Heym Model 89 in 500 NE

I
If I get a 500 Jeffery barrel for my R8 and shoot it with open sights, can I come along?!
R8's are useful as a cautionary example only in the world of double rifles.....

;)

HWL

Well, I just put a deposit down on one...I’ll post pics in a new thread when it arrives in 12 months!
Excellent news! .. And certainly look forward to seeing any upcoming pics regarding.

Someone mentioned Sullivan's 577's, I've only seen 2 88's though. One side plated, perhaps sidelock. the other 's.

Last edited:
Excellent news! .. And certainly look forward to seeing any upcoming pics regarding.

Someone mentioned Sullivan's 577's, I've only seen 2 88's though. One side plated, perhaps sidelock. the other 's.

I agree, I’ve only ever seen him with the 88 model. I ordered the 89b version with case colors and some gold inlay on sides and bottom.

I see you are from MI, I grew up in the Kalamazoo area! Small world...

I agree, I’ve only ever seen him with the 88 model. I ordered the 89b version with case colors and some gold inlay on sides and bottom.

I see you are from MI, I grew up in the Kalamazoo area! Small world...
I think you're correct. I believe he had his built before the 89B came out. When I was In Australia hunting Water Buffalo, my PH said that when he hunted with Mark he was using the Heym 577. He also said that Mark had a problem with the rifle doubling on him sometimes. I thought all Heyms had an anti doubling feature, but that contradicts what he said. This hunt took place in Dec 2015, so not sure when the 89B came out.

I think you're correct. I believe he had his built before the 89B came out. When I was In Australia hunting Water Buffalo, my PH said that when he hunted with Mark he was using the Heym 577. He also said that Mark had a problem with the rifle doubling on him sometimes. I thought all Heyms had an anti doubling feature, but that contradicts what he said.

My understanding is that both the 88 and 89 models have intercepting sears, and are identical internally, just different in appearance and shape on the outside.

When pulling the trigger, there is some take-up, and Chris explained to me that you are moving a sear blockage to the other trigger to prevent double discharge.

At any rate, if my 577 doubles, and it isn’t my fault, it’s promptly going back for warranty service.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jemsbond

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.