How good is Sig Sauer 1-5x20 Whiskey5 scopes?

85lc

AH senior member
Reaction score
How good is the Sig Sauer Whiskey5 scopes?

I am looking for a 1" scope 1x-5x or 1.5x - 5x. The retail price is about $999 but see them as low as $500.

If I don't get the Sig, I likely would get the Leupold VX3HD which seems like a good scope for low light.

The scope will be installed on a prewar drilling with claw mounts, n=hence the 1" scope and small objective lens. My Leupold 2.5x8 will not tip on/off.

They appear to be discontinued which may explain the price. With Sig being primiarly a firearms company, I would question their commitment to the optics market. They may always carry optics, but the source could change quite frequently - a problem trying to get it fixed should the need come about. It's also a heavier scope.

I'd probably go with the VX3HD. Despite being a pain in the ass to make down adjustments, imo they are far superior to the recent VX3 line.

You may also consider the Vortex Diamondback 1.75-5x32. Pretty good scope for the money and you have the advantage of a 32mm.

I use a Whiskey 5 5-25 for the odd PRS or NRL shoot, culling and varminting. I’m a big fan of Swarovski and Zeiss, but for what I paid for the Sig it’s one hell of a scope. The turrets are crisp and the illuminated reticule is very sharp. Clarity is on par with the Swaro Z3 range

I decided on the Leupold VX3HD based upon Leupold specializes in optics and Sig Sauer may not have a true optics focus and the optics for Leupold are manufactured in-house whereas Sig Sauer are manufactured in China and other low cost countries.

I have a different Sig on my .45-70; it worked well for my zebra and buff. That said both were middle of the day/sunny. A whole lot of scopes likely would have worked just fine. I would note it has done fine with the recoil. Also, I love their rangefinders.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReynaUrquh

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.