Heym vs. Verney-Carron?

My Merkel and Heym 88B in 470NE both bashed my second finger. That was totally cured with the installaiton of a rubber pad that you can buy for double barrel shotguns (NECG?). The pad is held on the back of the trigger guard and can be easily removed if desired. My Heym 89B in 450NE does not impact my second finger so the pad has not been required.
All to do with the shape off the pistol grip 89 perfect

Agreed.

FYI 570 gr Barnes solids over 95 gr RL 15 (2143/2148 fps) nearly replicate the factory Hornady regulation loads (2139/2142 fps). Bullets touching at 25 y (open sights - not crossing).

Last edited:
I will never again promote VC, beautifull on the outside but the inside(which matters) leaves a lot to be desired.....
Stock dimensions are also an issue even if custom built....

Daniel,

I understand what you are saying. They are both excellent rifles. The 89B is essentially an 88B with a recontoured receiver and stock/barrel contours more akin to a British double. From a workmanship and reliability standpoint I see no difference between the 88B and 89B. Chris invited me to the shoot where the 89B was introduced and I fell in love with it and ordered the one pictured.

However, the 88B still holds one major advantage - That being availability on the used market. The pictured 88B is in 450NE and replaced my 470NE as I prefer the large number of .458 bullets available for reloading. Since I now have the 89B in 450NE I will probably put the 88B up for sale for $13,000 with a couple of boxes of shell and a set of reloading dies. Very few 89Bs have popped up on the used market so a purchaser is looking at twice that to order a new 89B as shown and a considerable wait.

Daniel,

I understand what you are saying. They are both excellent rifles. The 89B is essentially an 88B with a recontoured receiver and stock/barrel contours more akin to a British double. From a workmanship and reliability standpoint I see no difference between the 88B and 89B. Chris invited me to the shoot where the 89B was introduced and I fell in love with it and ordered the one pictured.

However, the 88B still holds one major advantage - That being availability on the used market. The pictured 88B is in 450NE and replaced my 470NE as I prefer the large number of .458 bullets available for reloading. Since I now have the 89B in 450NE I will probably put the 88B up for sale for $13,000 with a couple of boxes of shell and a set of reloading dies. Very few 89Bs have popped up on the used market so a purchaser is looking at twice that to order a new 89B as shown and a considerable wait.
PM Sent

Yes it is. Had the measurements taken off my VC, that rifle was 1/4" longer LOP, 1/16" different in cast (can't remember of + or -) but when I shouldered it and opened my eyes bead was centered.
Greetings, just curious if you've spent any time with your 89? Your overall impression, etc .. if you care to share sometime.

Regards, Daniel.

I am so happy I bought the 89B. Right off the bat it is more comfortable to shoot than my VC was. The 89B weighs 12 lbs, nearly two more than my VC did, which helps recoil more than you'd think.

The rifle is also easy to load for. It shoots Barnes & CEB solids and A frames reloads all equally well- all of which are interchangeable with each other as well as the Hornady ammo with which it was regulated (and the factory Federal A frames).

Fit and finish is top shelf. weighted and balanced perfectly. Well worth the upcharge from my VC.

Leaving for Zim tomorrow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpstracking

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg