How to defend against the squirrels?

Would you be willing to sail across an ocean both ways to do a hunt the "old way"?

• Total voters
IMG_2692.JPG
IMG_2694.JPG

Fixing up a nice breakfast. Eggs, blueberries and leftover meatloaf

IMG_2696.JPG
American flag shorts

Do other nations experience this kind of patriotism? I don't know...

The first boat in the row, a 41 foot long Hunter, was the vessel for the day. Light, misting rain to start, but fairly good winds all day long. Five of us students on the roster today: me, bff, a dentist, a professor of electrical engineering and his wife.
20171007_082839.jpg

Quite roomy down there! It can sleep four adults in the two berths, and another behind the table.
20171007_083541.jpg
20171007_083527.jpg

We got a brief lesson on terminology and the rules of the water (who gets right of way, bouy meanings and such). Then we motored out of harbour and across the reservoir before hoisting the sails.
20171007_102301.jpg
20171007_100735.jpg

Throughout the day, everyone got a turn at the helm, both upwind and downwind. We all took turns working the lines on the sails when maneuvering.
20171007_103612.jpg

BFF on the boom line.
20171007_115104.jpg
20171007_111640.jpg

Will and I on the helm. Eventually, the water and wind made it safe to go forward. During a downwind run its really smooth sailing.
20171007_140353.jpg
20171007_140510.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The Professor and "Maryann" (since we all forgot her name) out here close to the thirty years marriage mark.
20171007_125613.jpg
20171007_140518.jpg
20171007_140405.jpg

Sometimes, during an upwind tack, running as close to the head wind and possible while keeping the sails full, we had the boat leaning almost far enough to dip the rails. Almost. Missed either one by less than ten inches.

Under serious wind the Captain took over again, but I jumped at the chance to drive as soon as possible there! And then it turned about and got smooth again.
20171007_142409.jpg
20171007_141141.jpg
20171007_142744.jpg

Great day sailing overall. We got good winds and bad, clear weather and moderate rains. Lots of turns and returns. And we got back into harbour before the real rains returned. No sunset sail for this trip .
20171007_153029.jpg

It dumped buckets of water on us all night long. The rent stayed dry inside, but after about four hours of rain on the roof I was ready to change the music...
Rain continued until after lunch the next day, and the three others didn't want to go out again. Will and I were vetoed.

However! The first mate there, good friend of the Captain, has a buddy wanting to sell a moderately sized, trailerable boat that will fill our purposes of learning nicely. I may just buy it next weekend.

Step one of the Great Plan to sail to the UK for a hunt?

CHECK! Learned the beginnings of sailing.

You were spoiled, a Hunter is a first class boat. What is the dingy you are considering? If you can find a CL-16 in good shape they are easy sailing for two. Decent size centre board boat, but fairly stable.

His friend has a McGregor 22 with an iron swing keel. Big enough I can take a few people, small enough I can pull it with my 2L diesel car
Tim said that 20-25 feet long would be a great place to learn how to sail well. And I've read many things that are good about the McGregor line.

Nice! I am not too familiar with those. But, it seems like it will do nicely. I bet its light weight will mean it heels quickly, but will only go so far. That's perfect to get her going. Will it have a genoa?

We had a Contessa 26, and I loved it. Especially when we got caught in a huge thunder storm on our way across Lake Ontario to the states. She has no problems in those waves! She was a safe, easy boat, that you could sail around the world. But, it is spartan inside. If you get serious about sailing adventures my advice is look at boats with very pointy lines (Contessa and hunters) vs the more rounded bow like a Swan. The former handle the rough stuff much better. Throw a Genoa on it, you won't win any races, but sailing it is easy.

Man I miss sailing! Enjoy!!!

1.25 Genoa on the one I'll be looking at. I do know the Mac has foam in the walls up high, so no sinking for sure.
Heeling was way fun! I grabbed the helm to do that as soon as I could

Just looking over the new thread @ROCKET posted showing the blackbucks. Real beautiful animals! So, of course, I had to pull up the map to see how far Argentina is from the US to consider for this sailing adventure.

While Argentina is way farther than the U.K. I noticed Venezuela is about the closest as far as South America goes. Does anyone know if there is good hunting in that country?

It's not trans Atlantic, but I could make that an adventure just the same, filling this dream of the "old ways" of international hunting. And see the Caribbean as I go through!

Without digging in too deep this early in the dream, do you have any short answers, @JamesJ? @BRICKBURN? Anyone else?

http://www.**NOT**PERMITTED**.com/hunting_article_details.cfm?id=256

I can't get the full article without buy-in to their service, but here's something on hunting in Guyana, which is a nearby country in the north

*edit*

But then there's this one mite recently which suggests not Guyana

https://www.kaieteurnewsonline.com/...s-for-tougher-laws-but-enforcement-a-problem/

Illegal hunting…Guyana moves for tougher laws, but enforcement a problem

Government is steaming ahead with plans to introduce tougher legislation to curb the wanton hunting of wildlife in Guyana.
Answering questions last week before Parliament’s Sectoral Committee on Natural Resources, Minister of Governance Raphael Trotman admitted that even when new laws are enacted, enforcement would be a problem. Wild meat or bush meat is popular in especially drinking spots and a lucrative business for many hunters.
The Minister would have been responding to questions from Committee Chairman and Member of Parliament Odinga Lumumba, who believes that hunting for sport is becoming a major problem, with especially a few rich persons involved.
The hunting of wild animals is almost a major problem – on the same level like that of overfishing in the rivers.
Lumumba urged the new administration to move quickly to address the situation.

With protected species becoming more endangered and sport-hunting proving a growing threat to the livelihoods of hinterland residents who depend on wildlife for food, the issue had been one of concern, especially for conservationists.
Trotman admitted that a paucity of law enforcement and difficulty in monitoring the country’s borders is making it difficult.
“It will be foolhardy to say we can bring it to zero,” he told the select committee.
But reducing illegal hunting and fishing is something that is being looked at by Government.
“The wanton and reckless killing of animals because you have the power to do so is not something we condone, but at the same time, hunting has been a feature that man has been involved in from time immemorial and I don’t know if we can stop it altogether. Certainly the wantonness has to be curbed and efforts are afoot to do so.”
He said that the Wildlife Division is pursuing the idea of an enforcement arm.
This, Trotman warned, will have to be carefully considered as the hinterland is no easy place, where firearm holders could also be intoxicated. He emphasised that the people involved in sport-hunting are not poor people.
“I should say that United Nations Office for Drugs and Crime recently put an offer to us for a review of the movement of animals. The trade of animals is akin to the trade of weapons and drugs and trafficking in persons, and we are currently considering the proposal.”

The new administration is also considering the Wildlife Conservation and Management Authority Bill. Previous laws had allowed for the harvesting of wildlife for various purposes including bush meat, scientific research etc. Breaking the regulations could have resulted in fines ranging from $30,000 to $750,000 along with prison time.
Currently, all species of wildcats including jaguars and pumas are protected, which means that their collection, holding in captivity, hunting, or otherwise molesting, is prohibited. This extends to the owning and selling of body parts of big cats.
Guyana is a signatory to a number of international treaties, in which government is responsible for the way the country handles trade of wildlife and protection of endangered species. With vast forests and thousands of species of exotic animals, there have been fears that commercial activities including logging and mining are impacting negatively.
Guyana has a significant wildlife trade, and there have been assertions that stronger regulations are required.

@ArmyGrunt........let me tell you that Venezuela is not enjoying his best moment at all.....they are suffering a tremendous political instability and their economy is compltelly done.

In the other hand I really dont know how developed the hunting industry is in Countrys as Venezuela, Guyana Suriname and any Contry in Central and top of South America......I guess that is not much to find.....I mean, not in a well organized hunting outffiter or hunting company.

If you are able to get our Coasts, you are welcome and I will be real glad to make the arragements for any hunting in Argentina soo dont hesitate in contact me any time.

Beyond this let me congratulate yo for your great sailing boat.....looks like a great ship......My father have owned two sailing boats during my youth....a little 20 feet in the beggining and then We move to a better 28 feet.....We were sailing for about 12 years at least......I have had the honor of running twice the Buenos Aires-Rio de Janeiro mythical Regatta when I was 25 years old......what a way of life my friend......I really miss that......

Soo........I hope you get a good wind in your back to keep your Spinnaker baloon well filled........have a good sea and maybe I see you arrives in this latitudes......!!!!!

Stay safe.......

Last edited:
This is the boat I'm looking to buy in a couple weeks. I wish I could get one of those bigger monsters, but it's not in the cards for me just yet.

IMG_2699.JPG

Once I become financially independent, I may well take a few months off work and go a tremendous distance around the globe.

It's neat that I'm finding more people on here that share my interests beyond hunting. Such a diverse bunch we are, for sure

Looks very good and in a good shape.....very similar to a 20 footer class We used to have with my father.....you make me remember that great part of my life.........

Than you.....!!!!

Glad I could help! I'm so excited to get this 22 footer on the water. And to practice, practice, practice so I can sail the world. To hunt the world.

"Dream huge, or don't bother" is how I see things

Well, it's going to be a real late night and long day tomorrow. We're starting the 230ish mile road trip home with the new *used* boat. The seller threw in so much extra stuff!

She'll need some clean up, and the lightest of repair, but I'm pretty excited. I should be able to get a nice cleanup in a couple weeks, after classes lighten up.

IMG_2819.JPG

Spotted this in the parking lot at breakfast this morning. Gotta be a sign, given I usually say "dream big, or don't bother"

Congratulations @ArmyGrunt on your new boat.....looks great and seems to be in a very good shape.....from what I see it has folding keel, which is very good in shallow waters......greats moments on board are waiting for you.....yes......Dream Big.....that applies to my way of thinking too......

Very well done........(y)

Pretty good shape. I can tend to the few minor things. But it'll need bottom paint at some point.

Sad thing is, I got home to find that it's too tall for my carport, so I'll need to find a cover or build one

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warren03T

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross