Hunting (Primarily) With a Camera These Days...Anyone Else Do This?

Bill J H

AH veteran
Joined
Apr 20, 2024
Messages
127
Reaction score
419
Location
Texas
Media
14
Hunted
RSA, TX, OK, KS, CA, AZ, NM, CO, WY, MN, WI, SK,
***First, I'm not saying we should hunt with a camera instead of a gun. I'm simply saying that hunting with a camera allows me to hunt (with an objective in mind) MORE OFTEN. This year, I'll take my normal deer, a hog or two, my KS pronghorn (I should have the points to draw), and I'm headed to Africa in July. I love to gun hunt, but I only like to shoot what I (or someone else) is going to eat. So, please don't misunderstand my camera discussion.***

Over the last couple of years, I find I hunt with my Canon R7, FAR more than I do a rifle. Don't get me wrong, I still hunt with rifles, shotguns, and pistols...but I now use the camera, solely, 95% of the time.

I'm curious: Does anyone else find they "hunt" more and more with a camera?

For me, I guess the reason is that it gets me into the field, hunting, stalking to get close, framing my subject, then firing away - looking to get that perfect shot. It's a fun game: sometimes I win and sometimes the animals win. I liken it to counting coup or "catch and release" hunting like "catch and release" fishing. A photo that isn't "sharply focused" is like a shot and miss...a sharp photo is a kill shot. The best is to catch them doing interesting things, i.e., fighting, playing, etc.

My camera hunting gets me into the field at least a couple of times a week - hunting - regardless of the time of year and hunting season

My typical hunting day with a camera:

  • Timing - Just like rifle hunting, I like to be in the field near daylight or dusk, but I'm not limited to that.
  • Photo Equipment - Canon R7 and/or 80D with 100-400 zoom (plus short range lens).
  • Other Equipment - Game calls, Binos, etc., normal hunting items.
  • Firearm - always have a pistol (9mm, 22LR, 357, 45, or 44, etc.).
  • Locations - exactly like I was rifle hunting, however, a lot more walk and stalk.
  • Procedure around here in TX- Load my gear into my Jeep and head to area I'm hunting. Strap on the tools and start walking, just like a spot and stalk with a rifle. Once I see something I want to shoot (deer, hogs, turkey, coyote, heron, armadillo, skunk, etc.) I stalk. The closer I can get, the more fun and rewarding it is. For example, I often get within 15-20 yards of hogs, a few feet from armadillos and skunks; whitetails and turkey are more tricky. I'll call coyotes in close...and turkey.
  • I do the same when I go to the mountains, etc., but my quarry changes...
Once I get my pics, I try to ensure the game leaves of its own accord or I slip away...with the intent of it not noticing me or that I'm stealthy enough that I don't spook it.

Then I get to spend time in my gun/hunting/camera room processing photos and cataloging. My wife says I'm like a serial (photo) killer, reliving the stalks and hunt when I tinker with the photos, catalog them, or show them to friends, etc.

Anyway, I was just wondering if others do this or if it's just me...
 
I still very Much prefer the guns to a camera-however, I always have a camera handy just in case I see something I want to capture-“on film.”
So when in Africa I always visit a photography based park for at least one day and try for more.
And I’m certain my ph gets tired of me saying “pull over I need a picture of that!”
But no it would be rare to go “hunting” with a camera and I don’t consider alittle blurriness or light issues or whatever a failure. Life
Is happening and I just try to remember the things that make my heart beat just alittle faster. Sometimes that’s just the best you can do!
I love guns and cameras and using a fork having taxidermy to stare at etc etc
IMG_2663.jpeg
IMG_2671.jpeg
IMG_2658.jpeg
IMG_2654.jpeg
IMG_2611.jpeg
IMG_2583.jpeg

IMG_2582.jpeg

That said I am still woefully jealous of Brickburn’s white rifle, and someday, I will have a similar model!
 
“Brickburns white rifle”? I’m not familiar with the term…
 
I really enjoy trying to use a camera and sharing memories and encounters in nature. I have a humble little YouTube channel full of buffalo, Gouldian finches and heaps of other Australian creatures both native and non-native. It’s called Wild Nature Australia.
 
Nice BenKK. I’ll check the channel out.

Here are a few from the last 30 or so days.
Called the turkeys in after spotting them.
The baby hogs were play/fighting right at dusk. I was laying in the grass about 18 yds away.
The flying bird surprised me just after dawn (pic looks brighter due to editing) - it is a Crested Caracara, Mexico’s national bird. We have some of them even in northern Texas, colloquially called Mexican Eagles.

Strutter_4-13-26.jpeg
Covered up in Turkeys 4-13-26.jpeg
Belcherville 4-9-26_2.jpeg
Kara-Kara 4-13-26.jpeg
Hog Fight 4-9-26.jpeg
IMG_9360.jpeg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Nice BenKK. I’ll check the channel out.

Here are a few from the last 30 or so days.
Called the turkeys in after spotting them.
The baby hogs were play/fighting right at dusk. I was laying in the grass about 18 yds away.
The flying bird surprised me just after dawn (pic looks brighter due to editing) - it is a Crested Caracara, Mexico’s national bird. We have some of them even in northern Texas, colloquially called Mexican Eagles.
They’re beautiful photos!
 
IMG_3917.jpeg

I haven’t read this, just saw it on e bay while looking for something else-might have some entertainment value. . .
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,250
Messages
1,570,750
Members
169,150
Latest member
NevaElwell
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

autofire wrote on ThinAirHunter's profile.
I think forum prohibits making reference or giving personal references to PH/Outfitters that don't advertise on this forum.

But you can call me. I would be happy to discuss Cape Buffalo .

Bob 813-310-6992
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
 
Top