How to get someone into hunting

FLhunter7

AH senior member
Reaction score
I've never really had anyone to hunt with ever since I started and now that my brothers moving away for a job there actually isn't anyone I know to even hunt with which really only leaves me with getting someone into it. Best option is my best friend who has the right qualities for a hunting but was never exposed to it leading him to be not that inviting for that. He is a liberal (yes I know but hes not a libtard at least) but his whole family is confusing me with how they feel. His dad has hunted at some point as he has real antlers on the wall and even though they are anti guns for tactical stuff they openly have a revolver and a shotgun just laying on a counter, yeah it confuses me too, definitely need to teach my friend about guns as he freaked out when he accidently cocked the revolver and I had to show him why it wouldn't have gone off( it was empty and is cap and ball). He and his Dad are also huge into the outdoors, camping trips every month and my friends about to get eagle scout. I've told him about hunting and he didn't seem all to enthusiastic but he was open for conversation in which he said if he was going to try it he wanted to do it with a bow which is at least a start. Have gotten him into archery by lending him my compound bow but now the question is where do I go from here to get him from being very hesitant to actually hunting. We'll both be 18 by next season so that's not really an issue. Thanks in advance

Give him a feed of venison over a beer, I've converted more than a few ranging from non hunter to anti hunter by getting them to eat the meat. Most people I think judge based on what they see in media, if you sit down and have a chat while eating some great meat they quickly learn it's actually not that bad to be a hunter.

Good on you for thinking about it and trying! JP’s got the right idea.

The whole liberal / conservative thing is interesting. I have elements of both, and probably lots of liberal ideas. Being liberal shouldn’t stop a bloke from being a practical conservationist. There may even be an increasing number of liberal-minded folks interested in getting their own wild, organic meat, free of the distastefulness of abattoirs.

The liberal part of my brain is slowly learning to not worry about the more conservative viewpoints that can be found on hunting forums - but only slowly!

If hunting and wildlife are to survive into the future we’re going to need to win folks like your mate over. And that’s never achieved by old-fashioned, alpha male bragging. It’s achieved by a humble respect and reverence for wildlife.

Why do you hunt?

Complete an actual Hunter Education Course. Take it with him.
Attend a quality range and just allow him to watch a competition- with subtitles.
Take him out for a stroll in the woods and show him some wildlife up close.
Drag a camera along and try to stalk in close.
Get him to invest in his own equipment. One piece at a time.

FLhunter7, does your friend like pork sausage for breakfast? If so, suggest a Hog hunt. There are lots of them in Florida and I assume they cause crop damage there as well. Sell him the hunt on the basis of helping out the local farmers. Just in case you haven't heard, hog hunting is a real hoot.

If the above suggestions fail! Tell him these are running all over the bush.
A8253DD7-3696-419D-A4CE-E1984B2ABB8F.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg