Higher velocity calibers

davidt

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hello All,
First, I want to say I did do a lot of searching and was not able to find a topic on what I am about to ask. If a similar post is out there I appoligize for missing it. I am wondering from any of the PH's or hunters that have had experience with the high velocity calibers if they notice any benefit from it? Looking for real world backing to say the 378 Weatherby versus the 375 H&H and so on into the larger calibers? Have you noticed the animal dies andy faster from the high velocity? I will add that I am trying to compare similar shots, not a high velocity bad shot versus a well place standard round shot. Hope to get some real world comparisons from the people that have seen it first hand. Thanks greatly to all and hope averyone has a wonderful day!!

My personal opinion is that high velocity buy you a longer distance shot, less tragedy. As far as killing a animal, I'm sure high velocity will buy you higher penetration if you are shooting "the right bullets". With that being said most people would rather see a person bring a 375 H&H or 300 H&H than say a 460 Weatherby or 300 Ulta Mag. There is price for high velocity and it usually means more recoil and for a majority of people that mean "poorer" shot placement. I'd rather hunt with a slow velocity gun over a maximum load, high velocity load any day for the most part. I will stalk closer and make a ethical shot right where I want it. Plus those high velocity loads tend to be loud as hell!

I'm with Enysse and I own a 460 can you believe it (I hand load)

I must be honest though I have seen the result on cats, it's hard to compare I know,...but velocity and rapidly expanding bullets = larger hydrostatic shock in cats this be the killer.

One could kill it with any 30 cal or 375 but I have seen and experienced the big heavy wiz bangs work on leopard as well as lion, and what I would consider to be more effective, in theory,... but how do I prove it....

Must say a 378, 30-378, and 340 puts a spell on any cat... :)
Then again how dead is dead... :) :) :)

My best always

My personal opinion is that high velocity buy you a longer distance shot, less tragedy. As far as killing a animal, I'm sure high velocity will buy you higher penetration if you are shooting "the right bullets". With that being said most people would rather see a person bring a 375 H&H or 300 H&H than say a 460 Weatherby or 300 Ulta Mag. There is price for high velocity and it usually means more recoil and for a majority of people that mean "poorer" shot placement. I'd rather hunt with a slow velocity gun over a maximum load, high velocity load any day for the most part. I will stalk closer and make a ethical shot right where I want it. Plus those high velocity loads tend to be loud as hell!

100% with Enysee. In the medium or large bores, your shoulder will pay the price for the added velocity. As far as extending your range,,, I would also be one of those guys who would make the effort to get in closer, unless you can't, but if you can you should make the effort. Too many variables go into long range shooting, most of which you probably already know. I have never felt good about any 500+ yard/meter shots on "wild game". I personally limit shots to around 300 yards and under. There are guys on here that make the longer shots on a regular basis, and I am certain they practice at these ranges. Again though, if you don't have to the don't. The number one thing I would take into consideration, is bullet construction, and how well said bullet shoots from your rifle of choice. As Jaco said (basically), how dead do you want them.

To all that have posted so far thanks! Jaco you stated one subject that I was wondering about and that is how they work on Lions. My brother took his lion with a 375 H&H I believe, if he is here please correct me if I am wrong, but he killed it fine, however I have heard the high velocity calibers will do a better number on cats. Second, I agree with everyone so far that being close as possible is a must. I am sure the high velocity may give you range, but I have no interest in that part, more so wondering if there is any noticable effect on game give the same shot with a standard caliber over the fast ones. Again thanks so far!!

300 yards is really, really far anywhere that I have been in Africa. Secondly, penetration is almost always the most important attribute for a caliber used on African game. Penetration typically equals bullets with high BC - in other words, heavy for caliber. That equation almost always means a somewhat slower velocity. From 300 yards on in, bullets and calibers such as the 300gr .375, 250gr .338, 180gr .30 calibers will hit almost point blank with a two-inch high sight-in, and they will kill any PG or leopard on the continent.

Also remember that the target is a bit more forward on PG and your bullet will often have to break bones on the way in. Again, the realm of heavy for caliber, high BC, and thus somewhat lower velocity ammo.

I am sure the high velocity may give you range, but I have no interest in that part, more so wondering if there is any noticable effect on game give the same shot with a standard caliber over the fast ones. Again thanks so far!!

David- Just speaking from my experience and that you are specifically interested in the effects on lion, I believe the "shock" effect that puts the big cats down fast is attributed to higher velocity loads and soft nose/rapid expanding bullets and yes you are correct I used the 375 H&H for my lion.
I think you could glean a lot of specific info from a guy that has hunted with a 460 (Jaco).

Jaco, You want to get a trip booked real quick, just tell this guy you will borrow him your 460 for a cat hunt and he will have a suitcase packed before dawn;)

Nathan

Some good advise there.

If you do decide o use a high velocity round remember that bullet construction is exponentially critical, be sure to use Barnes, Partitions, A frames, etc. The toughest bullets made for the toughest service.

I cant speak for large calibers but I can say this, I shoot .257 WBY and .338 Lapua. Regardless of size with a shot to the heart/lung area half are DRT 40% die within 20-50yds and the remainder make it 75-100yds. I don't know how that compares to slower bullets but it is a pretty good record. On shots outside the heart/lung area high velocity is no better than low velocity, shoot the gun you shoot most accurately nd you will be fine, as stated African shots tend to be on the shorter side.

Some good advise there.

If you do decide o use a high velocity round remember that bullet construction is exponentially critical, be sure to use Barnes, Partitions, A frames, etc. The toughest bullets made for the toughest service.

I cant speak for large calibers but I can say this, I shoot .257 WBY and .338 Lapua. Regardless of size with a shot to the heart/lung area half are DRT 40% die within 20-50yds and the remainder make it 75-100yds. I don't know how that compares to slower bullets but it is a pretty good record. On shots outside the heart/lung area high velocity is no better than low velocity, shoot the gun you shoot most accurately nd you will be fine, as stated African shots tend to be on the shorter side.

Totally agree with Diamondhitch.
High velocities demands tough bullets.
In my experience does the high speed cartridges give you an edge when it comes to how fast an animal drops to the ground after a good heart/lung shot, but dead is dead and all cartridges, slow, average and fast do that as long as you hit where you should.

In my experience will most people have problems to accurately shoot any larger caliber than .338 going at high velocities.
And even a .30 caliber going fast is to much for many.

Shooting accurately is extremely much more important than anything else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
genihi4888

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg