Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
Hunting Hartebeest Shot Placement

Post your questions, comments or pictures relating to hunting shot placement.

Hunting Hartebeest
hartebeest_shot_placement.jpg

Hunting Hartebeest
hartebeest_perfect_shot.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
These are great animals to hunt! AH member Art Lambert may well go after one of these on his upcoming hunt. They can run a long way even gravely wounded.
Shot placement Art!

My son harvested one @95 yds frontal chest and I harvested one 155yds (both ranged) facing away hard quartering--shot behind left side rib and bullet broke right front shoulder with no exit). Both one shot kills DRT. Shot placement is king!! His was with a 25.06 and mine with a 7mm rem mag. Both were phenomenal hunts!! We practiced alot and studied robertson's book Perfect Shot 2. These beautiful animals are tough!!

image.jpg

Just about blew this guys left shoulder and leg off but he still ran a long ways before I could catch up and put a second shot in him.

So they can be as tenacious as they are beautiful. Maybe one day ...

Welcome Fred. I do like your photo.

He is a good look beest Fred!

Thanks everyone. This was my son's and my first hunt in SA. I have been doing a lot of reading on this forum and after hunting there I now understand why everyone wants to go back. We went way over our budget but it was well worth it. We hope to return within the next 5 yrs. I also got a 54 7/8" kudu. That was my best hunt and most memorable.

Thanks everyone. This was my son's and my first hunt in SA. I have been doing a lot of reading on this forum and after hunting there I now understand why everyone wants to go back. We went way over our budget but it was well worth it. We hope to return within the next 5 yrs. I also got a 54 7/8" kudu. That was my best hunt and most memorable.

Please take some time a do a report on your hunt.

Please take some time a do a report on your hunt.

Yes please do. Everyone on here enjoys the hunt reports of others....kinda helps us go on another hunt! Look forward to your hunt report and do share more photos!

Yes, I too will attest to the idea that they are under-rated. They are both very tenacious and can be difficult to hunt. In other words, not to be taken lightly. Walk up to a large mature male red hartebeest and tell me they are not physically impressive! Even the smaller Lichtenstein's can be tough for its size.

Red Hartebeest allways will be a great trophie to take.......for me at least.....I use to spend alot of time loocking at them in the book´s in my childhood.........

One from the Karoo......Shot was in the shoulder in the opposite side of the pic.......He runned 30 meters and felt down......

DSCN0297.jpg

See you.....!!!

How tough are hartebeest to spot and stalk with bow? They are one of the animals on my list.

Some of the best senses of any animal I've ever hunted. Tough, smart, and wiley!
Philip

Agreed about hartebeest- easy to underestimate them because they are not one of the "glamour" species. As far as spot and stalk??? Even when I know they have not had any lion or leopard contact I've found them to be wary. If they've had any contact with lion or leopard it seems they become super wary. Physically, I would consider them tough and tenacious- not unlike oryx or wildebeest.

What's their keenest sense? Is it sight, hearing or smell? I know to stay up wind on any animal, but what comes next with hartebeest?

Good question. My impression is that all their senses are good. I know some animals that may have good hearing and sense of smell may not have the best eyesight and conversely. However after watching them often and for long periods of time with binocs while hunting other game, I believe their eyesight is very good to excellent- as good as most of the other antelope. I would imagine they are very tuned into movement such as a 1/2" twitch of a lion's tail in thick grass at 50 yards :):)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilma6932

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg