AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hunted
RSA, USA (MN, SD, ND, TX)
I am taking a trip to Germany for Octoberfest in 2022 and am looking to try and squeeze in a hunt while i'm across the pond. Looking to keep it pretty affordable so if you were in my shoes what hunt would you choose? Or do you have other suggestions? I'm leaning towards the sika or fallow hunts but looking for other people's insights, especially from those who have hunted these species. Thanks everyone!

I am taking a trip to Germany for Octoberfest in 2022 and am looking to try and squeeze in a hunt while i'm across the pond. Looking to keep it pretty affordable so if you were in my shoes what hunt would you choose? Or do you have other suggestions? I'm leaning towards the sika or fallow hunts but looking for other people's insights, especially from those who have hunted these species. Thanks everyone!
The most critical step is getting it arranged ahead of time. Just a few hoops to go through. :unsure: I can highly recommend the Hunting Consortium to make any and all arrangements. https://huntingconsortium.com/europe/ You will be just too late for roe deer or the red stag rut, but fallow, wild boar or mouflon would likely be available in Bavaria at that time. In any case, give them a call and discuss options. If willing to hunt other countries or regions as your list indicates, they can offer many options.

Last edited:
Je pars en voyage en Allemagne pour Octoberfest en 2022 et je cherche à essayer de chasser pendant que je suis de l'autre côté de l'étang. Vous cherchez à rester assez abordable, alors si vous étiez à ma place, quelle chasse choisiriez-vous ? Ou avez-vous d'autres suggestions? Je penche pour les chasses au sika ou en jachère mais je cherche l'avis des autres, notamment de ceux qui ont chassé ces espèces. Merci tout le monde!
Il y a très peu de daim sauvage en France.
Ce ne sera que des animaux de parc.
La POLOGNE n'est pas loin de l'Allemagne et offre des Possibilités de chasse au Cerf, Biche, et chevrette à l'approche.
J'y suis allé 3 fois à cette période et c'est très sympa.
Il y la Les Daims sauvages en Hongrie et le mois Octobre is du rut. J'y vais cette année.
On m’a dit que Le SIKA en Irlande etait super Mais le Covid Avec c'est très difficile de Réserver en CE moment.
Désole pour la traduction qui ne doit pas être terrible .

I am going to Romania in October for Roe deer, Fallow deer, boar, and Chamois. I probably won't have time to report on my experience in time to help you plan for your hunt. My dad had a good experience this past week with the guys I am booked with.

2022 will give you a year to plan. Your timing is good.
Based on your title, I voted for roe deer, because roe deer is the only deer native in europe, from the list you gave. (Fallow, sika, and mntjac are introduced)
But obviously, what you will hunt it will depend of season.

I can reccomend followoing species to consider: red deer, european wild boar, roe deer, alpine chamois.
Driven boar hunt is also a special experience.
are you going to travel around the Europe, or you will be visiting only Germany?

If you will be travelling to other countires other species may be considered. From hunting moose in sweden, to hunting alpine marmot in the austrian alps.

Il y a très peu de daim sauvage en France.
Ce ne sera que des animaux de parc.
La POLOGNE n'est pas loin de l'Allemagne et offre des Possibilités de chasse au Cerf, Biche, et chevrette à l'approche.
J'y suis allé 3 fois à cette période et c'est très sympa.
Il y la Les Daims sauvages en Hongrie et le mois Octobre is du rut. J'y vais cette année.
On m’a dit que Le SIKA en Irlande etait super Mais le Covid Avec c'est très difficile de Réserver en CE moment.
Désole pour la traduction qui ne doit pas être terrible .
Thanks for the tips about Poland and hungary, I will look into that.

I am going to Romania in October for Roe deer, Fallow deer, boar, and Chamois. I probably won't have time to report on my experience in time to help you plan for your hunt. My dad had a good experience this past week with the guys I am booked with.
A report would be great as I am going in 2022 so it may help, but if you dont mind me asking, who are you hunting with?

2022 will give you a year to plan. Your timing is good.
Based on your title, I voted for roe deer, because roe deer is the only deer native in europe, from the list you gave. (Fallow, sika, and mntjac are introduced)
But obviously, what you will hunt it will depend of season.

I can reccomend followoing species to consider: red deer, european wild boar, roe deer, alpine chamois.
Driven boar hunt is also a special experience.
are you going to travel around the Europe, or you will be visiting only Germany?

If you will be travelling to other countires other species may be considered. From hunting moose in sweden, to hunting alpine marmot in the austrian alps.
I am willing to travel around europe. I am going to be in germany the middle of the week but was looking to travel other places the weekend before and weekend after. I will look into other species to hunt more but I have found some are out of my budget, but I will keep searching. Thanks for the tips

Serbia - roe deer, in north part of Vojvodina, also great phaesants and boar hunts in winter.
North of Croatia - Baranja - red deer. But more intersteing would be brown bear in the hills. (not many countries offer hunts for brown bear) Or mouflon at the coast.

Germany red deer, driven boar hunt.
Sweden, moose. But aslo check options for hunting capercaille, a large bird in sweden
Alpine hunts, for chamois and alpine marmot, or roe deer, red deer, boar, austria.
Hungary: boars, red deer, roe deer - but consider also european classic driven phaesant hunt.

Capercaille, is large bird, and in many hunting communities is even considered big game hunt.
Many many options!

Although already being in Germany makes a continental hunt a better idea, I voted for Sika in Ireland. I really enjoyed Ireland weather in the fall, and County Wicklow is a wonderful place to hunt Sika and it’s an hour from Dublin Airport (although it feels a thousand miles away).

What do you need to enter Romania? Just a PCR test?

Depending where in Sweden, Moose, roe deer, Red Deer, Fallow deer, boar ,field hare ( the continental larger one) as well on some estates Visent in large fenfe areas. And all the other one think of there.

A report would be great as I am going in 2022 so it may help, but if you dont mind me asking, who are you hunting with?
I misread your original post and thought you were going this year. I plan to post a report if I manage to get over there. I contacted George of Romania Hunting Outfitters through the contact email listed on his website. He is a member of this site as @geod but I don't think he's been active here for a while. My dad lives in Romania at the moment and hunted Roe deer with George last week.

What do you need to enter Romania? Just a PCR test?
That is something I need to get smarter on. My dad can fly back and forth with just the test, but he maintains a residence and a family there. As a tourist I think there may be different rules, but I don't know for sure.

When hunting in eastern Europe take care about ASFV. It's found in most regions and this is not something you want to import into the states. Careful desinfektion of your shoes, etc. is highly recommended.

Serbia - roe deer, in north part of Vojvodina, also great phaesants and boar hunts in winter.
North of Croatia - Baranja - red deer. But more intersteing would be brown bear in the hills. (not many countries offer hunts for brown bear) Or mouflon at the coast.

Germany red deer, driven boar hunt.
Sweden, moose. But aslo check options for hunting capercaille, a large bird in sweden
Alpine hunts, for chamois and alpine marmot, or roe deer, red deer, boar, austria.
Hungary: boars, red deer, roe deer - but consider also european classic driven phaesant hunt.

Capercaille, is large bird, and in many hunting communities is even considered big game hunt.
Many many options!
October can be a bad time to hunt red deer through most of central Europe. The rut has just ended, and mature bulls are typically in the thickest cover they can find recovering. Also, Roe deer hunting is at the very end of its season which can make hunting them problematic depending upon the region.

You mentioned wanting to to something within a reasonable budget, so that likely will eliminate the more exotic things like bear, chamois, Ibex, etc.

Again, I would strongly urge you to take thirty minutes, pick up the phone, and call the good folks at the hunting consortium. Bob Kern has been doing this for a long time and they are experts at matching budget with desires with an area you are already planning to visit. I have hunted fallow deer, boar and roe deer in October in Austria which would be an easy combination with a trip already planned for Munich. Our vacation plans included Vienna and Salzburg. We stayed in great country inns and lovely hotels in Salzburg and Vienna. All of it was put together by Bob's professional team.

@Red Leg
You are right for october not being prime time for roe and red deer. Rut over. My reasoning was, as an option for authentic and iconic european species, in the time frame of october beer festival. The seson for them may still be open, although not in rut.
Fallow deer i skipped to mention, being basically introduced species from midde east. The species i mentioned are trully continental, authentic species., combined with well organised hunt in local traditional manner, should give true hunting cuktural experience.

Personally, i never hunted in high Alps, and in the same time ciontrolling the budget, and Austria being near to me, i keep my focus on alpine marmot to hunt, depending on my availanle hollidays in hunting season in the fall.

That is something I need to get smarter on. My dad can fly back and forth with just the test, but he maintains a residence and a family there. As a tourist I think there may be different rules, but I don't know for sure.

Okay. The reason I asked is that I am also headed to Romania in October hunting. Good luck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg