Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM
I do not know how many of you folks are DSC members but their monthly Camp Talk magazine always has big bore rifles for sale in the classifieds. There is always something interesting on offer. Usually, it seems, someone plans out a DG safari and either it never happened or it was a one time thing. They have bought nice DG rifles, scopes, and ammo and now want to sell it all. It can be a remarkable offering!
Philip

Ridgewalker

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
Is factory ammo more readily available for one over the other?
Randy F, 458 Lott costs easily twice what the 375 H&H and 375 Ruger cost. It also costs a bit more to reload both hunting and practice loads. My research shows more variety of factory loading for the 375 H&H as well.
Best of luck in your decision!

Randy F

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
US and South Africa
Randy F, 458 Lott costs easily twice what the 375 H&H and 375 Ruger cost. It also costs a bit more to reload both hunting and practice loads. My research shows more variety of factory loading for the 375 H&H as well.
Best of luck in your decision!
Thank you. I'm not in a huge hurry so I'm going to start a stalk on a .375 of some sort.

Forrest Halley

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
I shoot my .458 Lott better than I shoot my .375 of late. Reload everything. Factory ammo is for checking zero before hunting. Other than that skip that bill.

I agree about cheap rifles. Skip that process. Buy something that will be a meaningful investment in your happiness.

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
I also like the idea. In my case I went from 300 Win Mag to 416. Being of stout stature the 416 real didn’t bother me that much and no flinch. Then I got a 458 Lott....now that thing just plain smacked my shoulder. Five shots and I put it down for the day. Then. Bought a 375 H&H and found that compared to the 416 and the Lott it was nothing.....more like the 300 Win Mag. So what did I do??? Stepped up to a 470 NE and find it very tolerable. Sooooo to your point when I shoot the 375 I actually find it mild.
hunting deer this year with a Marlin 45-70 Gov.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZinFlore

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

DGGardner wrote on Rare Breed's profile.
I'm sure I am a day late and a dollar short but if the deal on the .416 falls through let me know and I will buy it.
Pondoro wrote on Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS's profile.
Hello...could you please pm me regarding what species available on this fly-camp offer....can cape buffalo be taken for instance..? Trophy prices..?
matt vejar wrote on kevin masters's profile.
Kevin,
Played rookie league for the Yankees in Paintsville after winning the College World Series at Fullerton State, in1979. All I could think about was the movie “Deliverance”- lived up in a hollow with some other players. Refused to go on a moonshine run because it was a dry county-no way. Met some of the nicest people on the planet there! Van Lear the home of Loretta Lynn was highlight of summer LOL.
Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...