If you had both a 375 and a 416

Classic situation that I suspect happens to a lot of us. It certainly happened to me. We buy DG rifles faster than we use them and there is a backlog in the gun safe to go to Africa :)...

Exactly. In my safe there are rifles in .308 (Sheep rifle), .375, .416, .458, .500 calibers.
.500 has been to Africa for elephant and .416 for PG. I have used the .416 for Elk and .500 for bear as well.
I don't want the .375 and .458 to get jealous so they are going on this upcoming trip :LOL:. The max range for PG is going to about 200 yards at Dante, well within the capabilities of either rifle with appropriate bullets. Personally, I'd rather have too much gun than not enough.

A friend of mine has been after me to put together a long range rifle and I have a .300 RUM in the works.

In CA and also some other States as well I think, lead core bullets are illegal hence the move to Barnes TTX.
I get it, lead will be going away...but for now it's still here and legal in most states.
I understand that there are several grain options from Barnes for 375 caliber if you reload.
However...Barnes offers only one loaded option for 375H&H, a 300 grain TSX.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-14 at 7.30.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-14 at 7.30.45 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 86
  • Screen Shot 2020-02-14 at 7.30.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-14 at 7.30.47 PM.png
    813.4 KB · Views: 81
  • Screen Shot 2020-02-14 at 7.30.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-14 at 7.30.50 PM.png
    700.4 KB · Views: 88
I have followed this thread with great interest since it started.

I will also own up to owning a 375 H&H and a 416 Rigby. Both are custom rifles, the 375 is built on pre 64 Winchester Model 70 while the 416 is built using a Brno ZKK 602 action as the basis. Both my rifles are set up as was proposed by the original poster.

My 375 has a Khales 2.5-10 x 50 Helia C in EAW detachable mounts while the 416 sports a Swarovski Habicht 1.5-6x42 in Talley detachable mounts. I have used and shot most of the game I have hunted in the bushveld with my 375. I shoot reloads using Swift 270 gr A Frames at just over 2600 f/ps. With this rifle I have hunted numerous animals ranging in size from Impala to Eland and I concur with many of previous posters that maintain that a 375 with 300 gr projectiles is a one gun solution to hunting in Africa and in the right hands I believe it can take any of the ‘’Big five” even while not being the best caliber for all.

My 416 was created with a Buffalo hunt in mind and I had and still have, the romantic notion of using this classic African caliber to hunt my buffalo. I regret that to date I have not been able to realize that dream but hope to do so in the not to distant future. The rifle shoots Norma 400gr Swift A Frame softs and Norma 400gr Barnes solids very acurately. Both are factory loaded offerings. I also have a few boxes of the Norma African PH 450 gr softs and solids with Woodleigh points but have not tried them yet

I still envision both my self and my son on a safari trip to hunt buffalo and using both these wonderful rifles. Anyway it doesn’t hurt to dream and until I finally make that buffalo hunt I will gladly use my 375 for the rest of plains game species available to hunt here in Southern Africa.

I own a 375 H&H and a 416 Rigby. I have since going to the DSC developed an itch for a 500. Im considering getting a 500 Jeffery Sako brown bear (I have opted for the Brown Bear due to the fact Im brown and fuzzy. The antis think Im sweet and cuddly until I mention I hunt then Im a demon) :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Whoa is my faith shaken. I trusted you fine folks here at AH to help guide me to make sound decisions when I question a path I now find myself on. This thread was going to be a scripted message of answers. Yet I already know my destiny lay down the exact same twisting path that has been recounted many times in this thread. Until just this week, I thought I had a sound and very defensible hunting rifle strategy. To say I'm not so sure now is an understatement. Let me elaborate.

I cut my hunting teeth in the era of Jack O'. So of course my original workhorse is a 270Win. Then in the late 90's, after deciding I "needed" a bit more umph, ... for elk, etc, I became an early adopter of the 300RUM. My love for that round caused me to pick up a 375 RUM a decade later, for more dangerous game and it's potency has already been proven. Another decade passed when a brief affair..... ok, it's a full bloom and on-going affair, has resulted in a pair of 270WMS appearing on the rack at home. One for western hunting and the other ..... for an experiment spawned by the fun I have on long range steel with my Creedmoor. Yep, I do shoot long range steel with one of my 270WSM. Oh, there are others. Others that I hold admiringly like my fathers '06 Springfield (60 yrs old and still under 0.5MOA ), an older 7x57 Mauser, ...... (sigh)

Then this weekend I got a message from my old hunting buddy from Kansas. He has a CZ 550 in 416 Rigby he wants to sell me for a price I'd be embarrassed to type here. Do I already have PG and DG covered? Yep - on any continent. Do I need a 416 Rigby? (whimper) Nope. So I ask you, my kinsmen, my brothers/sisters, how do I do anything other than send him a damn check and my FFL's address? Wouldn't I be diminished in some way, personally and among my peers, if I let that rifle get away? Think of my years of regret! But what role will the Rigby play in future hunts?

Whoa is my faith shaken. I trusted you fine folks here at AH to help guide me to make sound decisions when I question a path I now find myself on. This thread was going to be a scripted message of answers. Yet I already know my destiny lay down the exact same twisting path that has been recounted many times in this thread. Until just this week, I thought I had a sound and very defensible hunting rifle strategy. To say I'm not so sure now is an understatement. Let me elaborate.

I cut my hunting teeth in the era of Jack O'. So of course my original workhorse is a 270Win. Then in the late 90's, after deciding I "needed" a bit more umph, ... for elk, etc, I became an early adopter of the 300RUM. My love for that round caused me to pick up a 375 RUM a decade later, for more dangerous game and it's potency has already been proven. Another decade passed when a brief affair..... ok, it's a full bloom and on-going affair, has resulted in a pair of 270WMS appearing on the rack at home. One for western hunting and the other ..... for an experiment spawned by the fun I have on long range steel with my Creedmoor. Yep, I do shoot long range steel with one of my 270WSM. Oh, there are others. Others that I hold admiringly like my fathers '06 Springfield (60 yrs old and still under 0.5MOA ), an older 7x57 Mauser, ...... (sigh)

Then this weekend I got a message from my old hunting buddy from Kansas. He has a CZ 550 in 416 Rigby he wants to sell me for a price I'd be embarrassed to type here. Do I already have PG and DG covered? Yep - on any continent. Do I need a 416 Rigby? (whimper) Nope. So I ask you, my kinsmen, my brothers/sisters, how do I do anything other than send him a damn check and my FFL's address? Wouldn't I be diminished in some way, personally and among my peers, if I let that rifle get away? Think of my years of regret! But what role will the Rigby play in future hunts?

Passing up on a CZ550 (now discontinued) in 416RIGBY is just plain crazy.
And you are talking about an excellent price as well...why are you typing and not sending him a check?
I will say that if you pass this up, your membership here will be brought into question.

You ALWAYS need another gun.
It being a DG caliber just makes it sweeter.

... I became an early adopter of the 300RUM. My love for that round caused me to pick up a 375 RUM a decade later, for more dangerous game and it's potency has already been proven. ...

Then this weekend I got a message from my old hunting buddy from Kansas. He has a CZ 550 in 416 Rigby he wants to sell me for a price I'd be embarrassed to type here. Do I already have PG and DG covered? Yep - on any continent. ... But what role will the Rigby play in future hunts?

To be honest as a formidable cartridge, the 375 RUM is 300 fps faster than a .416 Rigby with 350 grain bullets. (2700 vs 2400). So, .416 surpasses it only because it can shoot 400 grain bullets. If you need to go up then I'd go to a .458 caliber rather than just a marginal increase with the .416.

Now, if you just want to collect rifles, sure get it ;)

Edit: BTW, I have CUSTOM rifles in .375, .416, .458 and .500. So, definitely do not follow my own advice.

Last edited:
That’s a very astute analysis of the two cartridges and the root of my dilemma.

Edit: BTW, I have CUSTOM rifles in .375, .416, .458 and .500. So, definitely do not follow my own advice.

And this is proof why we should pause before letting facts a wisdom interfere with passion.!!

You are going to have to shoot a shit load of Buffalo my friend

Holy geez! Didn’t think of that. Hmm, now where can a guy find help tackling a challenge like that?

Anyone on this thread will be more than willing to assist.

We all want to assist you in having a suitable DG RIFLES, not just a dg rifle:)

I really enjoy my 416 Rigby CZ 550.

To be honest as a formidable cartridge, the 375 RUM is 300 fps faster than a .416 Rigby with 350 grain bullets. (2700 vs 2400). So, .416 surpasses it only because it can shoot 400 grain bullets. If you need to go up then I'd go to a .458 caliber rather than just a marginal increase with the .416.

Now, if you just want to collect rifles, sure get it ;)

Err no. 350 grain bullet in a factory loaded 416 Rigby is around 2700fps. As for the 400 grains well they can be stoked up to around the 2600fps if you so wish. However that is not for me, my shoulder shudders at the thought. :eek:

I do believe, sir, you are a recoil junky.(y):D

ufg’ -
What have you decided to do? Or do you need further “help”?!

You are looking at it all wrong,just consider it to be an investment and as help for a friend. Maybe you will be lucky and they will need more help and you will be able to invest again!

Gentlemen, I too have a problem and can relate to the OP! First I purchased a 375 Rug Ruger Alaskan. I have taken two buffalo with it and will be bringing it on my AK brown bear/Moose hunt this September (the stainless and Hogue stock are prefect for the AK weather). Now I find a 416Rug Ruger African, with pretty wood and a 450-400NE Merkel 140 in my safe. The 375 and 416, being scoped rifles are very accurate, the 450-400 with an RMR is minute of buffalo at 50. Now I am planning an elephant and plains game hunt, find myself struggling to figure out my two rifle battery. I need to decide a light rifle between custom 270wsm, 6.5prc or 300win (all of which are fine and probably doesn't matter) and the three heavies for a two rifle battery! But I can't imagine not bringing the double - after years of perfecting accuracy in my rifles, and expectations of accuracy from myself and equipment, choosing the double for the sure and fast second shot but giving up that accuracy feels strange. Any thoughts on the dilemma?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sports0266

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg