Hi Standard 22lr pistol

CJW

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
I'm looking to eventually replace my grandpa's Hi Standard model B 22lr pistol with 6 3/4" barrel. Does anyone have any experience with Hi Standard pistol's? Are they accurate and reliable? Do they feed all ammunition well or are they picky? I've been able to handle one with a 4" barrel locally at a shop but haven't shot one.

Thanks for any info.

I have one of the older series 103 High Standards. Very well made and extremely accurate. The older ones should only be used with standard velocity ammunition due to potential for frame cracking.

The High Standard doesn't have a feed ramp. The rounds have to feed straight from the mag into the chamber. As a consequence the feed lips on the mag have to align 'just right'. The magazines have to be tuned to feed your specific ammo. Not a big deal but needs to be factored in.

Also keep in mind that the business has gone through a number of owners over the years. Manufacturing quality standards have varied.

Thanks for the info. Are there certain periods of manufacturing you could point out that I should look for or stay away from? I'm not exactly sure of the vintage of his pistol unfortunately. The instruction page I have says "revised 5-64" and the envelope it came in says Nov. '66 but it could have been made well before that.

Thanks

I'm looking to eventually replace my grandpa's Hi Standard model B 22lr pistol with 6 3/4" barrel. Does anyone have any experience with Hi Standard pistol's? Are they accurate and reliable? Do they feed all ammunition well or are they picky? I've been able to handle one with a 4" barrel locally at a shop but haven't shot one.

Thanks for any info.
My dad had one and it was always reliable. One of the first pistols I shot. It disappeared years ago much to my disappointment.

Reactions: CJW
My dad had one and it was always reliable. One of the first pistols I shot. It disappeared years ago much to my disappointment.

My grandpa's too along with a colt 22lr revolver. I do have the instructions, target grips and a colt woodsman magazine for it in the box both pistol's were kept in. It would be nice to have a use for them. I've always dug the looks of them.

My grandpa's too along with a colt 22lr revolver. I do have the instructions, target grips and a colt woodsman magazine for it in the box both pistol's were kept in. It would be nice to have a use for them. I've always dug the looks of them.
I hope to get one someday to replace my dad’s pistol. He got it for his birthday when he was a teenager.

In case you decide to check for other options, I suggest, two models 22lr:
Sig hamerli trailside, 22lr
Smith & Wesson 41, 22lr
Photos from internet.

1612850757284.png

1612850731259.png

In case you decide to check for other options, I suggest, two models 22lr:
Sig hamerli trailside, 22lr
Smith & Wesson 41, 22lr
Photos from internet.

View attachment 388415
View attachment 388414

Good to know and that's why I'm asking. I want to make sure I don't spend $4-500 on a HS and wish I had spent that on a more reliable pistol. The mention of the no feed ramp and possible feeding troubles is the sort of thing I wanted to know about but not a deal breaker.

I've always liked the looks of buckmark and ruger 22 pistols. Do you have any thoughts on them? I do like the looks of that S&W though.

Thanks

CJW I shoot handguns competitively. The High Standard Brand when made in Hamden and or Hartford CT. were excellent. Their Models M106 and M107 were the best. Why because the angle of the stock on those models matched that of the 1911. The only High Standards worth owning are the OLD ones. The newer versions made by Mitchel and or High Standard of Texas are truly pieces of ****. The older models that I named will fetch a grand or better. The well made High Standards have been out of production for over 30 and perhaps closer to 40 years. The problem most folks have, is getting new magazines that work. The only ones I've found are sold by CDNN.com. They use the same manufacturer that High Standard did back in the day. BTW one can expect a one inch group or less for 10 shots out of a Ransom Rest.

@CJW
I tried both of them, accuracy good, S&W was maybe a bit better.
I needed a 22lr, for cheap training, and I wanted the 22lr pistol to look like "Pistol". (not like modern bosch drilling battery machine, or the other typical 22lr pistol design, like luger-like)

ABove two were not for sale, my next choice was cadet kit, 22lr slide, mag and 22 barrel, adapter for CZ 75b.
Again, I tried cadet kit, from friend, many times, liked it, and at the moment not avialable anywhere to buy.
Available was Walther P22, but I found not too good reviews on internet, so I was sceptical. I passed.
Finally I ended up with SIG Mosquito, 5 inch BBL, 22lr. (looks like scaled down copy of sig 226)
Accuracy, moderate, but for training OK.
However, if not cleaned after use, next day will be FTF, FTE, and similar.
If cleaned after use, next day, works flawless, including cheap ammo
I am not too happy, but it serves the purpose for training, and warming up, before I switch to 9mm, for training, my mach pistol.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ktman

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.