Hunters heading to South Africa and Outfitters be aware of poor firearm importation process

AfricaHunting.com

Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
Wanted to pass on this informative email below that I received today from AH member @bossiem.

Hi Jerome,

Here is some information if you wish to share it on AH!

I just got off the phone with an Outfitter who has spent 6 hours at OR Tambo sorting out a problem.
Apparently there is a new Captain handling the import permits for firearms entering the country. She has everyone under the impression that any hunting outfitter or hunting farm should be accredited with the SAPS to conduct hunts. She presented the outfitter with a letter stating that all shooting ranges has to be accredited with the SAPS (all true), but there is no such thing as an Outfitter or hunting farm has to be accredited. In the ongoing struggle with the new captain the outfitter called PHASA who in return called General Bosman of the firearm department, who explained the procedures to the captain. Apparently the captain and other SAPS members have been called in to see General Bosman tomorrow and also receive proper training on the importation legislation.

If anyone experiences this problem please report it to PHASA immediately.

I am sure this issue is only temporary and will be solved soon.

Kind Regards,
Bossie Mostert

Good to know, especially for a 1st timer!

I sure hope they get it fixed before I go this year.

Please those that go keep us up-dated.

Untrained and in charge of one of the cogs in one of the biggest money makers in RSA.

Yeesh!

Hope the General gets her set straight in a rush.

Last edited:
Untrained and in charge of one of the cogs in the biggest money maker in RSA.

That sounds like something the US would do......o_O

Welcome to Africa I suppose. Glad it will get sorted out soon....Maybe.

called in to see General Bosman tomorrow

General Bosman....

Is that what Bossie calls himself these days???? ;)

The U.S. certainly doesn't have the market cornered when it comes to bureaucracy overstepping bounds just to show they can.

I think just someone wanting to make an extra 10 or 20. Just like the tip I had to pay to get my gun my domestic flight from JNB.

The fact that the superiors have taken action as soon as it came to light sounds like a good thing. I wonder if a North Americian customs official would get corrected so efficiently if a hunting group called to complain.

The fact that the superiors have taken action as soon as it came to light sounds like a good thing. I wonder if a North Americian customs official would get corrected so efficiently if a hunting group called to complain.
I think @Pheroze is right on this one.

Does anyone recall the fuss over the US Customs form our American friends need? There was a time not so long ago when someone decided that this form was no longer any good, and every hunter leaving the US had to have some other form. To be precise, US hunters leaving the US with guns and ammo were told they needed: "Electronic Export Information (EEI) in the Automated Export System (AES) to obtain an Internal Transaction Number (ITN). That took a while to get sorted out.

Bureaucracy is the same all over the world. What differs is how long it takes for common sense to prevail. In some places, it never does.

I think @Pheroze is right on this one.

Does anyone recall the fuss over the US Customs form our American friends need? There was a time not so long ago when someone decided that this form was no longer any good, and every hunter leaving the US had to have some other form. To be precise, US hunters leaving the US with guns and ammo were told they needed: "Electronic Export Information (EEI) in the Automated Export System (AES) to obtain an Internal Transaction Number (ITN). That took a while to get sorted out.

Bureaucracy is the same all over the world. What differs is how long it takes for common sense to prevail. In some places, it never does.

Your post brought back memories of the nut-roll that whole process was. I remember having to take a pretty difficult and technical test to become an official exporter before I could apply for my ITN in AES... of course different ITNs for your rifle and ammo. UUUggggghhh. I was glad I had the paperwork just in case, but it was a relief when just the regular forms were required.

Thanks for sharing

Amazing. Glad someone was able to help.

Your post brought back memories of the nut-roll that whole process was. I remember having to take a pretty difficult and technical test to become an official exporter before I could apply for my ITN in AES... of course different ITNs for your rifle and ammo. UUUggggghhh. I was glad I had the paperwork just in case, but it was a relief when just the regular forms were required.
You should have talked to Robert or Rosella SSI....NO need

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sure they will get it all worked out. I am sure once the new staff learns the rules it will run just fine like before. I would not over react like the last time we had the scare. That went no place at all other then a few wasting time or the few who made money off of hunters for no reason at all.

That went no place at all other then a few wasting time or the few who made money off of hunters for no reason at all.

Who made money off of hunters for no reason at all?

I guess I'm weird too.... When I make money, I always have a reason. That reason is to make money, to spend it the way I want to. I think that must of us do this must of the time. Well, except for the non-profit organizations who must would agree shouldn't make a profit.

Anyone who charged hunters or the gov. on the paper work that guys were doing for the scare that was started about needing all that stuff to take your guns to Africa. It is all that info in hanks post. I do believe some companys were offering there service for a fee. In the end for something that was never needed. That I guess would be the no reason to have it if you never needed it to start with.

Some people are sheep I am just not one of them. I hate to see guys waste money for no reason is all but feel free to make it or spend it as you wish.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeanna9950

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.