How do you do it?!? Deciding your Target list

add up the cost of all of them, add 22.5% to the total for things I shoot that I didn't plan on shooting.
Cody
Hi, Bullthrower, just out of curiosity, how did you get a figure of exactly 22.5%, to the total planned budget? To me it looks reasonable, but I am intrigued by very exact percentage figure to the decimal!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, Bullthrower, just out of curiosity, how did you get a figure of exactly 22.5%, to the total planned budget? To me it looks reasonable, but I am intrigued by very exact percentage figure to the decimal!

That's exactly how many beers he drank before he typed :ROFLMAO:

Last edited by a moderator:
And the porcupine will be a fully mount coffee table, so I really hope for the opportunity at one.

Tripping on something in the dark and falling in your living room could ventilate and drop the pressure of your cardiovascular system. Forget stubbing your pinky toe. You could puncture your lung 87 times.

Maybe do a euro on the skull and make a lampshade or picture frame from the quills. It would be less deadly.

I know of a guy that did a full mount local porcupine. It looked awesome. He displayed it high on the wall because of the above concerns.

Tripping on something in the dark and falling in your living room could ventilate and drop the pressure of your cardiovascular system. Forget stubbing your pinky toe. You could puncture your lung 87 times.

Maybe do a euro on the skull and make a lampshade or picture frame from the quills. It would be less deadly.

I know of a guy that did a full mount local porcupine. It looked awesome. He displayed it high on the wall because of the above concerns.

A full mount in a "Glass" Coffee Table.... sorry I should have been a little more detailed.
Boy that would be a big mistake to fall into one though!

How do porcupines mate.......................carefully..............

hahah great advice. This will be a archery hunt, but I'm not opposed to borrowing a rifle from the outfit if need be. My dream would be a random management sable at a really good price...LOL but I don't think they exist
Not sure what you call a 'management sable', but I shot a sable with a broken horn at Wintershoek Safaris (a sponsor) a few years back. I'd shot a great one in Zimbabwe, so wasn't looking to spend the money on another one, but when I saw some broken horned ones at Wintershoek, I asked, and they were happy to let me shoot one for a very favourable price. You never know until you ask.

A full mount in a "Glass" Coffee Table.... sorry I should have been a little more detailed.
Boy that would be a big mistake to fall into one though!
I'm here to say falling through a glass coffee table isn't all that awesome either, thank god there wasn't a dam porcupine in there as well!

That's exactly how many beers he drank before he typed :ROFLMAO:[/QUOTE]

There is no coincidence that they are sold 24 at a time my friend! Lol

upload_2017-2-2_7-41-39.png

Fun problem to have - as far as practical, my suggestion would be to take 60% of your drop-dead budget (and you NEED to know what your drop-dead, non-negotiable limit is because it will be tested once you get into the swing of the hunt) and shape on your target list to squeeze into that 60% budget.

Now you have some latitude if the opportunity of a lifetime crosses your path.

I think the idea of some cull animals is a good one, particularly on the more 'common' game. Shooting warthogs is fun - I'd argue shooting 3 or 4 cull animals would be more fun than just hunting a single trophy boar. If you can do both, then even better!
Same on impala and blesbok - numbers are generally high (i.e. ample cull animals available usually) and the prices are a tiny fraction of the big/fancy trophies like waterbuck and nyala.

There's also a lot less pressure shooting cull animals - if the shot isn't ideal, then pass; if the animal runs off, then you just look for the next one etc. Nice to get your eye 'in' and your confidence up on your 1st trip, without the pressure of a split second opportunity at the only trophy kudu/nyala/waterbuck/etc that you see.

I reiterate what everyone else has mentioned about being flexible and taking what Africa offers up.

My PH and outfitter knew my trophy budget and that my main goal was a kudu, my wife's main goal a gemsbok. Initially, we were really focused on going after those primary animals. After about a day, we loosened up and really started to have fun. We hunted the animals we prioritized, we hunted unexpected stuff like wildebeest and jackals (my wife hadn't even considered wildebeest before the safari and ended up connecting with a really nice one), and we hunted animals we spotted that were exceptional like the waterbuck I harvested.

We went into the safari with the western business mindset of wanting to get exactly what we wanted and getting the most bang for our buck. We quickly learned that safari is all about relaxing and having fun. We have great memories of our trip and we have reasons to go back (like the nyala I didn't get a chance to hunt).

Also, my PH brought me in $100 under my total trophy budget, with every day being action packed and lots of fun hunting.

Such problems my friend...lol Pick what you really like and fits the budget. If there are other animals you see and like you can always go back! Most outfits give away the baboon, don't be afraid to ask.

Josh, I know you said it will most likely be your only trip to Africa but once you get there for a day or two, you will be thinking of how to get back. Always remember will there is a will, there is a way!
But just in case you don't ever get the chance again, I would definitely look for a kudu and a great eland. Everything else is icing on the cake.

Also have a few other "primary" species on your wish list that way after baboon and warthog, or during the pursuit of those 2, you come across 1 or a few different primary animals, there you go! Then you can see the other animals you might not have wanted "secondary species" along the way also and make decisions based on that as well

Forgot to mention that I would certainly have a kudu on the list! That screams Africa to me, it was the primary animal on my first safari.

1st Forget the "one and only trip" BS, Once you go, you're hooked and you spend way too much time trying to figure out the return.
Someone once said "There are only 2 safaris: Your first and the NEXT!"

As far as animals: First I thought "How would he look on the wall?" Then I looked at trophy fees and availability.

My taxidermy bill was more than the safari!

I would tell you to go hunt see the animals you think you want and decide after seeing them in the bush. There is no need to rush and spending a day looking animals over is away to help narrow your list down. If on that day you come across something special then take it but just enjoy looking them over the first day can help.

Since your wife is dead set on a zebra that would be a great start to go look for also. You will see some of the other stuff as your hunting for the zebra.

I myself would not do the sable over hunting 3 or 4 animals. As for kudu or nyala that is a hard choice as they are both beautiful animals. Kudu is normally a harder hunt and gives you a run for your money to get one.

Waterbuck was one of my favorite animals to hunt as was eland. Good luck and enjoy the trip no matter what you pick in the end

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriBlorm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg