Heym or Dakota?

I have two CZ rifles and really like them. I’d get a HEYM though over a CZ or Dakota and if I could swing it a Rigby over a HEYM. No practical reason for my last preference other than, it’s a Rigby.

My choice would be the Heym. I was quoted $13k plus upgraded wood and shipping yesterday. I have an email with approximately 30 stock blanks to choose from.

The heym in 404....or if you can the rigby in 416...because if you want a 416 rigby and the pricing is pretty close ...might as well have it in the correct rifle :D Beers:

You’re very right, Rigby for the 416 Rigby!!!

At my dealer, The Rigby is $20900 with grade 9 wood.:oops:
To me, the Heym would be the more budget friendly rifle.

Down grade the wood....the standard ones have seen have plenty nice wood...its only for holding on to.....or staring at when in a philosophical mood :E Big Grin: ...then you possibly need the grade 9...;)

Went on the rigby configurator and double square bridge ph modelwith lightweight 24 inch barrel and scope mounts with standard wood came to approx equivalent of $11,200.00...but presume by time taxes etc added be slightly more ...see a price of $13,995.00 which still good

Went on the rigby configurator and double square bridge ph modelwith lightweight 24 inch barrel and scope mounts with standard wood came to approx equivalent of $11,200.00...but presume by time taxes etc added be slightly more ...see a price of $13,995.00 which still good

We see them new in the US in that price range. I would definitely go with the Rigby although the Heym is stellar. I have the Rigby (or my wife does) highland stalker in 9.3x62. It’s a fantastic rifle.

I am with Mike on this one - the standard wood is exceptional. I don't have the Big Game - but my .275 Highland Stalker is a special thing. Were I buying a .416 RIGBY and had my choices down to the Heym or Rigby "Big Game" , I would definitely go with the Rigby. Just because if for no other reason. :Finger:

And you need a new dealer. Just saying.

We see them new in the US in that price range. I would definitely go with the Rigby although the Heym is stellar. I have the Rigby (or my wife does) highland stalker in 9.3x62. It’s a fantastic rifle.

Yup I know you do....just waiting for you both to bring it here so I can check it out... :E Big Grin: ...Joe @Red Leg is being polite and bringing his 275 highland stalker to visit us next year which I am greatly looking forward to :A Thumbs Up:...so least you can do is bring it here on holiday as 9.3x62 is one of my favourite calibres..:D Beers:

Maybe I need To look at this! Dang you for bringing this to my attention!!!

Last edited:
Hey it's what I am here for ....cant spend myself at the moment...so get to make you lot do it.... :A Thumbs Up: :D Beers:

Here you go... :E Shrug: ;)...but please ignore that 375 thing option...

Haha i appreciate the encouragement! Just looked and my quote for the same is $13995 with no bases.

Two objective criteria

Unless I am dreadfully wrong, the Dakota uses a Win 70 clone action. What this means is that it is a .375 H&H length action with the feeding ramp shortened and steepened to accept the .416 Rigby longer cartridge. This is less than optimum.

Also, the magazine width of the Dakota 76 is designed for the .375 H&H family of cartridges. Fitting the much wider .416 Rigby shell in it is possible, and modifying the feeding rails geometry for it is possible, with good results, but this too is less than optimum.

Therefore, as a first objective criterion, I would suggest selecting a .416 Rigby-sized action & magazine well for a .416 Rigby. This essentially takes out the Dakota.

Further, although it is well mannered in a decent weight rifle (e.g. 10 lbs.), the .416 Rigby already has significant recoil. Even more, if loaded hot toward .416 Wby performance. Screwed-on scope bases are an objective weak link.

Therefore, as a second objective criterion, I would suggest an action with integral scope bases built into a double square bridge. This too essentially takes out the Dakota.

PS: it is worth noting that Dakota offer their factory rifle in .416 Rem (necked up .375 H&H shell loaded to higher pressure to match the Rigby ballistics), but NOT in .416 Rigby. I suspect that the two above points have some bearing on this corporate decision...

Subjective criteria

Aside from the CZ action, which is in a different lower world as a raw product, the two most commonly available .416 Rigby-sized actions are the post-2015 Mauser M98 Magnum and the Heym Express actions. Other custom options exist: Granite Mountain, Mayfair, Prechtl, etc.

Both Mauser and Rigby rifles are based on Mauser barreled actions, so I would say that the pick between a Mauser branded rifle and a Rigby branded rifle is a matter of personal preferences as regard brand, style, finish, etc.

As to which of the Mauser/Rigby or Heym barreled action to prefer, by all reports they are both outstanding...

So, it truly becomes a matter of personal choice. Mauser has its following; so does of course Rigby; and the Heym Martini is built to replicate them.

I too would likely go Rigby, with Mauser in second place, and Heym in third, all for totally subjective romantic reasons...

I would not even consider a Dakota owing to the two objective criteria discussed above.

Last edited:
Haha i appreciate the encouragement! Just looked and my quote for the same is $13995 with no bases.

Wow, you’d better get a pair at that price! But seriously, wouldn’t a Rigby Big Game in .416 Rigby and a Rigby Highland Stalker in .275 Rigby be a nice pair of rifles to travel the world with?

Wow, you’d better get a pair at that price! But seriously, wouldn’t a Rigby Big Game in .416 Rigby and a Rigby Highland Stalker in .275 Rigby be a nice pair of rifles to travel the world with?
Heck yeah! My wife would kill me for getting both but really considering the Heym Martini in 404j.
I’d trade my MRC 404 or sell it to help

Reactions: WAB
Either are extremely fine rifles, but think I'd join the majority here and say the Heym. Don't think the Rigby would be much more cost wise, so you might want to explore that a little more.

Fine I’ll be that guy. Buy a CZ 416 Rigby, and the spend the remainder on your occasional hunt.
You mean THAT guy?
That guy who has to spend more to have all the typical CZ issues addressed? :rolleyes:

I get it, in the end it's less expensive...but it's still a CZ.
When it could be a Heym, Mauser or Rigby.
None of which would need additional work.

If you are looking in this price range, I'd scratch Dakota off the list.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
v9bettel

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois