I think I might be an idiot!

............. More importantly she was ecstatic about him and it is her 2nd biggest buck and a hell of a 3rd deer. Main frame grosses 154" and his 3 "devil" points off his bases bring him up to almost 158" gross and his outside spread id 22". Congrats Christine!

View attachment 23971

View attachment 23972

Can't see the pictures but that is a great deer. I'll echo your sentiments: "Congrats Christine!"

Well season is over and once again I never got a chance at a monster. Oh well there is always next year. Christine did get a nice buck though. On Friday the neibor was supposed to take her out but delivered hay during last light primetime instead? No sense of priorities. LOL

I slipped into the field she was supposed to be hunting in 15 minutes after the end of legal time on my way home from work and there were 3 bucks there, a nice 4x4 and a heavy 5x5, both of which she would have loved to take if only she had been there!!! We made plans for Saturday last day of season.

She could only hunt the 1st and last 2 hours of light so we had our work cut out for us. In the morning we saw a spiker and a nice young 135" buck which she passed. That was it for the morning, no buck but that was OK because this is a far better evening spot. On our way home we saw several bucks bedded way out in the open with does in fields we don't have permission on, none were shooters anyway but that was encouraging, the bucks were certainly very active.

2 hours before dark we show up to see the landowner hauling hay across "our" field! We left with plans to come back 1 hour before dark, which we did. We had only sat for a couple minutes and a really amazing 2 year old came by, he was a 4x4 that would have gone 125" or so which looked huge on his small head and body. Shortly after he left 3 does and our spiker, who is a regular, came by and the 4x4 returned to run him off. they played around for awhile and another small 4x4 came out with a couple more does and joined the fun. Thick fog was rolling in and 15 minutes before the end of legal light and the end of season 3 more does appeared from the mist coming straight across the open field toward us followed by a splayed out 5x5.

Right away Christine was exited. "can I shoot him?" "Let me get a look at him... OK he is a nice buck but wait until he gets closer" "I can shoot him right there" "He is over 300yds, just wait he is coming straight at us" "but I can shoot him right now, he's huge" Read this with increasing uncontrollable excitement! "Wait a minute, he isn't as good as I thought, I don't think he is a shooter" I said to try to remove some of the mounting buck fever "but he looks huge" "I guess he is OK, I will stop him then you shoot him if you like" (insert grunts here) Bang, he piles up flops once and lays still. "oh my god, oh my god!!!!! I got him, was he a shooter" LOL "load your gun and get back on him in case he gets up" She does " youll be happy with him, I downplayed him to calm you down a bit" "I wasn't that exited" (Ya right, she was still vibrating)

He is a real nice buck, not the heavy buck I saw the previous night but certainly big enough to not take a chance waiting for the heavy one with 15 minutes of season left for sure! More importantly she was ecstatic about him and it is her 2nd biggest buck and a hell of a 3rd deer. Main frame grosses 154" and his 3 "devil" points off his bases bring him up to almost 158" gross and his outside spread id 22". Congrats Christine!

View attachment 23971

View attachment 23972

I can't see them either, but I echo the congrats to Christine. I have all kinds of pics from Africa on my FB page, guess I'm lucky nobody has turned me into the FB cops.

It's great hearing someone had a exciting hunt. It's great to end the season on a high note. A 153-158 deer is very nice.

I'd start sorting some "friends" out in short order. Amazing.

She sure wants to but of course no one is stepping forward so as usual the instigator prefers to remain in the shadows, especially after so many of her other friends (actual friends) echoed her displeasure and denounced the troublemaker.

Diamondhitch, congrats to Christine on the deer, still can't see the picture though. Good luck with facebook, personally I think someone should have a hard look at "anonymous" as it pertains to the internet.

Diamondhitch, congrats to Christine on the deer, still can't see the picture though. Good luck with facebook, personally I think someone should have a hard look at "anonymous" as it pertains to the internet.

Maybe I am being sensored!!! Who turned me in????? LOL

Not sure what I can do, I click on it and it opens. Help Brick/Jerome

I'd start sorting some "friends" out in short order. Amazing.

Totally agree!

Congrats and well done Christine! :)

Sadly I am not able to see the pics when I click the Attachment link.

congratulations to Christine and your self for putting her on him diamondhitch
the next congrates will will be for dumping facebook , down here I havnt seen one thing that would even make me consider opening an account on it .
looking foreward to seeing a picture of the whitetail

Congratulations. Can't see the photo but that's a sweet deer.

Thanks guys

Apparently Facebook has restored her photo. :thumbup:

Brick is working on the photo, no luck so far. I don't usually have problems but this one just wants to be stubborn.

Thanks guys

Apparently Facebook has restored her photo. :thumbup:

Brick is working on the photo, no luck so far. I don't usually have problems but this one just wants to be stubborn.

watermark.php

Last edited by a moderator:
cool..
is he big bodied for a whitetail ?
you would have seen him coming from a long way in all that white .

cool..

Yep, that'd be a prime specimen of a large bodied northern whitetail. And it appears he was rutting big time with that thick neck. Great deer!

Last edited by a moderator:
cool..

I would say he is average for a mature buck up here probably 250-275lb. they get bigger (300-325lb but those are very exceptional)

Normally we could have watched him come from nearly a mile away coming from where he did but if you notice the fog in the distance in front of his nose, it was far thicker to the left where he came from and we could just make out shapes at 350yds and see well enough to judge or shoot at 300yds.

At any other time of year no mature buck would be caught 160yds from heavy cover let alone 1600! Gotta love the rut, the little head is the only reason so many of these big guys get killed each year. If they ended the season in October I bet only 5% as many mature deer would be taken and that is probably a high estimate.

Yep, that'd be a prime specimen of a large bodied northern whitetail. And it appears he was rutting big time with that thick neck. Great deer!

Thanks Phil, definite hard core rutting. Every buck we saw the last couple days of season was doing very foolish things, even when they knew they were in trouble they could (or would) not go more than 70-80yds from their does before stopping and standing their ground.

great looking buck
I have been after the elusive 170+ buck myself, I sat for 8 days in a row this year sunup to sundown, watched lots of deer but they just weren't moving. The only buck I did shoot in the past several years was last year on my last day, all I saw was the tips of the tines were almost touching, turned out to be a 130" deer
Biggest deer taken on my place was a 194" so they are there, no hunting pressure and miles of thick overgrowth

Great 1st deer, must have been the guide, congrates!!!! :chaplin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg