Troubleshooter

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hunted
USA, Canada, West Germany, Romania
If you have an old fine British double...do not risk the rifle with possibly erratic ammo, these are also collectable BTW...my 2 cents..

Pondoro: Thank you. I understand that they are collectible (albeit to a very limited number of collectors), but I actually ended up with several boxes of these, and thus wasn't too concerned with disassembling one for study. I intend to keep perhaps two boxes for my own collection. The remainder may become trading material at some point, minus the one that I disassembled.

Troubleshooter

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hunted
what is the barrel groove diameter?
bruce.
I'm far from an expert, but I recall reading that the bores on early rifles could be as small as .408" or as large as .412" in size. However, the standard seemed to be .411" until Ruger started chambering their No. 1 rifle in .450/400 3" at which time Ruger and Hornady seem to have standardized their products at .410". I know that Woodleighs are available in both .410 and .411 sizes.

Last edited:

Troubleshooter

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hunted
A few other things that I noticed about these old cartridges may be of interest. First, note the "crimp" on the base of the cartridge neck; there are three of these placed equidistantly around the cartridge neck.

This corresponded to the cannelure which was located near the base of the bullet. In the attached photo, you can see the cannalure near the base of the 1953-vintage bullet (left side of photo). Compare that to 2019-vintage Woodleigh (center) and Hornady DGX (right) bullets, both of which have the cannalure close to the mid-section of the bullet as we are more used to seeing in recent times.

Another interesting thing noted was the cartridge overall length (COL). The Hornady reloading manual lists a maximum COL of 3.735" Graeme Wright's excellent book lists 3.75" as does my copy of the late Frank Barnes' Cartridges of the World.

In measuring actual factory ammunition however, Hornady's DGX load was 3.682" while the old Kynoch came in at 3.745"
Not sure that means much to any of you, but I certainly found it interesting!

Kynoch crimp.jpg
1953 Kynoch_2019 Woodleigh_2019 Hornady DGX.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MilesSturg

Latest profile posts

Rifle57 wrote on Rimshot's profile.
I bought some bullets from Rimshot and he is good to trade with!
Greetings all! I've been a hunter for 50 years, but only now planning a trip to Africa. I was fortunate and successfully bid on a couple hunts for plains game in SA later this year and next. Also a rare Native Texas (5th generation) and USMC Vet. Hunt safe y'all!
uujm wrote on trg's profile.
I am looking for a Safari Express. Was yours made in New Haven or South Carolina? Any other details you can give me? I am very motivated to buy.
pimes wrote on flatwater bill's profile.
Hello Bill - can you tell me that landowner/ranch/outfitter - Thank you!
Pete0905 wrote on damundsen87's profile.
Hello
Is the Khales 1-6 still for sale?
Thanks
Josh