I need boots for my first safari

Wearing socks with sandals is simply going to collect a lot of grass seeds. I’m not sure your point on snakes? No one is wearing snake boots or snake chaps while hunting in Africa.
My man. PH’s aren’t some mythical creatures walking through the jungle. Literally millions of people work outside in hot weather walking through the woods. I’ve never seen one wearing crocs.

The dude can wear whatever he wants. His choice. But you obviously know and like him. I bet he’s a great PH.

Wearing crocs with no socks in the bush in Africa is one of the weirdest, and dumbest things I have seen in a long time. It just is.

And every ph I’ve ever met was terrified of snakes and the boots and gaiters they wear def offer some protection from snakes. Way more than crocs.

My man. PH’s aren’t some mythical creatures walking through the jungle. Literally millions of people work outside in hot weather walking through the woods. I’ve never seen one wearing crocs.

The dude can wear whatever he wants. His choice. But you obviously know and like him. I bet he’s a great PH.

Wearing crocs with no socks in the bush if acrica is one of the weirdest, and dumbest things I have seen in a long time. It just is.
I’ve hunted with PHs in Namibia, Cameroon, and Zimbabwe who all wore sandals while hunting. It’s a common thing in wild areas on tracking hunts and there is some practicality to it. I can’t say I’ve ever met a PH that lived in fear of snakes either. Here’s last one I saw in Cameroon. We stopped and took photos before moving on.
IMG_2212.jpeg

Last edited:
I have never seen them mentioned here but I took 2 pairs of Keen boots with me, One pair leather and one pair lighter better for the heat. Both pair were well broken in and did just fine in Africa. There were a couple of hunts that were up and down the side of the rocky mountain that I was eternally grateful for the leather boots with excellent ankle support. The most miles were on the lighter pair and I never had sore feet.
Brand aside, find out what you can about the terrain and go with broken in boots that suit the terrain you will be hunting.

13 percent of snakebites occur on the feet and legs, rarely above the ankle

85 percent of bites are to the fingers and hands

There are no rattle snakes in Africa. I’ve been on 11 safaris so far in several countries including the hot months and can still count the number of snakes on one hand. One of which was in the shower drain. I’ve seen many more in Texas.

F631DC47-AABE-4F89-9E9D-1D19C148B0C7.jpeg

Coutada 9. Mozambique. Wear what you wear at home. It ain’t rocket surgery. That saying , my wading shoes came apart on a recent teal hunt in the South Texas brush country, and I had to walk out bear footed about a mile and a half. So, if going this route you might have to toughen your feet. :cool:

When I said these trail maintenance crews pioneered the use of shoes, that is crazy, I meant they changed a lot of minds in the backpacking and climbing sphere. And as silly as it sometimes seems, a lot of outdoor people have taken their cue from unlikely sources like mountaineers, even people who summit Everest... Cause that is where I go on my weekends.

Here is Robin Williams as Mork, who often dressed like a 1970s, golden age, Yosemite rock climber, right down to the painful rock shoes. Usually a rugby shirts...

1694915543908.png

Yes, it is a bit random.

There are no rattle snakes in Africa. I’ve been on 11 safaris so far in several countries including the hot months and can still count the number of snakes on one hand. One of which was in the shower drain. I’ve seen many more in Texas.
My man. You’re reaching now. We do go mostly during their winter, but come on. I’ve been on one and I saw a black mamba while there.

You’re are just looking for a debate, and I’m gonna back out of it. I can’t wait to see pics from your next safari in crocs or chacos in the bush.

For socks I just wear a single pair of Merino wool hiking socks.

Many people who survive bites nevertheless suffer from permanent tissue damage caused by venom, leading to disability. Most snake envenomings and fatalities occur in South Asia, Southeast Asia, and sub-Saharan Africa, with India reporting the most snakebite deaths of any country.

Non insulated, highly breathable light boots with lightweight merino wool socks . Personally Keene voyager mid are my favorites. About 100 bucks

Last edited:
Add some canvas short gaiters with the elastic top and you are golden. Keeps seeds and junk from getting in your boots . About 20 bucks at midway

I was on one hike in Myaka state park in Florida. I was almost bitten by 2 snakes and attacked by an alligator in the space of an hour or two. Perhaps Africa is over rated on the danger scale particularly since you have to have guides.

Actually, the fun part at Myaka was I was stopped by the road and had wandered into the bush to see some pigs. When I emerged at the roadside, there was a white faced woman there who told us the story of how her toddler was abroad at their designated campsite, and she turned around to look for him, and a huge alligator was loping through the campsite, just passing him (presumably changing watersheds?). I gather this all happened that morning and she was still advertising the event that evening. This was before Facebook, and I wondered whether she had left him there to go forth and spread the word.

Earlier we were looking over a stone bridge at the eponymous river, and there was a nice large alligator adjusting to us in the current below. "Just lean out a little further my beauties". That was not the attack, that was the following day.

Fantastic place. I have no idea why people go to Disneyland.

I was on one hike in Myaka state park in Florida. I was almost bitten by 2 snakes and attacked by an alligator in the space of an hour or two. Perhaps Africa is over rated on the danger scale particularly since you have to have guides.

Actually, the fun part at Myaka was I was stopped by the road and had wandered into the bush to see some pigs. When I emerged at the roadside, there was a white faced woman there who told us the story of how her toddler was abroad at their designated campsite, and she turned around to look for him, and a huge alligator was loping through the campsite, just passing him (presumably changing watersheds?). I gather this all happened that morning and she was still advertising the event that evening. This was before Facebook, and I wondered whether she had left him there to go forth and spread the word.

Earlier we were looking over a stone bridge at the eponymous river, and there was a nice large alligator adjusting to us in the current below. "Just lean out a little further my beauties". That was not the attack, that was the following day.

Fantastic place. I have no idea why people go to Disneyland.
If you want to find a snake infested area with crocodiles all over in South Africa I am sure that you can. But overall most plains game hunts are as safe as walking down to the center for a paper.

On my first hunt the outfitter had killed a cobra the week before we got there, then when we were doing a tour a guide mentioned that she had seen a boomslang a few days before.

We never saw a snake in three weeks in South Africa

Lowa Zyper 6" boots with a normal pair of thin socks. You won't need anything more than that. You will most definitely not experience sub-zero temperatures or excessively warm days in late April.

I have completed x6 seasons in two pairs.

Breathable : Yes
Waterproof : Yes
Lightweight : Yes
Durable : Yes
Abrasion proof: Yes
Recommended : Yes
Requires "breaking in" : No

Happy hunting and please keep us posted.
This one

I’ve been wearing these for a few years. Actually wear them all day for work as well.

SALOMON Men's Quest 4 GTX High Rise Hiking Boots​

For Africa I’d get them in a sand colour though as i feel that they would cook at little in black. They’re much like the Keen and Merile mentioned above. Lite weight don’t need breaking in and you don’t feel like getting out of them after walking all day. Which imo is the acid test.
plus gators.

As much as I admire the PH and his crocs I would hunt in toe cover sandals, timberland used to make some good ones and I ran around in them most of the time. Snakes in general aren’t a real problem but thorns are……they have some big ones and they sure hurt usually followed by infection. Plus add in ticks and giggers.
But if it’s really hot I’d wear them. Something Like this.

But with whatever you choose you will need to walk in them before you get to Africa and by walk…..do a few hikes and stuff across, sand and rocks if you can just to test them out for yourself.
You need to put in the time to do the crime:LOL::A Outta:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-18 at 7.52.55 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-18 at 7.52.55 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 39
  • Screenshot 2023-09-18 at 7.53.50 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-18 at 7.53.50 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 37
I´ve decided to go on my first safari which will take place in the Limpopo province of SA in late April. Since I live and hunt in Sweden I don´t own any boots that are appropriate for this climate so I need some recomendations from all the knowledgeble people here. I want something with a high shaft for good stability while being as breathable as possible. I also wonder how people like to do with their socks. I use a thin and kneelength wool sock underneath with a thicker but shorter wool sock on top to reduce friction but this combo would cook my feet in an instant in Africa so I need advice on a more suitable setup. I know that someone will recomend courtney boots but they are too expensive where i´m at and don´t really offer what i want. If anyone knows a good surplus boot that would be great so I could spend more money on more animals.

Also, please feel free to add any good beginners advice on safari footwear
My 2c - try to get some guidance from your PH/outfitter on the terrain you will be hunting. I assure you that Limpopo is NOT all flat and some of the mountain ranges in the province are as rugged as they get.
If you are hunting in the flatter areas, these are generally quite sandy - so you want a less aggressive sole that isn't noisy. Low-cut running or hiking shoes could work, although thorn penetration is a risk if they are too flimsy.
If you happen to be hunting in the Waterberg or Soutpansberg on foot, you want some proper ankle support. Ankle support doesn't mean halfway up your leg though. Goretex Lowas are a good suggestion

Limpopo in April is probably like Sweden in August. You need not worry about your feet being too cold. Worn in, comfortable footwear is a must. Bad blisters are no.1 on the DON'Ts list for footwear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlejandroM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.