AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Well I’m planning on buff and hopefully elephant in the next few years and have been trying to learn about big bores and different calibers. But to be honest I’m not a huge gun guy, I just love to hunt and I’ll use whatever tool it takes. I had focused in on .416 rigby as the caliber I wanted just due to its history with Africa and it being slightly larger for elephants. I’m on a budget and would love a nice double but I’d prefer to save the extra cost to put towards an actual hunt. I wasn’t planning on buying one right now but as things go I had a great friend reach out saying he was selling some guns. Just so happens he had a Ruger .416 rigby. Long story short I did a little research on the guns (no many comps for price) and bought the ruger magnum .416 rigby topped with a Leupold 1.5x5 and a Cz 375 h&h topped with a Leupold as well as 50ish rounds for both. There has been less then 100 rounds shot through both combined. Seemed like a great start for me to get into the field after DG. Purchased it all for $3,600. The 375 is going to my brother and I’m keeping the rigby. My Friend and his dad had used the guns in Africa for buff and he was happy to know I would take them and use them.
What’s everyone’s thoughts? Very much enjoyed getting to shoot a big bore for the first time.
IMG_6299.jpeg

If you hadn't bought them for that there would have been many of us here that would have taken that deal!! Great going!! Now get yourself a safari booked!

Great deal on a couple of really nice looking rifles. I don’t have any experience with the 416 Rigby but I have a LH CZ 550 in 375 and it is a really well put together rifles that shoots very well. Congrats on a great deal.

Referred to as an epic snag. Congrats and enjoy.

You did very well. The RSM has been under appreciated for years, and resale values are recently rising. They remain a lot of gun for the money. They are one of a few actions that a 416 Rigby really works right in, and I think one of the best cartridges for the RSM (the 375 in RSM is just a little heavy IMO).

Well done….

Great deal on a couple of really nice looking rifles. I don’t have any experience with the 416 Rigby but I have a LH CZ 550 in 375 and it is a really well put together rifles that shoots very well. Congrats on a great deal.
Great to hear!

If you hadn't bought them for that there would have been many of us here that would have taken that deal!! Great going!! Now get yourself a safari booked!
Yes hopefully booking soon!

You did well. On the Rigby for elephant, take a look at the NorthFork 400 grain cupped point solid. Mine broke both shoulders on a big bull ele last season. Excellent bullet. I also have a line on a good ele hunt option if you want to PM me for details.

Now that you have a 375 and a 416, you're going to need a 458 or 470. Then we can talk about your future 500.

You did well. On the Rigby for elephant, take a look at the NorthFork 400 grain cupped point solid. Mine broke both shoulders on a big bull ele last season. Excellent bullet. I also have a line on a good ele hunt option if you want to PM me for details.
Thanks for the tip! Yes please I’ll send a pm

As others have said, you did very well, congratulations! When I had a .416 Rigby, a CZ, and if you're a hand loader, H4831 was exceptional as a powder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelaHo

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.