Hunting Newfoundland

so in Canada there is 71 different hunting zones ,with 71 varying laws on moose hunting ?
as a resident can you guys say ,get tags in a dozen different zones , or does your residency status only cover the area that you live ?

I would hazard a guess there are several hundred, if not in the thousands of hunting zones, different rules, hunting dates etc for them all. Where I hunt (and am looking for 2 archery hunters btw) its a fly in hunt, we should have 2 bull tags and if it has horns its a legal moose, spikes or 60". I think the 71 zones was just in Newfie Land

so in Canada there is 71 different hunting zones ,with 71 varying laws on moose hunting ?
as a resident can you guys say ,get tags in a dozen different zones , or does your residency status only cover the area that you live ?

Each province or territory is broken down into units or Wildlife Management Units. (local term)
There are 71 Moose Management Units in Newfoundland Labrador alone.
Each has a specific quota for the species.

I could apply for a Non resident tag in every Province for the various draws and species.

If you have the money, call up an outfitter in every province you want to hunt. Book and hunt and away you go.
The Outfitter has the quota and you purchase the hunt.

In most jurisdictions there will be residency definitions:
Resident - Local folks that live in that province
Non Resident - Folks that live in Canada (the country) not the Province
Non Resident Alien - The other folks that live anywhere else.

Residents can usually hunt without a guide.
NonResident can sometimes hunt without a guide, depending on species.
Non Resident Aliens all require guides. Typically.

Which is how the Non Resident aliens are at the mercy of outfitters and guides that won't leave the truck.

I think after one day of "road hunting", I would have been pissed!

Sad really.

It certainly reinforces that you MUST SPEAK UP right away if something is amiss.

Just saw your new replies Houston. Wayne is right, the squeeky wheel gets the grease. Still no outfitter should be putting people in the situation where they have to fight for their right to hunt in a manner that they prefer, advise sure but ultimately right or wrong the decision should be yours.

The outfitting company had an Argo the guys used to get their moose out. They had to do a bit of chainsaw work but got them out. I did complain to my outfitter but he did nothing until the last day when I demanded another guide or my hunt was over.

The outfitting company had an Argo the guys used to get their moose out. They had to do a bit of chainsaw work but got them out. I did complain to my outfitter but he did nothing until the last day when I demanded another guide or my hunt was over.

If they had an Argo to haul the carcass out there is NO EXCUSE at all.
Pure laziness in hiring this guy and handicapping you with him.

I guess your "demand" finally registered as a complaint.

Most unfortunate. Newfoundland has some great hunting and fishing and it is sad you had a lazy guide.

BTW - a 50" moose is going to be a big moose in Nfld. Different species than those further west in Canada and Alaska, some of which have immense racks. The moose in Nfld get quite a bit of hunting pressure from local residents. Many of the locals road hunt for moose for meat.

I had a wonderful caribou hunt up there in 2000, prior to the population decrease.

For anyone looking for a true spot and stalk ( no truck hunting) moose hunt in Nfld., I suggest Dean McDonald of Moose Valley Outfitters. I'll be going with him for a third time. He is honest & works really hard, on overall good guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadSimpso

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg