How to defend against the squirrels?

Would you be willing to sail across an ocean both ways to do a hunt the "old way"?

• Total voters

ArmyGrunt

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Hungary
Click bait, yes, but it sort of worked. I did get you to look!

I have this problem with squirrels catching my attention, and making my goals change to and fro. I have had a dream of hunting the six continents for quite some time. Thanks, AH forums for that one!

I've been dreaming of going back to Africa since the first round, as you've all said I would; and to anyone who gets to achieve this goal. In the notion of pursuing the 6 continent goal, I have thought about bear in Romania, stag or tahr in NZ, roe in UK, hippo in SA (or another country), and the list continues.

More recently, I saw how amazing the low mountains are in Mongolia. That made me again adjust my goal from the NZ stag, which was a change from the previous (feel free to pick something. The list changes more than I can keep track).

My little lady has told me that once I learn to sail she'd be willing to go out and have a try with that hobby. I've had a desire to learn sailing for about 3 years, but never had the opportunity to do so. 3 years ago, while teaching Army basic training in Oklahoma, I got a book from the library on sailing and read it cover to cover. Fascinated, I was soaking up all that knowledge with my bread-roll of a brain. This fall semester, I decided to look and see if my college had sailing as an extracurricular activity. BINGO! They have a 2-day course that takes place on 3 occasions during the calendar year. The next one is the first weekend of October. I got myself registered, and my BFF will be joining me. We used to take a weekly kayak trip, but alas, our schedules are far too busy for that this year. I may have spent a fair amount of time scouring the classifieds looking for an inexpensive boat to buy and practice with, rather than doing some of the studying that will probably bite me in the arse.

Tonight, I was having a discussion with her about whether she has interest in hunting. She said she'd never been extended the offer by her ex, so couldn't comment too much. I then told her about this 6 continent goal, and she mentioned I could take her so she can relax while I'm out in the field.

Then all the pieces kind of fell together... in one of our threads here, we had discussed "the old ways" where the hunter had to sail across the Atlantic, get to the Dark Continent, then travel to wherever the hunting ground may be for the hunt, and repeat. I think I could make a trip like this, but do a cheaper hunt in the UK, and do it for less money that that Mongolian ibex that was most recently on the menu.

Again, thanks AH forums for planting this seed. Maybe I need to take a break from here, y'all are a really confusing influence on my dreams! Justly, though, I did spend some time on a thread goading, I mean convincing, another member to go after his hippo.

And so, I arrive at the real topic of this thread: how do you gents, or ladies, manage to pick a goal, stay focused on it, and ultimately accomplish that mission? Do any of you dream as big and wild as I'm describing here? Does anyone have some good/great or even mediocre advice on how to help me keep these sights set on this ginormous and amazing trip I just now dreamed up? I could do a better job of planning, if I could decide on one thing and stick to it.

Takes a lot of focus to set a big goal and stick to it! First, I suggest writing the goal down. Second, amend same after discussion with the wife. Three, list out the action steps needed to achieve the goal. Make sure these steps are time bound and where appropriate measurable. Example, I will save $$$$ money by such and such date. Four, research those aspects of achieving the goal that will require more knowledge than you posess today.
Five, start with small steps and graduate to bigger ones with regards to your action steps.
Refer back to your written goal and action steps frequently. Use your wife or a trusted friend to help you stay on track with your action steps by meeting from time to time. Review your progress and determine specific gaps and what must be done to stay on track.
Celebrate your progress along the way until you get to begin your big adventure.

Thanks, Charlie!

I was actually looking earlier at the relatively wide space between the front door and my son's room, and considering how I might need to put a written plan up there to see on a daily.

If I remember right, I think you were the one who gave me such deep insight into the "money tree" question I posted on here a long time ago. Looking at that hunted list below your name, I'll wager you're pretty darn good at that goal planning thing :A Hi Five:

Good luck with your planning.

Five, start with small steps and graduate to bigger ones with regards to your action steps.
Refer back to your written goal and action steps frequently.
+1
Personally, I think getting to a big goal is really the culmination of a series of smaller achievements. Anything too big is a dream, not a goal, and it is hard to stay focused on something as amorphous as a dream. Look at what is attainable (first step), and that achievement will make the next step a little closer.

Nice comparison there. I like the attainable part. I liken that to the feeling of satisfaction that comes with checking items off a list. Which is, indeed, what this process is going to be.

I have sailed since my dad got his first boat when I was 6, and I think it is a great hobby. It is far more comfortable than a motorboat. I think that's because you have to work with the wind and the waves, and not just smash through. The trick is to understand angles, because your path is dictated by the direction of the wind. Often you have to go way out of your way in order to make a line to the point you want to reach. If you remember that point you will not find yourself out on the lake confused as to how to get back to the dock!:LOL:

Thanks, Charlie!

I was actually looking earlier at the relatively wide space between the front door and my son's room, and considering how I might need to put a written plan up there to see on a daily.

If I remember right, I think you were the one who gave me such deep insight into the "money tree" question I posted on here a long time ago. Looking at that hunted list below your name, I'll wager you're pretty darn good at that goal planning thing :A Hi Five:

Army Grunt I have to work with goal setting every day at work. The process I use is not something I invented rather it's adopted. Dreams can become reality but it takes work. It took me nearly 50 years to get to African the first time. My boyhood dreams became reality only once I got real serious about it.

From one grunt to another: my personal favorite: What can be conceived can be created!! Just do it. Jacques

The one thing I would do write it down, write down all those goals and used that to keep you focused on what you want to do. Use an Excel document to track a timeline and to show adjustments. It also let's you show progress, I have been on a steady march checking off items on my bucket list. You can do it brother!

Just how much booze would this trip take? I just went through Harvey and by the end thought I was a pirate! I could just imagine sailing to Africa! I also drank a 300 dollar bottle of scotch while wearing an antelope decoy hat! It was a long week! Lol

what helped me on my first trip to africa, make a separate bank account, and put some money in it. the account was named "africa".

i don't have the means to hunt elephants and lions, but i did have the means to hunt plains game, so that was my goal. (it seemed attainable) i did so.

that done and somewhat educated, i set a new goal, to hunt cape buffalo. am on track for that and by oct 2018, i will have the money together (after 3 years) and intend to shoot an old beat up (not a pretty or wide bull) dagga boy, with a double 450-400.

my next goal? i dunno, will see what happens after i get a buffalo. but it all started for me by taking the first step and saving the money. some folks have the means to go every year, some can go multiple times a year. I'm not that guy. which is fine, i am thankful for the opportunities that i do get.

good luck with your dreams!

I've found the most effective way for saving money is not unlike yours. One savings account for "travel" one for "911".
Every check gets ten percent removed and put into one of those. I saved a bunch this year, until I need a car...

The weekend is upon me. We got to the Land Between the Lakes national reserve just after sunset tonight. Got the tent pitched, minimal comfort measures lining the floor.
IMG_2683.JPG

Sleeping bags for if they're needed, but a low in the mid 70s.

We, my best buddy and I, brought some foods to cook. And a small stack of locust for burning. My dad warned me when cooking the steaks to watch the meat closely: locust burns real hot.

As I'm watching the fire burn, I got some flashbacks of Biki Bini Bos in S.A. These little chunks are turning into mighty nice coals, just like I saw daily over yonder.
IMG_2684.JPG

We're going to have a mighty nice brai for dinner tomorrow night, after a long day learning how to sail.

Squirrel in Zimbabwe, seriously.

DSC01899.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VEXCatheri

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!