I need boots for my first safari

You will want to focus on lightweight boots for your safari. Some of the lightest I've found are Lowas. I don't think high tops are necessary where you are going. I would recommend a midweight wool sock. Darn Tough are one option but any available to you will work I'm sure.
Make sure you get yourself a good pair of ankle gators for your safari regardless of high tops. They are priceless out in the veld!

Make sure you get yourself a good pair of ankle gators for your safari regardless of high tops. They are priceless out in the veld!
Yep, I had bought these elephant skin ones in Zim years ago for $30. Money well spent.

1695049028115.png

We just returned from our Safari in Limpopo. The guides wore regular shoes, and the trackers wore sneakers (on multiple properties). We wore Lowa and Scarpa without gaiters (and I wore shorts). I got cut and scratched a little from those sharp tree needles, but the footwear is not demanding (although, don't bring a pair that squeeks). The mountains in Limpopo you'd call a hill in Sweeden.

I bought some leather chukka style boots and couldn't get the broken in so I was ankle-high Columbia hikers - they were perfect except for the sickle bush thorn that poked through the sole and into my foot. I used gators, a thin-over the calf sock liner and heavy wool hiking socks. This is pretty much what I use to hike in the US and it worked fine in Africa too for 7 days of spot-and-stalk.

I bought some leather chukka style boots and couldn't get the broken in so I was ankle-high Columbia hikers - they were perfect except for the sickle bush thorn that poked through the sole and into my foot. I used gators, a thin-over the calf sock liner and heavy wool hiking socks. This is pretty much what I use to hike in the US and it worked fine in Africa too for 7 days of spot-and-stalk.
Agreed. I think I know the type of boot your talking about. It became popular in the 1960s-70s as outdoor trekking and hiking and backpacking in the mountains became trendy. IMO too stiff to use for any long distance trekking over variable ground. Plus many will not break in because they are based around a design of stiffness for ankle support that will not break in-- not unlike a freaking ski boot :). Plus many have a skeleton of synthetic material which by its nature will never break in much less have any breathability.

As to the OP's native land and footwear comparison?.... chances are pretty good Africa on average will be much hotter and drier than the swampy boreal forest areas you may be used to in Sweden. So really nothing really to compare it to. While there may be rocky scrabble slopes and ridges to negotiate in southern Africa- no real mountains.... The closest I can think of may be encountered if hunting vaal rhebok or mountain reedbuck in a few areas of SE RSA. There are many hiker shoes/boots that would work well, if comfortable, for long hikes in the heat. I would suggest leather footwear and gaiters. I posted the picture in a previous post of the Courteney's with gaiters that show my preference for all around Africa use. All leather and broken in to my feet. Good on sand, good in the heat, good in rock scrabble, good in thorn bush.... Of course if you don't do much hiking or tracking it won't matter much anyway:). But some of the best of Africa hunting is tracking, somethimes over long distances. IIRC my history, the Courteney design was based on early European settlers in southern Africa who designed basic footwear for long distance trekking.

Last edited:
This gentleman (Al Dos Santos) will make you a boot (or off the shelf) in any leather you want (or have). I personally wear these, in elephant, for all mild/warm/hot (socks vary) weather stalking hunts. Add gators if you want. Break-in wasn’t necessary.

I wore these to Africa, hunted in them, and then wore them home. The only shoes I took with me.

I wear them weekly, just because they are comfortable.

James Leddy Boots Abilene TX

IMG_2903.jpeg

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-21 at 6.57.43 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-21 at 6.57.43 AM.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 38
My last 4 or 5 hunts I have worn Oboz from Sportsmans Warehouse.

This gentleman (Al Dos Santos) will make you a boot (or off the shelf) in any leather you want (or have). I personally wear these, in elephant, for all mild/warm/hot (socks vary) weather stalking hunts. Add gators if you want. Break-in wasn’t necessary.

I wore these to Africa, hunted in them, and then wore them home. The only shoes I took with me.

View attachment 558703
I’ve always been curious about the guys that have elephant skin boots. Has customs ever given you any problems getting them back into the USA? I have buffalo skin and Atlanta looked at them closely and I think there used to be a pair of elephant skin boots in the Atlanta terminal under the topic of what not to bring into the country along with some ivory a brown hyena and some other wildlife products.

Needing a new pair of light hiking shoes before my Africa trip, I bought a ankle high pair of full leather goretex (only because what I liked came in them) boots, Rockports if I recall. I spent about 150 bucks, and they did all I wanted. I certainly could have gotten by with one of my other pairs of non insulated hikers that I already had. Just be sure to break them in well ahead of time. There is NO SUCH thing as a boot that doesnt need breaking in. You will want to make sure it fits and is molding to YOUR foot well before the trip. I wear mid weight merino wool socks year round, and that is what I wore, and they worked perfectly. Be sure to bring a spare pair of shoe laces. If you do, you wont need them. IF you dont....you will.
I wore them on the plane, to save space and weight, but also brought a pair of sneakers for lounging, which I was very glad for.

I’ve always been curious about the guys that have elephant skin boots. Has customs ever given you any problems getting them back into the USA? I have buffalo skin and Atlanta looked at them closely and I think there used to be a pair of elephant skin boots in the Atlanta terminal under the topic of what not to bring into the country along with some ivory a brown hyena and some other wildlife products.

Atlanta is more concerned about an African pebble making it into the country than the leather on the boot. They always ask me where my boots are. I tell them on my feet. They are the only shoe I wear to Africa, hunt Africa and back home from Africa. They just ask me to show them the soles of the boots and then let me go to the next flight. Only three states prohibit the import and sale of elephant skins—New York, New Jersey and California. Elephant leather rocks...btw.

Also, if the 'chukka' style stalking book isn't you're thing, I'd suggest you look at Crispi Hunting Boots.

https://www.crispius.com

They are an hand made Italian boot company and their products are exceptional. Again, another boot that doesn't require serious break in. The link above is for US distribution. Other nations will probably use their international sight. I highly recommend the non insulated Nevada GTX for an all-around waterproof hunting boot. Their lighter stuff is great for very hot climates as well as their insulated for extreme cold. They run true to size for normal feet. Don't overthink cold or hot. Get the middle of the road and sock up unless at the extremes of the temperature ranges.

They aren't cheap either.

There is NO SUCH thing as a boot that doesnt need breaking in.

There are many shoes and or boots that don't need break in. My definition of break in is that you purchase a boot, it's uncomfortable and then you have to 'break them in' to your foot. After hours of discomfort and blisters they boot magically forms to your foot. If a boot is uncomfortable from the start I send them back or throw them away. If I put a pair of boots on, they are comfortable and I can walk one day in them....then I have a winning pair. If not, they go to boot heaven.

I find that custom made boots, while expensive, don't need anything more than wearing them.

Also, I do agree that I will wear the boots for some time before I travel with them. I need to know if they need to got to boot heaven....LOL. I can figure boot heaven out in about an hour.

I feel sorry for people with 'funky' feet that can't get anything to fit right.

View attachment 558703

+1

I had Al make me a similar pair from the hide of my cape buffalo a few years back.. have worn them to hunt in Africa twice now and will continue to take them with me when I hunt in the future.. super comfortable, incredibly well made, and at a price point that cant be beat (I paid less for Al to make me a custom, bespoke pair of boots than I would have paid for off the shelf courteneys)..

Ive got an ostrich hide from our 2022 hunt that I need to take over to him soon.. Al also makes outstanding western/cowboy boots (I also had a pair of western boots made from my buff hide).. the wife and I both intend on having him make a pair of western boots from our ostrich's..

I think @Philip Glass and a few other AH members have also had Al make them some custom boots..

+1

I had Al make me a similar pair from the hide of my cape buffalo a few years back.. have worn them to hunt in Africa twice now and will continue to take them with me when I hunt in the future.. super comfortable, incredibly well made, and at a price point that cant be beat (I paid less for Al to make me a custom, bespoke pair of boots than I would have paid for off the shelf courteneys)..

Ive got an ostrich hide from our 2022 hunt that I need to take over to him soon.. Al also makes outstanding western/cowboy boots (I also had a pair of western boots made from my buff hide).. the wife and I both intend on having him make a pair of western boots from our ostrich's..

I think @Philip Glass and a few other AH members have also had Al make them some custom boots..

They really are reasonable priced. His off the self boots are really comfortable for people with normal size/shape feet. He usually does the local TX SCI shows and Dallas. I'm not that far from him in West TX.

May I offer another piece of advice relating to boots? Wear them on the plane, or keep them in your carry on.

Last October my luggage (containing my boots) was lost. Did not catch up with me until my return flight. I suppose I was cavalier, as I had never had a bag lost prior to this. My comfy “travel shoes” were unsuitable for hunting. I was able to pick up a pair of boots from a little shop in Ohrigstad. After the first day in the Drakensberg mountains, the soles became separated from the boot. It was a long week…

May I offer another piece of advice relating to boots? Wear them on the plane, or keep them in your carry on.

Last October my luggage (containing my boots) was lost. Did not catch up with me until my return flight. I suppose I was cavalier, as I had never had a bag lost prior to this. My comfy “travel shoes” were unsuitable for hunting. I was able to pick up a pair of boots from a little shop in Ohrigstad. After the first day in the Drakensberg mountains, the soles became separated from the boot. It was a long week…

Great advice which I have taken. I wear on the plane over what I could comfortably hunt in and that includes my boots.
It would not be good to arrive in Africa with linen shorts, a Hawaii silk shirt and sandals only to find out your luggage went to Alaska! LOL

I do this every time. I’ve had my bags not arrive twice. Wear shoes you can hunt in and pack your carry on wisely. First time was South Africa took 5 days to get bag. Second time was Cameroon took 9 days to get bag. I always bring a small tube of super glue always now too. It can be invaluable when you need it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silas81Z69

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.