Hornady ELDX Bullets

Buckdog

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I am wondering if anybody has any field reports on these new Hornady ELDX bullets?? Has anybody shot anything with them yet? I have reloaded some up for my 300 win mag and they shoot wonderfully accurate and the red tips are pretty. BUT they are Hornady bullets so how they will perform on game maybe another story?? So I am kinda scared to try them out on a critter , I may bite the bullet and shoot a deer or two to see what they do. I am normally a Nosler and swift A frame shooter and I know those bad boys get er done! so if anyone has shot something besides paper what do you think.

lcq

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA CSSA
Hunted
Canada, RSA
I am wondering if anybody has any field reports on these new Hornady ELDX bullets?? Has anybody shot anything with them yet? I have reloaded some up for my 300 win mag and they shoot wonderfully accurate and the red tips are pretty. BUT they are Hornady bullets so how they will perform on game maybe another story?? So I am kinda scared to try them out on a critter , I may bite the bullet and shoot a deer or two to see what they do. I am normally a Nosler and swift A frame shooter and I know those bad boys get er done! so if anyone has shot something besides paper what do you think.

From what I gather they are designed for long range 400+ where toughness is not a good thing. They remind me of a slick interlock more than the interbond. Not really the thing for Africa unless you are in the Free State. my $0.02

gillettehunter

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Australia/NZ
Hunted
Namibia, Kyrgyzstan(2) South Africa(4) New Zealand Zambia(2)
The hype is that they will open up well at long range/reduced velocity, BUT also hold together at normal distances/high velocity. The images of ballistic gelatin look good. They are fairly new. By next Jan there will be a lot more info out there on them from regular hunters. I think Gunwerks did some of the testing on game animals including some in Africa. Perhaps a call or a e-mail to the Davidsons might get some of there information. Bruce

Buckdog

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
yes I agree with you guys they are very accurate bullets and about 1/2 the price of noslers as they come in a box of 100 for same price box of 50 accubonds or swifts. but I am doubtful they will hold together at a high velocity hit at 100 yds from a 300 mag I am guessing they will frag bad as I have seen other hornadys etc do. I will try one on a doe this year if I get the chance and post the post mortem results.

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
Will be interesting to hear field reports!

stug

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
NZ
There are a few guys down here using them and they assembled to be going well. Kiwis use a lot of the amaxs for long range stuff and the eldx for the same. I don't think I've seen any up close reports.
I would say they would be a good deer projectile. Wouldn't be my choice for Africa.

tedthorn

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Eastern Cape of South Africa
I will shoot something with a 280AI 162 grn VLDX this fall.

Deer or Antelope

Long and short range testing

sheephunterab

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Website
www.outdoorquesttv.com
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI, Wild Sheep Foundation, AFGA
Hunted
Tanzania, Namibia, South Africa, New Zealand, Australia, Azerbaijan, Kyrgyzstan, Argentina, Canada, USA, Russia
I watched a mountain goat get shot with a 6.5 Creedmoor with 143 grain ELD-X at 427 yards a few days ago. Goat made it about 10 feet before going down. It was a pass through. It is by far the most accurate bullet I've ever shot from the 6.5 or 7mm.

JGRaider

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
B&C, DSC
Hunted
US, Mexico, S Africa, Namibia
I'd be curious myself as to how they hold together at close range, say 50-100 yards.

sheephunterab

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Website
www.outdoorquesttv.com
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Australia/NZ
Member of
Hunted
Tanzania, Namibia, South Africa, New Zealand, Australia, Azerbaijan, Kyrgyzstan, Argentina, Canada, USA, Russia
Like all long-range bullets, I suspect fragmentation would be high.

sheephunterab

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Website
www.outdoorquesttv.com
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Australia/NZ
Member of
Hunted
No bullet is ideal through all velocities...these are made for long range. At long range they are deadly!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larrycab

Latest profile posts

degoins wrote on Treemantwo's profile.
I have a like new VC .450 I might part with. I had it built in 2013 and it has served me well. Also have a VC fitted leather trunk case for it along with the plastic case it came with. I'll take 14000 for all of it.
Matt W wrote on Jody's profile.
Hi Jody,
I have been looking for ideas on the best way to display my European mounts from Africa. I came across some of your shield work and was wondering if you would be willing to make one for me? If so, please let me know the cost. I like the shield with the two spears that you built for a member years ago. Thanks.
cal pappas wrote on Mnelson2's profile.
Nelson. Is this message a PM format. I want to send you my email, but don't know if this is the cirrect way to do it. I'm at <pappas@mtaonline.net> Send me an email with your phone and I will call you about a skull I have. I went to school in Boston and am from Bernardston in the west part of the state. Moved to Alaska in 1984 adn never looked back.
BeeMaa wrote on Justbryan's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. He was a pleasure to do business with.
BeeMaa wrote on 375Fox's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. Was a pleasure to do business with.