How I Made Friends With The 577NE.

Brian

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Some people talk about the 577NE like it is terrible to carry and shoot.

"It's Too Heavy!"
We might be getting a bit soft these days. The American soldier in WW2 carried and fought with the M1 through thick and thin. ( Plus a pack and equipment.) It weighed 10-12 pounds and was about 6 inches longer than a break open rifle. I think the BAR was about 20 lbs.

Most 577NE double rifles today weigh between 10 and 14 lbs. with 12 lbs. being popular. ( my single shot 577NE weighs just under 12 lbs.)
Most cape buffalo hunters today, usually walk and stalk for less that 3 hours in the morning and 3 hours in the afternoon. Usually less.

"Oh the Brutal Recoil! "
I have to agree that the 577NE is hell to sight in on a bench, so I just get it close on the sticks and then fine tune it with a shot or two on the bench.
The recoil of a 577NE is easier for me than the sharp kick of a 416 Rigby. The 577NE is more of a shove than a kick, I try to relax, pull it into my shoulder firmly and let it rock me back some. I squeeze the trigger even with a quick shot. As soon as the sights are on, I do a "quick squeeze" on the trigger. Its quick but it's still a squeeze not a jerk.
As you know, if you jerk the trigger on these big guns they seem to kick more and you may flinch. It works best when you do a quick squeeze and the brain is slightly surprised when the trigger breaks.

Just a note on the killing power. Poor bullets will make a whimp out of a big bore rifle. First rate expanding bullet are common. Swift is excellent, I like CEB Raptors.
However, many cape buffalo hunters still don't have solid bullets sorted out. I use solids with a wide flat meplat as they provide deep, straight penetration and leave an open wound channel. No round nose solids for me!

I find the 577NE is very satisfying to hunt cape buffalo with. It kills decisively and the tracker loves it. (chuckle)

Is the 577NE needed to kill cape buffalo? Of course not. The 416 is more than enough as long as you use good bullets.
The 577NE has the "Wow" factor and at 76 years of age I will take all the "Wow" I can get. Cheers, Brian

Last edited:
Great post. I have not shot a .577 NE, but have shot .50 bolts. Agree with you that the recoil is sharper from a .416 Rigby than those old "shove" recoil calibers.

"Why do you need to use (fill in the blank big bore) when you could use (fill in the blank smaller caliber)?" That question misses the point. Kind of like when my non-shooting friends question my recent gun purchase. I don't "need" another rifle, I want it. There's the difference.

Been past "need" since I checked the small/medium/large boxes.

Oh , the .577 NE is definitely a fine one . Most professional ivory hunters of the early 20th century used one ( Captain James Sutherland being a prime example ) . Amongst modern day white hunters , it’s Mark Sullivan’s backup rifle of choice . Jeff Rann also used a Holland & Holland Sidelock Ejector in this caliber for quite a few years of his career , before shifting to a William Evans Boxlock Ejector in .500 Nitro Express . His reasons for doing so , mirror my own findings : A properly loaded .500 NE will outpenetrate both the .577 NE and the .600 NE by quite a margin ( especially at acute angles ) .

Hunter-Habib, Yes the 500 is great cape buffalo calibre. I use a 50-110 Winchester with a custom chamber necked down to true .500 cal. 410 grain Cutting Edge Raptor bullet at about 2,100fps. It is a hammer!

Some people talk about the 577NE like it is terrible to carry and shoot.

"It's Too Heavy!"
We might be getting a bit soft these days. The American soldier in WW2 carried and fought with the M1 through thick and thin. ( Plus a pack and equipment.) It weighed 10-12 pounds and was about 6 inches longer than a break open rifle. I think the BAR was about 20 lbs.

Most 577NE double rifles today weigh between 10 and 14 lbs. with 12 lbs. being popular. ( my single shot 577NE weighs just under 12 lbs.)
Most cape buffalo hunters today, usually walk and stalk for less that 3 hours in the morning and 3 hours in the afternoon. Usually less.

"Oh the Brutal Recoil! "
I have to agree that the 577NE is hell to sight in on a bench, so I just get it close on the sticks and then fine tune it with a shot or two on the bench.
The recoil of a 577NE is easier for me than the sharp kick of a 416 Rigby. The 577NE is more of a shove than a kick, I try to relax, pull it into my shoulder firmly and let it rock me back some. I squeeze the trigger even with a quick shot. As soon as the sights are on, I do a "quick squeeze" on the trigger. Its quick but it's still a squeeze not a jerk.
As you know, if you jerk the trigger on these big guns they seem to kick more and you may flinch. It works best when you do a quick squeeze and the brain is slightly surprised when the trigger breaks.

Just a note on the killing power. Poor bullets will make a whimp out of a big bore rifle. First rate expanding bullet are common. Swift is excellent, I like CEB Raptors.
However, many cape buffalo hunters still don't have solid bullets sorted out. I use solids with a wide flat meplat as they provide deep, straight penetration and leave an open wound channel. No round nose solids for me!

I find the 577NE is very satisfying to hunt cape buffalo with. It kills decisively and the tracker loves it. (chuckle)

Is the 577NE needed to kill cape buffalo? Of course not. The 416 is more than enough as long as you use good bullets.
The 577NE has the "Wow" factor and at 76 years of age I will take all the "Wow" I can get. Cheers, Brian
I want a BAR?

"Big caliber means worst shooting" M.S.
Who really needs a back up rifle ?
Ultimately, it is the usual comparison of tai-llength among men.:A Outta:

Well...WHEN you need a back up rifle you usually need it badly..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriBlorm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg