How many outfits you contacted before booking?

How many outfits did you contact before booking your first hunt?

• 1 to 3

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • 4 to 6

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • 7 to 10

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • 11 to 15

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • 16 to 25

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • 26 to 35

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • 36 to 45

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 46 to 55

• 56 to 70

• More than 70

Votes: 2 5.3%

• Total voters
I actually contacted none before the first hunt as I went with a personal reference from a fellow hunter who's been hunting Africa for years, probably ten countries, killed the big five and is now on his 18th trip as I write. I'm lucky to have him as a mentor.

If only we all had those kind of resources.

Researched, probably about ten, actually contacted by EMail six, spoke to on the phone two.

I am surprised by the number of people who contacted 1-3. I wonder how many outfits those who had bad hunts contacted?

A good agent can save a lot of time and BS , even if you don't end up using him. Most agents will steer you in the right direction away from bad outfitters. If a client or potential client mentions someone really bad, I will advise against using them. Another big mistake is even after many people do some checking on outfitters and safari clients they still book with the cheapest priced outfitter. a good hunt may cost a few buck more but the headaches are always less.

James, since I don't know you. I assume you were not born an agent!. :)

Did you use an agent to book your first hunt or contact them yourself?

I am surprised by the number of people who contacted 1-3. I wonder how many outfits those who had bad hunts contacted?

Quit jumping ahead in the research damn it. :)

I actually contacted none before the first hunt as I went with a personal reference from a fellow hunter who's been hunting Africa for years, probably ten countries, killed the big five and is now on his 18th trip as I write. I'm lucky to have him as a mentor.

Never thought of that category. Technically you are using a proxy agent. :)

Researched, probably about ten, actually contacted by EMail six, spoke to on the phone two.

That is the kind of contact progression I anticipated.
Cursory glance
Serious look
Emails
Phone calls or meetings.

I use a consultant/booking agent - saves a lot of grief.

For another thread really. How did you choose your agent? How did you check them out?
It would appear to be about the same process really. Just fewer to choose from.

I've mentioned this on a couple of other threads and my method for selecting a Namibian hunt is thus:

I looked through the forum for potential outfitters, looked at the NAPHA website and tried a good old Google search.

Visited all websites to see what was on offer, the animals available, the geographical location, the prices, whether of not it was a fenced hunt, basically selecting those that met my criteria.

I saved all those that qualified as book marks and revisited them, noting the pros and cons.

Once I had a good selection I started emailing. I outlined what I was looking for and asked if they could accommodate my wishes.

I have so far emailed about twenty outfitters.

From their replies - or lack of - I can narrow it down further. Some of the good looking outfitters who I was drawn to didn't reply or were very half hearted. Any that didn't answer my questions after asking twice were crossed off my list. Any that delayed replying within a reasonable time or came across as not being particularly interested in my business were crossed off.

I have narrowed it down to about four potential destinations now but I have a few more emails to send. My final choice will come down to how helpful they are in answering my queries, what my wife and daughter think about my choices and I will make a final decision shortly.

I have noticed that most of the better replies have come from family run concerns. The bigger organisations either didn't reply or just fobbed me off with a price list that I could easily see on their website and didn't seem interested in conversing with me.
One of the 'better' companies sent me loads of emails with links to their youtube videos, photos, self promotional features etc and each time they sent me the above I asked again for their prices which needless to say never arrived so I gave up.

It may seem like a faff to many but I want to make sure I get the best experience and the most enjoyable time with people who I have established a decent rapport with in surroundings I appreciate.

So for my first Safari, which will be this August, I contacted none. My cousin was my "proxy agent" as Brickburn put it. I don't really count that though as I trust my cousin implicitly and he did a ton of research before hand, and this will be his second safari with Chifuti.

Now for my second safari, which I'm already starting to plan, I'm doing a LOT of research, here, via websites, and I went to DSC. In the end though that will result in actual contact and communication (not counting DSC as contact unless I talk to them again) with 4-6. For me, this is suffcient, but I can sure see how people do more.

I was in contact with well over 70 when I started my search years ago.Search this year some more and found two here fron the site that fit what I am looking for on my next trip.I would bet though I ruled out more then half after first contact back from them.Yes some are done just because of price others how they answered back alot because they promise to much.You do your home work right you can get a fair price on a hunt and unlike what some think paying more does not always equal better.

I was in contact with well over 70 when I started my search years ago.Search this year some more and found two here fron the site that fit what I am looking for on my next trip.I would bet though I ruled out more then half after first contact back from them.Yes some are done just because of price others how they answered back alot because they promise to much.You do your home work right you can get a fair price on a hunt and unlike what some think paying more does not always equal better.

Looks like AH helped you cut down on the number you had to contact. :)

From their replies - or lack of - I can narrow it down further. Some of the good looking outfitters who I was drawn to didn't reply or were very half hearted. Any that didn't answer my questions after asking twice were crossed off my list. Any that delayed replying within a reasonable time or came across as not being particularly interested in my business were crossed off.

I find this astounding. The outfitter goes to all the trouble to design a great web site etc, manages to attract a customer and then stumbles and blunders and throws away the opportunity for a sale.

I wonder how they are going about qualifying buyers?

By the way everyone, thanks for playing.

I thought I would throw my response in here as a likely anomaly.
As you might guess my numbers of contacts were up in the hundreds.
Just reviewing web pages; into the thousands.

From this, I think it would be so much simpler to just find out where Brickburn goes, and just go there.....LOL

From this, I think it would be so much simpler to just find out where Brickburn goes, and just go there.....LOL

ha ha ha yha , that crossed my mind to fella :clapping:

ha ha ha yha , that crossed my mind to fella :clapping:

As long as you like and want the same things that might be true, BUT, it is always best to open your own eyes.

You will have an appreciation for the outfitter or agent you finally settle on after all the hard work. :)

LOL When does your book come out Wayne?

So famous, I am a legend in my own mind.

You guys get to read my books for free right here.
Can't do better than that.
It's the only way to motivate you guys to write and pay each other back with some good entertainment.

Seeing the number of outfitters at the local shows I was interested to watch how many hunters talked to each outfit or had specific outfitters they were there to talk to.

Lots more sitting down and talking at this last show. It will be interesting to compare.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LillianaLe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg