Hunting boots

This is Jim from African Sporting Creations. If any of you are first time Courteney boot buyers and want to get fitted simply buy one pair and we ask us to send you the second pair on the honor system. Try them on in the house and just send the other pair back. With two pairs of insoles (thin and medium SOLE) and two pairs of boots we fit 99% of folks.

Jim

This is Jim from African Sporting Creations. If any of you are first time Courteney boot buyers and want to get fitted simply buy one pair and we ask us to send you the second pair on the honor system. Try them on in the house and just send the other pair back. With two pairs of insoles (thin and medium SOLE) and two pairs of boots we fit 99% of folks.

Jim

Your customer service is second to none Jim. Thanks for jumping in.

Jim

Jim, I always vary in size depending on brand of shoe. The Danners I just Purchased are size 9 and fit perfectly. What size would you recommend?

I also have a question regarding your culling belts. I’ll shoot you a PM with my number.

Everyone has nailed this- the two overlooked aspects of footwear besides the comfort and/or support angle. Thorns and seeds. Thorns don't even need explaining but seeds do for 1st time travelers. Unbelievable how uncomfortable seeds are that penetrate socks and fabric parts of shoes or boots. The simple leather gaiters as those by African Creations/Courteney work well- the perfect complement to Courteney boots. :)

Here in the mountains, most guides and serious hunters wear Meindl or a Meindl copy such as Kenetrek, Crispi, Hoffman, Lowa, etc... It’s colder here and the terrain is generally more steep. These brands are expensive and stiff for climbing but last a long time with great durability. Once you get used to the stiffness, you probably wouldn’t wear anything else again. It’s almost impossible to get a blister with these boots if you wear them fairly tight, as designed. They are stiffer and more durable than what you need in Africa. They are taller so gaiters aren’t necessary unless you want to protect your pant legs.

Cabela’s used to carry Meindl but might not anymore. Hoffman sells their own great boots and also Meindl. As guides, we haven’t had the greatest customer service with Kenetrek. One of my guides had a pair that leaked water and returned them. Kenetrek said the boots didn’t leak and refused to replace them. Not a good move to do that to a guide that guides lots of hunters!

I have heard good things about Courtney boots/shoes and would like to try them sometime but I’m not sure I would want to use them in the States so I haven’t tried them yet. Do any of you guys with Courtney boots wear them in the States?

Here in the mountains, most guides and serious hunters wear Meindl or a Meindl copy such as Kenetrek, Crispi, Hoffman, Lowa, etc... It’s colder here and the terrain is generally more steep. These brands are expensive and stiff for climbing but last a long time with great durability. Once you get used to the stiffness, you probably wouldn’t wear anything else again. It’s almost impossible to get a blister with these boots if you wear them fairly tight, as designed. They are stiffer and more durable than what you need in Africa. They are taller so gaiters aren’t necessary unless you want to protect your pant legs.

Cabela’s used to carry Meindl but might not anymore. Hoffman sells their own great boots and also Meindl. As guides, we haven’t had the greatest customer service with Kenetrek. One of my guides had a pair that leaked water and returned them. Kenetrek said the boots didn’t leak and refused to replace them. Not a good move to do that to a guide that guides lots of hunters!

I have heard good things about Courtney boots/shoes and would like to try them sometime but I’m not sure I would want to use them in the States so I haven’t tried them yet. Do any of you guys with Courtney boots wear them in the States?

Not for what you are doing! I spent most of my adult life living is Alaska and Wyoming. Courteney’s are not designed for that country. You need exactly what you’re using!

I do use my Courteney’s around the farm, going to town and for light hiking. They’re great for that, but they really come into their own in Africa. They are incredibly quiet, which you wouldn’t expect looking at the soles.

I should note that I wore the Russel PH on my first hunt and have been in the Courteney Selous ever since. At last count I own four different pair (two vellie and two Selous). :unsure: Though I don't hunt in the green leather pair - merely wear them look cool. :cool: They fit me perfectly for a long day trying to walk down a buffalo. They are neither a mountain boot, nor are they a wading boot (as I discovered in my first trip to the Delta - though they and I survived). For a swamp hunt, the Under Armour Jungle Rat is hard to beat, and I wear Kenetrek in true mountains. But for 90% of Africa, I love Courtrney.

'Should be fine if you watch where you walk (rocks and puff adders.) 'Had many diff brand hiking boots in Africa and had problems with std Danner's as they were too stiff. 'Switched up to Kenetrek Desert and Safari and never looked back. (Danner nearly ruined one safari i had so many foot issues never experienced before.) But, the lightweight hikers (much like running shoes favored by old PHs) should be a bit easier on your feet, just no so protective/supportive as the right boots...

Want to give a shout out to Jim @African Sporting Creations. Sent him a PM earlier and he called me within minutes. We discussed the boots and culling belt i was interested in and the options I had. He checked the loop size for my 404 and his current stock of Courtney boots. Once he confirmed that he had what I wanted the order was placed. Highly recommend Jim!

@Scott CWO , I’ve never been to the states but done Africa once and so far purchased 2 pair Courteney, Selous and Patrol. The Patrol were a generous fit for the same stamped size, my son loves them they were a better fit for him.
That’s where Jim’s policy and service would ensure a great fit from a handcrafted boot.
I have another pair on order direct from Courteney. I hope they can ship soon.
I wear the boots in Australia in the dry, Great boots wearing them now as I went for a walk this morning. I wore them to Africa from door to door as we travelled light so they were it except for some throngs for in camp.

Not a mountain boot, not a we try weather boot but we’re never designed as such and it’s a case of horses for courses.

Kenetrek does make both Safari and Desert hiking boots. Modern. Superior. Proven. And, I'm not trying to sell you anything. Own 2 pair for work, work on a farm farm and hunting the globe.

Last edited:
I wore Batas sneakers when I lives in Zim.Yes you do get an occaitional thorn,stop and pull it out! You are quiet as a cat .Made in Guanda Zim like a boating sneaker.Boots in the Bush are like clod hoppers! The key is being comfortable but quiet.America requires rugged boots on a hunt.Africa is about the stalk!

I ordered the Boyt which are just elastic. Appears that it’s a slip on.

Glad you had good luck with the Merrels. Maybe my Danners will work then.
It's kind of funny how we all go 'round and 'round about boots. Philip Hathaway Capstick was a huge fan of Hi-Tecs, right off the shelf basically, similar to these. My first PH in Namibia used some fairly hard soled work boots and loved them, my last PH in South Africa wore no frills slip on boots. I own a pair of Russel Thula Thulas that have worked great for three hunts and plenty of hikes on the hillside trails in the Anchorage bowl, no failures what so ever. Moral of the story, wear what is comfortable to you (which these seem to be) and I bet they work for a plains game hunt. If something doesn't work quite right note that and hone things down for hunt #2.

Drew and 318AE,

Thank you for your kind words.

Asking which pairs of boots is best is like saying which Italian restaurant has the best Puttanesca (everyone knows it is Tre Frattelli's). To echo what Ryan said, it is all about fit. If your feet are not happy you are going to have a terrible experience. I have customers that wear nothing but Courteney boots and own over a dozen pairs. Other folks would not wear them if I gave them a pair because they are not comfortable for them. The one thing that is not in dispute is that Courteney boots wear like iron. PH's call them the 10,000 mile boot and for good reason. My wife's run flats on her Toyota Sienna had to be replaced at 11,000 miles, I have a 17 year old pair of Courteney boots with their tyre tread sole that are well on their way to surpassing that figure and another 8 year old pair of Hippo safaris that are over 5,000 miles.

Are they expensive? Yes, but when you think about how many pairs of $200 boots you will go through in that same period they become much more "affordable". When I asked Jim Carmichael, who at the time was the Shooting Editor of Outdoor Life what was the most important item to bring on safari he surprised me by saying two pairs of comfortable boots.

Jim

I think 90% of my hunting is done in these three pairs of boots. I use rubber Le Chameau boots on some hunts that are wet.

Lowa Renegade for Colorado/ Winter.
Courteney Safari for Africa / stalking
Palladiums for warm early season hunts.

574C9A27-BC2A-40AE-BEE1-55E6632DA639.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Stop in Windhoek and get a pair of these hunting boots. Turns out, they work well in Namibia. That said, you will still need a broken-in pair of boots.

I don't love cloth uppers- too many seeds. I use a pair of the arcto boots and a pair of Allen edmonds: https://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/...21.html?dwvar_SF6021_color=3113#start=1&sz=71

They look presentable on the plane and in town and I've put plenty of miles of hunting time on mine.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-17 at 4.27.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-17 at 4.27.30 PM.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 182
  • Screen Shot 2020-11-17 at 4.27.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-17 at 4.27.37 PM.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 221
  • Screen Shot 2020-11-17 at 4.27.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-17 at 4.27.39 PM.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 239
  • Screen Shot 2020-11-17 at 4.27.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-17 at 4.27.48 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 169
  • Screen Shot 2020-11-17 at 4.28.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-17 at 4.28.03 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 174
@Bert the Turtle
Those Edmonds boots look nice. I wore that brand back when I wad a working stiff.

I could use a pair for funerals.... and safaris.

Those boots will do the job but if you are planning to go in Africa more often pls mind few things:
1. There is a lot of dust and sand so leather would be easier to clean that any other material
2. Stalking is name of the game so look for soft and silent sole
3. Lot of torn and sharp rocks can easily cut through textile. Again, leather is good choice
4. You will mainly hunt in dry area so any membrane will just prevent your foot from proper ventilation - doesn't matter how "breathable" this layer is. Also, would be smart to bring extra pair with membrane - just in case.
5. A lot of seeds will be "attracted" by textile so you will spend some time cleaning it every now and then. I especially remember some "klitz grass" (at least its pronounced so in Afrikaans) which made me busy 15min after every hunt, taking this thing off of my shoe laces and trousers. Again, leather winn.
6. Gaiters are THE MUST! Copying PHs, I used 5" high gaiters made of hard khaki cotton. Found them at Midway for 10$, best buy I ever had.
12 ys ago I bought best stalking boots I ever had. They was made in Namibia from seal skin. Tick but extremely soft leather (therefore reco for person who have bunion problems) with very soft and silent sole. Unfortunately, due to seal colonies protection, factory can not find seal skin any more so they stopped production. Since I can not find them any more, I am using them just for Africa hunts and meanwhile keeping them stored. Definitively not most beautiful boots but for hunt in hot and dry can not find anything better

IMG-4448.JPG
IMG-4447.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Watch out for Courtney boots. I ordered months ago and still no boots. So disappointed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg