Hornady ELDX Bullets

Buckdog

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I am wondering if anybody has any field reports on these new Hornady ELDX bullets?? Has anybody shot anything with them yet? I have reloaded some up for my 300 win mag and they shoot wonderfully accurate and the red tips are pretty. BUT they are Hornady bullets so how they will perform on game maybe another story?? So I am kinda scared to try them out on a critter , I may bite the bullet and shoot a deer or two to see what they do. I am normally a Nosler and swift A frame shooter and I know those bad boys get er done! so if anyone has shot something besides paper what do you think.

I am wondering if anybody has any field reports on these new Hornady ELDX bullets?? Has anybody shot anything with them yet? I have reloaded some up for my 300 win mag and they shoot wonderfully accurate and the red tips are pretty. BUT they are Hornady bullets so how they will perform on game maybe another story?? So I am kinda scared to try them out on a critter , I may bite the bullet and shoot a deer or two to see what they do. I am normally a Nosler and swift A frame shooter and I know those bad boys get er done! so if anyone has shot something besides paper what do you think.

From what I gather they are designed for long range 400+ where toughness is not a good thing. They remind me of a slick interlock more than the interbond. Not really the thing for Africa unless you are in the Free State. my $0.02

The hype is that they will open up well at long range/reduced velocity, BUT also hold together at normal distances/high velocity. The images of ballistic gelatin look good. They are fairly new. By next Jan there will be a lot more info out there on them from regular hunters. I think Gunwerks did some of the testing on game animals including some in Africa. Perhaps a call or a e-mail to the Davidsons might get some of there information. Bruce

yes I agree with you guys they are very accurate bullets and about 1/2 the price of noslers as they come in a box of 100 for same price box of 50 accubonds or swifts. but I am doubtful they will hold together at a high velocity hit at 100 yds from a 300 mag I am guessing they will frag bad as I have seen other hornadys etc do. I will try one on a doe this year if I get the chance and post the post mortem results.

Will be interesting to hear field reports!

There are a few guys down here using them and they assembled to be going well. Kiwis use a lot of the amaxs for long range stuff and the eldx for the same. I don't think I've seen any up close reports.
I would say they would be a good deer projectile. Wouldn't be my choice for Africa.

I watched a mountain goat get shot with a 6.5 Creedmoor with 143 grain ELD-X at 427 yards a few days ago. Goat made it about 10 feet before going down. It was a pass through. It is by far the most accurate bullet I've ever shot from the 6.5 or 7mm.

I'd be curious myself as to how they hold together at close range, say 50-100 yards.

Like all long-range bullets, I suspect fragmentation would be high.

No bullet is ideal through all velocities...these are made for long range. At long range they are deadly!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross