Hygiene and scent

I don't change anything when I leave for a hunt or when I get there. Staff does laundry, which I have no control over, and trackers wear most anything. The best thing I've found is stay in the shadows and downwind. I've yet to be "scented." With a PH, one or two trackers, and me, we're more apt to be seen before smelled.
 
I was hoping to dig into this a little deeper. There was a thread about scent, but mostly just covered what not to wear or use. Such as no cologne and no scented soaps.
I am hoping that the hunters here can name so products, soaps and shampoos preferably.
Im not a fan of the scent b gone type of sprays. Im pretty sure it is just another chemical that the animals can smell?
I normally wash with ivory soap the night before to be clean, then wash with plain water in the morning.
What is your ritual for being scent free for the hunt ?
Even your breath and hair stinks. Millions made on these gimmicks. Just stay downwind.
 
Even your breath and hair stinks. Millions made on these gimmicks. Just stay downwind.
I need to figure out HOW to MAKE millions on one of these gimmicks! I know, charcoal infused shampoo and mouth guard. That's it , I'll be able to make it to Africa sooner than I thought!
 
I need to figure out HOW to MAKE millions on one of these gimmicks! I know, charcoal infused shampoo and mouth guard. That's it , I'll be able to make it to Africa sooner than I thought!
Yeah and then you can get a TV show where you whore yourself out for all your miracle scent concealment products! Spray your whole body down with it and then gargle it and wash your face and hair with it! You’ll be laughing all the way to the bank.
 
Ya got to slip the sneakers on to keep your feet dry when you step out to do your business first thing.
 
I need to figure out HOW to MAKE millions on one of these gimmicks! I know, charcoal infused shampoo and mouth guard. That's it , I'll be able to make it to Africa sooner than I thought!
Dont forget to contact the dog whisperer or some guy from a circus. U will need trained animals to stand still and not run for your new infomercial!
 
Dont forget to contact the dog whisperer or some guy from a circus. U will need trained animals to stand still and not run for your new infomercial!
Ha! Ha! Ha! Hey, if you’ve seen the stupid stuff that people are selling lately and morons are buying, this would be a no brainer to sell to those with no brains? Stimulus checks are coming! Ha! Ha!
 
All that garbage sounds great until you step outside on a hot day and the sweat starts running. Hello, BO, goodbye no scent.
 
The only thing that I do for "scent control" is to take a shower and wear clean clothes. In my opinion, to think that we can somehow fool an animals nose is nonsense. The only way to me sure that it won't scent you is to stay downwind of it...period. It is believed that a dog can smell many thousands of times better than a human....as anyone who has hunted with a bird dog, police dog, or hound can attest to. Cadaver dogs can smell a burial site that is 20 years old. Dogs can even smell Cancer and many other diseases in humans....does anyone really think that they can make or use a homemade concoction that can fool a Deer or Predators nose? It's nonsense to think so.

As far as scent control in Africa goes, does anyone think that upwind game wont be able to smell you or the trackers with you both sweating and stinking of Mopane smoke?;)

Scent control products put money into their manufacturers pockets so I guess that it's good for the hunting industry
 
I was hoping to dig into this a little deeper. There was a thread about scent, but mostly just covered what not to wear or use. Such as no cologne and no scented soaps.
I am hoping that the hunters here can name so products, soaps and shampoos preferably.
Im not a fan of the scent b gone type of sprays. Im pretty sure it is just another chemical that the animals can smell?
I normally wash with ivory soap the night before to be clean, then wash with plain water in the morning.
What is your ritual for being scent free for the hunt ?
Ike, just take a shower and wear clean clothes. You will be hunting with a ph and trackers and all of you will be sweating and stink of Mopane smoke. I think that scent control in general is total BS...unless you are downwind you will never fool an animals nose
 
Mark but the pr
My trick is:
I boil a bucket of water, and boil in it with local plants: leaves, grass, bush.
When it cools down, it is the essence of local plants fragrance.
then i dump my hunting clothes in it.
Then I dry the clothes.
I do this few days before hunting.

Then I dress the clothes like that. It smells like local woods.
is that you still give off odors through your skin and breath. You won’t fool an animal unless you are downwind
 
Wind takes care of scent. And if the wind changes and I get busted it's all part of the fun.

I don't bother with camouflage clothing either. Growing up playing a lot of hide and seek games make the use of sight lines and shadow second nature.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,299
Messages
1,572,040
Members
169,481
Latest member
PhillisChi
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top