Hunting wild cattle/bovines...

I have always preferred hunting alone. And I don't like crowds ... at all. This is something of a curiosity since my job with the Park Service was essentially public relations. I was good at it and enjoyed the work. But abhored attending functions ... unless I was making a presentation. Then I could be engrossed in my work and ignore the environment. Needless to say, no one will be seeing me at SCI. I do enjoy sharing information and opinions at arms length on forums. Not so much for the anonymity (I share enough personal information and photos to make myself real), but rather for the "arms length" aspect. I prefer getting to know people without getting to know them ... and the obligations attached thereto. Downside is my poor daughter will probably have to hire pallbearers some day. Oh well. Is what it is.

That makes sense on the banteng pricing. However for that much, you can do more than 1 buff or even 1 trophy buff and 10 cows for less $. They are certainly interesting and I would love to see that part of Australia sometime. I'm glad the big sweepers are less than the smaller bantengs.

Gaur is high on my list and Yak also , since Norwegian Muskox is not legal to hunt ( just for cullers ) one have to look elsewhere

And water buffalo of course .

I think that hunting Gaur is permanently over. The species is classified as highly endangered and is therefore strictly protected. Sure, there are always opportunities to shoot problem animals, but for that you need good connections and above all a lot of money.

As for the yak, it is doubtful if there are still wild cattle living in the mountains. There is a great risk to shoot a tame cattle. Years ago a story were told about a hunter who had shot a so-called wild yak but that was castrated. I don't know if the story was true, but it shows where the problem may lie.

I think anyone who enjoys Bovine hunting must put Banteng on the list. They are a special hunt in a fantastic wilderness area.
And of course, we have Water Buffalo and Scrub Bulls as well, both fun to hunt and the Scrubbers can get pretty exciting ;)
Water buff are inquisitive by nature which makes stalking a little easier and they can be called in on occasion. But finding a big old bull in the 100" class can take some work.

I found Banteng more like Cape Buffalo to hunt, flighty and you must stalk correctly. Plus they can be unpredictable!

I think anyone who enjoys Bovine hunting must put Banteng on the list. They are a special hunt in a fantastic wilderness area.
And of course, we have Water Buffalo and Scrub Bulls as well, both fun to hunt and the Scrubbers can get pretty exciting ;)
Water buff are inquisitive by nature which makes stalking a little easier and they can be called in on occasion. But finding a big old bull in the 100" class can take some work.

I found Banteng more like Cape Buffalo to hunt, flighty and you must stalk correctly. Plus they can be unpredictable!
Fantastic - hunted a nice old water buff with Simon Kyle Little last year and booked for Banteng (+ water buff) with Stephen Bunn this September.

Some of us here have hunted water buffalo (not me) and not very many have hunted banteng...so what are the main differences in preferring one over the other? I have read that buff are a little more curious and tolerant while banteng have more of an attitude. Would you find buff in the same areas as banteng? I know that banteng have been restricted into a certain area with some fencing, etc. Just wondering what some of these differences are. Thanks!

Some of us here have hunted water buffalo (not me) and not very many have hunted banteng...so what are the main differences in preferring one over the other? I have read that buff are a little more curious and tolerant while banteng have more of an attitude. Would you find buff in the same areas as banteng? I know that banteng have been restricted into a certain area with some fencing, etc. Just wondering what some of these differences are. Thanks!

Our Australian water Buffalo are big, heavy animals with no natural predators. So they'll typically stand their ground, or if something takes their interest, they'll actually come in for a look. With the wind right, they are reasonably easy to stalk. But they are equally tough to kill and can carry a heavy bullet well, they are heavy-boned and extremely thick-skinned. They live in quite large family groups, but like Cape Buff, the challenge with Buff is finding a big old lone bull. They are quite widespread across the north of the Northern Territory (not "Territories" as is often stated!) With the largest numbers throughout the Arnhemland aboriginal lands.

Banteng are found in a much smaller area (though still a very large wilderness) of Cobourg Peninsula, which is the Garig Gunak Barlu National Park. It was once fenced across the Peninsula, but this has long been in a state of disrepair. This is a quite heavily forested area with some floodplains, and Banteng live in smaller groups. Often, old bulls can be found alone or in groups of 2-3, living on remote springs which feed most of the valleys there, and this makes for exciting hunting. They are very wary to stalk, more like a deer than a Buffalo, one must keep movement to a minimum, stay quiet and observe the wind. And I'd say more likely to charge out of the blue. They are a little smaller then buffalo and thinner skinned.

The range of buffalo and Banteng does overlap somewhat, especially outside the National Park in the floodplain areas. But the nucleus of each is separate, and for many hunts you'd hunt buff and scrub bull, then relocate further north for Banteng.

A lot of the cost of Banteng hunts are access related, as they are only found on limited Aboriginal owned land, whereas buff are more widespread in larger numbers. But either hunt is taking you into extremely remote country, where there are very few, if any people. So running costs are considerable, as are royalties. The NT is truly one of the world's greatest wilderness areas I believe, and any true adventurer will love it there.

Please be aware if booking a guided hunt, there are a few things to ask for. Any outfitter MUST have a Corporate Licence to run Safaris, which includes insurance. Then they must have a land access agreement through the Northern Land Council or other relevant body. It sounds simple, but the there are a few dodgy operators up there unfortunately.

20200909_000501.jpg
IMG_20200913_105604_352.jpg
IMG_0801.jpg
IMG-20230913-WA0003.jpg

Last edited:
Great info. Thanks for your response!

Great info. Thanks for your response!

No worries, I've just added a couple of photos. Great topic, hunting bovines is great fun and takes you to some awesome places!

No worries, I've just added a couple of photos. Great topic, hunting bovines is great fun and takes you to some awesome places!
Nice...now those photos would make us think it's not hot or very wet there...but you're not fooling us!

Nice...now those photos would make us think it's not hot or very wet there...but you're not fooling us!

Those were all late season hunts around September. So it's extremely hot & humid. Water has dried up to only permanent pools. It can be thirsty work, but a very rewarding time to hunt if you can hack it!

I hunted late season Sept/Oct in Zim for ele, eland and leopard and it was hot. I hear ya.

Our Australian water Buffalo are big, heavy animals with no natural predators. So they'll typically stand their ground, or if something takes their interest, they'll actually come in for a look. With the wind right, they are reasonably easy to stalk. But they are equally tough to kill and can carry a heavy bullet well, they are heavy-boned and extremely thick-skinned. They live in quite large family groups, but like Cape Buff, the challenge with Buff is finding a big old lone bull. They are quite widespread across the north of the Northern Territory (not "Territories" as is often stated!) With the largest numbers throughout the Arnhemland aboriginal lands.

Banteng are found in a much smaller area (though still a very large wilderness) of Cobourg Peninsula, which is the Garig Gunak Barlu National Park. It was once fenced across the Peninsula, but this has long been in a state of disrepair. This is a quite heavily forested area with some floodplains, and Banteng live in smaller groups. Often, old bulls can be found alone or in groups of 2-3, living on remote springs which feed most of the valleys there, and this makes for exciting hunting. They are very wary to stalk, more like a deer than a Buffalo, one must keep movement to a minimum, stay quiet and observe the wind. And I'd say more likely to charge out of the blue. They are a little smaller then buffalo and thinner skinned.

The range of buffalo and Banteng does overlap somewhat, especially outside the National Park in the floodplain areas. But the nucleus of each is separate, and for many hunts you'd hunt buff and scrub bull, then relocate further north for Banteng.

A lot of the cost of Banteng hunts are access related, as they are only found on limited Aboriginal owned land, whereas buff are more widespread in larger numbers. But either hunt is taking you into extremely remote country, where there are very few, if any people. So running costs are considerable, as are royalties. The NT is truly one of the world's greatest wilderness areas I believe, and any true adventurer will love it there.

Please be aware if booking a guided hunt, there are a few things to ask for. Any outfitter MUST have a Corporate Licence to run Safaris, which includes insurance. Then they must have a land access agreement through the Northern Land Council or other relevant body. It sounds simple, but the there are a few dodgy operators up there unfortunately.

View attachment 579843View attachment 579844View attachment 579845View attachment 579846

If I read all of this I would be interested in a Banteng hunt. I shot few water buffaloes in Malaysia, but hunting Banteng in their area of origin was near impossible. A few more posts like this and I will go to Australia.

Hmmm…I had to shoot one of my Hereford cows between the eyes with a .22 LR once. Does that count? LOL!!!
Funny and reminds me of first thought of hunting bovines.

On the farm in my youth, "Big Red" was my dad's prized pedigree breeding Sant Gertrudis bull.

I'm a skinny 16-year-old, and we are working the cattle. Big Red needed an antibiotic injection, as his prime breeding anatomy was infected, and he wasn't going into the chute pen.

He had a BAD attitude.

Dad said, bring him a bucket of corn, when he starts eating, I'll sneak up behind him and I'll give him the shot.

At that moment, I'm 30 feet in front of Big Red, directly in his eyesight, and he charges.

I ran like Franco Harris through the Cowboys line, for at least 100 yards. Big Red pulled up at 30 yards, snorting.

All I had was a Ruger .22 Single Six, so basically nothing. I vowed never again and carry a .44 Special.

I want to hunt ALL the bovines.

Funny and reminds me of first thought of hunting bovines.

On the farm in my youth, "Big Red" was my dad's prized pedigree breeding Sant Gertrudis bull.

I'm a skinny 16-year-old, and we are working the cattle. Big Red needed an antibiotic injection, as his prime breeding anatomy was infected, and he wasn't going into the chute pen.

He had a BAD attitude.

Dad said, bring him a bucket of corn, when he starts eating, I'll sneak up behind him and I'll give him the shot.

At that moment, I'm 30 feet in front of Big Red, directly in his eyesight, and he charges.

I ran like Franco Harris through the Cowboys line, for at least 100 yards. Big Red pulled up at 30 yards, snorting.

All I had was a Ruger .22 Single Six, so basically nothing. I vowed never again and carry a .44 Special.

I want to hunt ALL the bovines.
Infected breeding anatomy does tend to darken one's disposition ... or so I've been told. :D

Hmmm…I had to shoot one of my Hereford cows between the eyes with a .22 LR once. Does that count? LOL!!!
Did the same thing years back. Shot this old cull cow in the head with a 22LR but made two critical errors, first a mushroom bullet instead of a solid, second was using a semi auto handgun, too short a barrel I think. Bullet bounced off her head like a steel plate. She was definitely a wild bovine at that point. Came back with a 348 and ended the gong show. To quote a popular phrase "Use enough gun"

Infected breeding anatomy does tend to darken one's disposition ... or so I've been told. :D
It certainly darkened his disposition.
Especially after we brought him to the large animal vet for surgery, then quarantined for 30 days for the stitches to heal.
In a corral with creosote railroad cross ties posts, and solid cypress planks. When the cows came into heat, that bull just smashed the fencing as he was ready. My Dad said" I guess he is healed up."

It certainly darkened his disposition.
Especially after we brought him to the large animal vet for surgery, then quarantined for 30 days for the stitches to heal.
In a corral with creosote railroad cross ties posts, and solid cypress planks. When the cows came into heat, that bull just smashed the fencing as he was ready. My Dad said" I guess he is healed up."
Sounds like that fence-busting bull needed an appointment with McDonald's instead of a vet.

View attachment 579843View attachment 579844View attachment 579845View attachment 579846
Well said @Tim Blackwell and awesome pics! I am by no means an expert in your class, but found the groups of WB cows with calves to be every bit as wary as any Cape Buffalo I've ever seen, with the younger bulls being more on the curious side. As you stated though, the old bulls are a different story. If they weren't out for water they always seemed to be hunkered down in the Hyptis thickets and could disappear in a heartbeat with no trace, just like a Kudu on a misty morning. Their ability to soak up lead was an eye opener for this hunter and created a newfound respect for this wonderful trophy. I only got a fleeting glimpse of the scrubbers, so never got the chance to pull the trigger - that is definitely one challenging bovine in that environment. Hopefully I'll get the chance at one of them on my next trip Down Under and would of course love to experience Banteng first hand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InaChristi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

A.A. wrote on Msprenger!'s profile.
Are you still looking for a 375 H&H?
NRA Life, ASSRA Life, GGCA Life
here with available dates for 2024/25

1-13 September 2024