I had two of my 44-40,s out this morning

ben,
a popular tool for that job.
they used to shoot them in the spin to drop them, and the skinners finished them off.
less smell that way.
a good horse would automatically ride up near the buff placing the shooter in a good position.
at the shot, a good horse jumped aside to avoid being tangled up in a major crash.
another popular rifle was a cut down martini 303 using mk v1 ammo.
a good description of this can be read in the book hell west and crooked, by tom cole.
bruce.

A few months ago I was in the Darwin Museum admiring an old Winchester .44WCF that had been used extensively as a horseback buffalo shooter at Marakai (from memory).
BENKK
My dad hunted buff and croc up there in in the late 40s. The silly bigger also used to hunt pigs by crawling through lignum tunnel with a 455 Webley and a tomahawk.
Those old fellas either had balls or slightly crazy or both.
Cheers mate Bob

bob,
was your dad a local up there, or did he go on trips?
a trip like that then would have been a major adventure.
bruce.
Bruce moulds
He was working up there after being a cane cutter. He was also in the army up in Darwin where the army museum is now, then trained in Sydney before shipping out to Korea for 3 years. He was also in the battle of Kapyong that no one talks about. They seem to prefer long tan.
People in OZ seem to forget we got the first Presidential citation for 3RAR for Kapyong.
Cheers mate Bob

yes bob the Korean war in general seems to be a forgotten thing in oz.
at the time it was not even considered to be a war!
yet it was a dirty war and those who went suffered in many ways.
the Vietnam war was likewise at the time.
at one time viet vets were not considered eligible to join the rsl!
how we treat our servicemen and women is in great need of reappraisal.
bruce.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HowardDove

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,