How far do you have to travel to even hunt?

My local hunts are 10-15min away. My Ohio spot is 6.5hrs. I think the travel has to depend on several factors such as how good the opportunity is and how adventurous you are. I enjoy hunting trips where I stay days at a time, but if I had to commute over an hour each way for local hunting, I'd be looking for alternatives. I'd do it if there was absolutely no other way, but I'd always be looking for something closer.

About an hour for public land. 4.5 hrs for my lease.

Out my kitchen door for whitetail, 30 min drive for grouse, 5+ hour drive for good phesant, 10+ for western big game.

I live in a small town of 500 people. I have shot a limit of geese before breakfast 500 meters from my door, the closest legal distance from other dwellings. Mule deer and whitetail deer a little farther at 2 km on my own property. Sometimes moose there too. Our hunting camp is 350 km away. Elk, moose, bear, white tails, grouse, waterfowl, furbearers etc. This picture was taken from my front step. View attachment 516824

I'm a dyed in the wool waterfowler. To have an opportunity like that for snow geese is simply a dream for me. Amazing.

Been waiting for someone to give the approximate distance to Southern Africa....

I can hunt on about 5000 acres just outside my front door. However the bigger areas of about 160 000 acres of hunting grounds that I have hunting rights on are about 75 miles away from my house, which is a 2 hour drive.

450 feet from any occupied building, per the law (and to be sporting!) It was once a 1-4 hr drive, but not anymore...It took my Great Grandfather 12 hrs to drive up to his childhood farm using the old Ford. He lived so long, he was the first to take me hunting!
1676314053986.jpeg

Deer, coyotes, pigs, waterfowl about 10 feet out the door. Elk, pronghorn, mule deer-350 miles to 1,000.
To go where I really want to be these days- its 90 miles to DFW airport, then 9,000 miles to Africa.
IMG_5865.JPG

My son's deer with our house in the background! It is so nice to be able to step out the back door and roam for a couple of miles of creeks and woods as a kid.

about 1 hour for public land. 5 hours for my deer lease. I also live in a metroplex.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cowboy76

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross