I’m excited to be a new member of the double club!

Still alive

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
South Africa
I just purchased my first double rifle. Krieghoff 500/416 double with hard case 2016 In like new condition. I’m planning on going back to Africa in two years for crocodile, hippo and Cape buffalo. I think I’ll sell my Winchester 375 h&h when I take possession of the double.

Last edited:
Congrats, but I am not sure what you mean by “sell my 375 h&h”

Congrats on the new addition!

Congrats pal. Dont sell the 375. Im of the thought and opinion (that many (I think) share)) that every serious hunter should have a 375 of some description in there battery.

Pictures

B157F979-065D-47CA-8536-3041ED9E648C.png
C53E5730-2981-4106-9923-3BF930518687.png
6AC1AAA9-8702-4241-A2D4-2F80575EC085.png
748F122E-91CF-48A2-9453-9008FC407681.png
D54A113C-C52F-4862-B729-4BC5D627DE42.png

... I’m planning on going back to Africa in two years for crocodile, hippo and Cape buffalo. I think I’ll sell my Winchester 375 h&h when I take possession of the double.

Crocodile and hippo will require precision shots. I'd keep the .375 unless you will put a scope on the .500/416.

Based on feedback from @Red Leg the .500/416 is definitely capable of precision needed if scoped so you will not need the .375 then.

Crocodile and hippo will require precision shots. I'd keep the .375 unless you will put a scope on the .500/416.

Based on feedback from @Red Leg the .500/416 is definitely capable of precision needed if scoped so you will not need the .375 then.
Yes - BUT - braining a croc or hippo where it is wet is not a job for most doubles. I could do it with my S2 and you could do it with that lovely 9.3, but I am not sure I really want to try it when I have a R8 in the gunroom.

I have the same gun, same caliber. Great choice and yes you can shoot hippos and croc with it without a scope. I have done the hippo portion twice. Just have to get closer on land or water. No offense red leg or tanks. Good luck with the gun.

Btw. Kreighoff is very reasonable to re regulate the gun if you need to do so. I had my done using hendershot a-frames (they will not accept personal reloads) running I think at 2300 FPS. Then just worked up my own loads for that velocity. I believe they charged me $250 as I provided the ammo.

Very nice rifle with a good stick on it. Have lusted for the Kreighoff many times, but have not bought one. Always thinking......500/416 or straight 500? Not sure which I would choose, but can't really go wrong. While I've never really wanted to hunt a lizard or a sea-cow, I think there is a buffalo in both our futures......'grats on your double.............FWB

Beautiful double @stayalive, well done. I know the feeling of wanting to sell everything else, you just want to invest yourself in your double. I have let my 375 go to a good friend and made up my mind to let fieldcraft and a red dot fill the gap, literally - hunting.

I have the same double and like the round, I have taken my hippo with a 450/400 double, had to be very patient to get into a range I could reliably with open sights hit the brain. I shoot ALOT of open sights and wouldn't even think of trying a brain shot on a croc with my 500/416 or 450/400 with irons. Your scoped 375 is a better option. Plus you can take the 375 as a backup DG rifle for buff and elephant.

Shoot and enjoy both but use the one that is most appropriate for the job at hand.

Congratulations @Still alive ! That is one beautiful rifle!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greylin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.