Hot weather day pack & socks?- Real world advice

I just wear white cotton socks. Wore them for 30 years carrying mail and have never had a problem. What's a good quite shoe? I have had more issues with that.

Where are you hunting? what are you hunting? Is the pack for the hunt or just for training? You rarely need a pack of any kind in Africa However the camelback style is the exception to consider.
You must use wool socks. I like the Kuiu midweight socks, Darn Tough, and Boyt (merino/mohair/bamboo blend). Blisters come from ill fitting boots and the wrong socks.
I recommend Lowa and Kenetrek boots If you need an option.
Also you may need insoles. (The insole store.com)
Keep training!
Post #23

I just wear white cotton socks. Wore them for 30 years carrying mail and have never had a problem. What's a good quite shoe? I have had more issues with that.
I used to roughneck in cotton socks. Got some Smartwools and it changed my life haha. Get some good socks! You won’t regret it!

Point6

37.5 and Compression Ultra Light. No issues with comfort, blisters or temperature regulation.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-02-13 at 2.19.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-13 at 2.19.03 PM.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 38
  • Screen Shot 2023-02-13 at 2.19.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-13 at 2.19.05 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 39
  • Screen Shot 2023-02-13 at 2.19.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-13 at 2.19.07 PM.png
    963.5 KB · Views: 30
Exo Mountain gear is coming out with a whole new line of new and improved packs including a new daypack. It won't be out for a few months so it may not work for your hunt for this year. Their packs are really well made and comfortable.
For this hunt you need to be doing lots of walking with your choice of boots and socks regularly. You will need to try different things and really push it in order to be ready for this extreme sounding hunt. Please consider my recommendations mentioned previously. It never hurts to have an extra set of boots and some different socks to try.
best of luck and look forward to the report!
Philip

Everybody has the perfect pack, but like a perfect holster....it's 100% user dependent on body shape and pistol (pack load) carried.

The major hunting brands, that cater to mountain hunting, or the major backpacking brands, will have packs that should fit your needs. A store like REI will give you a lot of options to test the fit. Cabela's would also have inventory to test fit (although not like they use too)

I always wear my polypropylene liner socks under merino wool socks if I'm hunting regardless of the temps. All that changes is the thickness of the merino socks. I normally wear Smartwool Classics from summer through archery elk season.

I have been wearing liner socks under wool socks forever. Either polypropylene or coolmax.

My best advice for a backpack is "Don't let your pack size influence your load, let your load influence your pack size".

As for hydration, water bladders aren't your only option, check out Hardside Hydration they make a lid and hose combination that converts a nalgene waterbottle to a hose and bite valve system.

1676304923128.png

After reading this thread I know I will definitely be trying out Darn Tough socks. Made in USA. Unconditional lifetime guarantee and as someone mentioned earlier they actually have a line of hunting socks. Pretty big pros there for me and definitely worth trying them out IMO

Reactions: USN
Everybody has the perfect pack, but like a perfect holster....it's 100% user dependent on body shape and pistol (pack load) carried.

The major hunting brands, that cater to mountain hunting, or the major backpacking brands, will have packs that should fit your needs. A store like REI will give you a lot of options to test the fit. Cabela's would also have inventory to test fit (although not like they use too)
Unfortunately Cabela’s store inventory and online for packs is just horrible; other on line and outdoor shops would be much better.

I wore Smartwool socks for many years until I discovered Dar Tough socks.
Still have some Smartwool in the drawer and will wear them until they wear out but 90% of the time I have on Darn Tough and Kenetrek boots.
Love Darn Tough socks!

Socks: Smartwool light or mid weight PHD's, Point 6 merino has been great for me as well. Darn tough--have had a pair but they don't seem to have the snappy stretch factor, neither do Duluth sox.

Pack: Eberlestock, pick one for you application, if you're convinced you need a back pack,....a good hip pack goes a long way in Africa. I actually use the top removable hip pack from my Eberlestock Dragonfly pack.

As far as your Courtney's, just the leather insole you can get from WR makes a huge difference after its molded to your foot. There is no support in those things.

I go the cheaper route for socks and it hasn't let me down. From hunting early season elk in southern Colorado at temps of 80-85F to hunting hogs in the dead heat of TX late spring and summer (100F), standard moisture wicking work socks have done the trick. You can get these socks online or at stores like Academy. I used these socks as well when working on offshore rigs in the Gulf of Mexico on hot decks with temps 95-100F.
1676320869820.png

And they are made in the USA if that matters to you.

I go the cheaper route for socks and it hasn't let me down. From hunting early season elk in southern Colorado at temps of 80-85F to hunting hogs in the dead heat of TX late spring and summer (100F), standard moisture wicking work socks have done the trick. You can get these socks online or at stores like Academy. I used these socks as well when working on offshore rigs in the Gulf of Mexico on hot decks with temps 95-100F.View attachment 517199

And they are made in the USA if that matters to you.
**I meant to say highs of 70-75F in southern Colorado for early Elk, not 80-85F

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VioletteFg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!