I had my air conditioner serviced today and might have changed a mind

BigSteve57

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, NRA, Local gun clubs & shooting range.
Hunted
USA(GA,MD,MT,PA,TN), Namibia
So, why on Earth post this to Africa Hunting?
Because, it was the conversation with the technician I had when he brought up the subject of my taxidermy.
Usually I steer service people away from the areas where I have my mounts.
But as he needed access to the thermostat I had to show him around

After the service call he asked about the mounts and whether I actually shot the animals or just bought the mounts.
I'll shorten the recounting of the conversation with some of the points that were brought up and myths dispelled.

He thought:
  • That all the land was open, not owned, so anyone could just go to Africa and shoot animals.
  • What we call a professional hunter/guide was called a "poacher". I kid you not.
  • You made money by hunting in Africa because you could sell the meat, animal parts etc...
  • One could keep the meat and bring it here to the USA.
In addition I briefly described the process of getting to Africa, the permits and costs, the guide process and even the weather.

I'll add he was a decent guy who didn't seem to have any biases about hunting pro or con. He also seemed genuinely happy to learn that things were NOT as he thought.

This is what we're up against folks.

Sounds like the grass roots type.....

Have a lot of these conversations as I live in the Netherlands. Most people have a better understanding if you take the time to explain. A few cannot be reasoned with. Therefore my view is the key is for hunting organizations to educate.

Which sadly, over here, we do not enough. But it getting better. As strange as it seems more greenies are getting into hunting over here and therefore learning more about the reasons why hunting is important for the sustaining of wildlife.

I am always asked: "what do you do with the meat?" ..with the absurd supposition that it is somehow left in the field. That and people thinking that common species like plains zebras are "endangered". The lack of information and misinformation is quite astounding even (especially?) among well educated ( aka. indoctrinated ) people.

Because, it was the conversation with the technician I had when he brought up the subject of my taxidermy.

After the service call he asked about the mounts and whether I actually shot the animals or just bought the mounts.
I'll shorten the recounting of the conversation with some of the points that were brought up and myths dispelled.

He thought:
  • That all the land was open, not owned, so anyone could just go to Africa and shoot animals.
  • What we call a professional hunter/guide was called a "poacher". I kid you not.
  • You made money by hunting in Africa because you could sell the meat, animal parts etc...
In addition I briefly described the process of getting to Africa, the permits and costs, the guide process and even the weather.

I'll add he was a decent guy who didn't seem to have any biases about hunting pro or con. He also seemed genuinely happy to learn that things were NOT as he thought.

I hope you did! but unfortunately it seems like for every one of us telling the truth there are 10 antis spreading lies, and the "news" is spreading their lies as well.

I am always asked: "what do you do with the meat?" ..with the absurd supposition that it is somehow left in the field. That and people thinking that common species like plains zebras are "endangered". The lack of information and misinformation is quite astounding even (especially?) among well educated ( aka. indoctrinated ) people.
That is one of the topics I forgot to mention in my original post. He was genuinely shocked when I told him that the meat went to the land owner and if I wanted any I had to buy it from the landowner. That went for our guide as well if we were not hunting his land. I one case, the Eland, the guide and I did just that!!!

Maybe it's not that way for everyone but at least, that's the deal we had.

He thought:

Wow, awesome man. Thanks for helping purify the world!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you