd and ends.

Screenshot_20191222-154350_GunBroker.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Mind sharing what the one you were looking at was priced?

What do you think is a good price?

It was marked at $6995, but I frequent this place a lot and was told If I wanted It my price was $5700 plus tax. It sold for the price it was marked yesterday. In hindsight I should have bought and not thought about it.

As you have heard. If it regulates within 2 inches at its perceived regulation distance what a deal! I just paid $10,100 for a new Rizzini 470 NE that does 1.0 to 1.5 at its regulation of 50 yards and I can keep it within 2 at 100 yards. Very happy

i own two sabattis doubles. a 9.3x74r extractor and a 450 nitro express. they both shoot within 1 1/2 at 70 yards. i couldnt be happier. worst scenario if u buy it and it isnt regulated well, find an expert like ken owen who will re-regulate. u will still habe much less money into the rifle than some other makers. just my .02c

I'd like to see these back in stock here again, I don't think with my degenerative disc disease that my double rifle dream can come true outside of perhaps the 45-70, but I've had a thing for doubles since I was a young child, like 5yrs old. Dad didn't even hunt... don't know where I got the itch from.

i got the itch for africa hunting as well as double rifles from reading all the great safari writers. capstick, roosevelt, etc. the list goes on.

In my experience the Rizzini in 470 NE was super accurate and workmanship was excellent. The problem is weight. My rifle weight was only 9 pounds meaning recoil was horrible so I had to sell it. So the question becomes what caliber do you want then make sure Rizzini has the proper weight for it

In my experience the Rizzini in 470 NE was super accurate and workmanship was excellent. The problem is weight. My rifle weight was only 9 pounds meaning recoil was horrible so I had to sell it. So the question becomes what caliber do you want then make sure Rizzini has the proper weight for it
At DSC I picked up pretty much every double rifle I could and the Rizzini did seem a touch lighter than the others. The rep at the booth was cool though and a chap and his family walked up an commented on their own experiences with that same gun in Africa. They liked it. In have not been able to find any official reviews of it or the Sabatti though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leonslab

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.