I Want a Heym

Daniel Cary

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
I'm sure everyone does. 5 yrs ago, an 89 nicely appointed was not spoken for in .500, it was substantial.
Had I known an 88 could be spec'd a bit more subtle? .. I would've rethought. perhaps.

Still haven't handled an 89, love the 88 however. Passed on this .. long ago. Big Decision for a first, or only?
That's all.

470 N.E..jpg

Those 26's are big ..

My wife has both, either one will serve you. That said the 89 feels like my .470 george gibbs, just 100 years newer.

If I could only have 3 currently made rifles they would be.
Heym 89b .470 N
Heym Martini Express .404J
Ruger 10-.22

Client Rifle Winchester M-70 CRF .375H&H

Lon

I'm sure everyone does. 5 yrs ago, an 89 nicely appointed was not spoken for in .500, it was substantial.
Had I known an 88 could be spec'd a bit more subtle? .. I would've rethought. perhaps.

Still haven't handled an 89, love the 88 however. Passed on this .. long ago. Big Decision for a first, or only?
That's all.

View attachment 570182
nice high grade stock

.. my mind wonders ;
Just intrigued, 88 or 89. Would really like to attend SCI.
I handled both at SCI '23 and prefer the 88. The teutonic lines are just my style. The Blaser S2 is also quite nice...
1700409295018.png

I have a few of them and have absolutely no complaints. They are accurate, shoulder quickly, handle well, and I've never had a jam or feeding issue with the bolt guns.

Currently I have:

Heym 450/400 Double
Heym 375 H&H Martini Express
Heym 458 Lott Martini Express
Heym 300 Win Mag T bolt

Awaiting delivery on:
Heym 500NE Double
Heym 300 Win Mag Martini Express

The Doubles are open sight, the 458 has a red dot, the 375, and 300's are scoped.

I use the 450/400 primarily for elephant and cape buffalo, although I did shoot a giraffe, finished a rhino, and shot a zebra. The closest shot I've taken was an elephant at 21' and closing, the farthest was the zebra, ranged after the shot, at 75 yds.

While it's effective and accurate at 100 yds, I try to stay in the 30 - 40 yd range.

At the time I bought the 450/400, I hadn't hunted anything larger than a pheasant in 40 years, never hunted in Africa, and was going to on a "One - Time" safari to hunt plains game and possibly a cape buffalo. The 450/400 full filled the lore of what I imagined a safari to be.

Now, 3 safaris in with another one scheduled for June, 3 elephants, 5 cape buffalo, and a rhino - I figured I was pushing my luck with that 450/400 and bought the 500.

The 375 has proven itself indispensable; it is my go to for all plains game and I knocked down a cape buffalo and the rhino when the shots were a bit too challenging for the double.

I have shot it out to 500 yds at the range, but for the type of hunting I do - that's a long shot. I'm sure the sheep and elk guys can go way out with it.

My closest shot was point blank into a hippo as he was rising out of the water, my farthest around 350 yds.

I've shot other makes, I'll stick with Heym

I have a few of them and have absolutely no complaints. They are accurate, shoulder quickly, handle well, and I've never had a jam or feeding issue with the bolt guns.

Currently I have:

Heym 450/400 Double
Heym 300 Win Mag T bolt

Awaiting delivery on:
Heym 500NE Double

The Doubles are open sight, the 458 has a red dot, the 375, and 300's are scoped.

I use the 450/400 primarily for elephant and cape buffalo, although I did shoot a giraffe, finished a rhino, and shot a zebra. The closest shot I've taken was an elephant at 21' and closing, the farthest was the zebra, ranged after the shot, at 75 yds.

While it's effective and accurate at 100 yds, I try to stay in the 30 - 40 yd range.

At the time I bought the 450/400, I hadn't hunted anything larger than a pheasant in 40 years, never hunted in Africa, and was going to on a "One - Time" safari to hunt plains game and possibly a cape buffalo. The 450/400 full filled the lore of what I imagined a safari to be.

Now, 3 safaris in with another one scheduled for June, 3 elephants, 5 cape buffalo, and a rhino - I figured I was pushing my luck with that 450/400 and bought the 500.

The 375 has proven itself indispensable; it is my go to for all plains game and I knocked down a cape buffalo and the rhino when the shots were a bit too challenging for the double.

I have shot it out to 500 yds at the range, but for the type of hunting I do - that's a long shot. I'm sure the sheep and elk guys can go way out with it.

My closest shot was point blank into a hippo as he was rising out of the water, my farthest around 350 yds.

Your Heym 300WM that you describe as a T bolt...is it the straight pull bolt action SR30 with the ball-bearing lockup?

Currently I have:

Heym 450/400 Double
Heym 300 Win Mag T bolt

Awaiting delivery on:
Heym 500NE Double

Let's see some pictures of those fine Heym's!

I handled both at SCI '23 and prefer the 88. The teutonic lines are just my style. The Blaser S2 is also quite nice...
View attachment 570256
Always been stuck on the 88? .. Have a feeling that S2 will gain notoriety though. Members have some beautiful ie's here.

Not sure what you’re saying but it’s a nice gun to be sure
Heym spent a lot of time with me as perspective buyer. This 89 was being finished off & prepped for delivery. Naturally a Big Consideration, particularly for a 1st. without a rough fit, limited knowledge, Frame sizes, 26's, etc.
The 88 pictured was considerably more affordable.

Not to discredit any mfr.
From a VC enthusiast, Dan ;

89.jpg

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with wanting to own a Heym double rifle. This is an 89B in .450/400 NE next to a vintage George Gibbs .360 No 2 NE (below). You can see where the Heym's DNA comes from.
20200825_155451-jpg.570376

Certainly, British Ques "unique unto themselves" .. or Stout 88?
Beautiful Photo. Many Thanks.

Currently I have:

Heym 450/400 Double
Heym 300 Win Mag T bolt

Awaiting delivery on:
Heym 500NE Double

I could not hit a target @ 350 Yards if it was rested on Gibraltar .. have no doubt the gun is sound though ;

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeinR

Latest profile posts

Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt