Heym Express by Martini, 404 Jeffery

What a beautiful rifle, oh how I would love to handle, cycle and shoot that rifle. Would it be impolite to ask approximately the cost and delivery time? Hopefully the world will get back to normal soon and you will be able to get that rifle where it was meant to be AFRICA!

What a beautiful rifle, oh how I would love to handle, cycle and shoot that rifle. Would it be impolite to ask approximately the cost and delivery time? Hopefully the world will get back to normal soon and you will be able to get that rifle where it was meant to be AFRICA!
Sorry. I just read your post today. This rifle with the wood upgrade was $12K US.
I'm not sure about the delivery time, as this one was purchased at the DSC convention this year. He brings along several rifles to sell at these shows. You can get the "PH" version for $10K, but the stock is very plain. Same fit and finish, but just not as "pretty".

Sorry. I just read your post today. This rifle with the wood upgrade was $12K US.
I'm not sure about the delivery time, as this one was purchased at the DSC convention this year. He brings along several rifles to sell at these shows. You can get the "PH" version for $10K, but the stock is very plain. Same fit and finish, but just not as "pretty".

Well worth the price of admission!

Thoroughly enjoyed reading your post and the pictures that followed. Especially as I have recently purchased the exact same rifle in the same caliber! It has arrived in South Africa but I am still waiting for my license, handed the application in in early Feb! Corona is not helping and the wait is killing me! I'll also be putting Talley QD rings on. Looking at leupold and Swarovski scopes. Interested to know what softs and solids you end up using.

Stunning rifle Toby. Congrats.

I was unaware that this thread had gained a few new comments. I'm considering selling this rifle to help fund an Elephant hunt. If anyone is interested, I may entertain passing it on to a new owner. It's still just as it was when I received it. Perfect.

I was unaware that this thread had gained a few new comments. I'm considering selling this rifle to help fund an Elephant hunt. If anyone is interested, I may entertain passing it on to a new owner. It's still just as it was when I received it. Perfect.
Toby, say it ain’t so!

The most perfect Dangerous Game rifle caliber ever designed, yours rifle is another great example of fine , fine craftsmanship and today`s technology. A few years back when I commenced searching for a 404 Jeffery rifle to purchase /build ( Von Gruff at that stage build a beautiful 404 Jeffery rifle an example of masterful skills only attributed to Von Gruff , the finest Master Craftsmen I had the honour to call a friend and mentor, since he would be the person who motivated me to search for a special rifle with a great history attached to it . ) At that time, it is about ten years ago, I predicted that the 404 Jeffery caliber will be the most sought after hunting rifle caliber by hunters coming the next age...I now can confirm my own prediction to be true and on the spot..many, many hunters today who own even double rifle , a lot of other revered calibers , are looking for a 404 Jeffery to own....it is just the perfect designed caliber ever...I would urge you not to sell this great rifle , rather sell your wife`s car (y):LOL:

The most perfect Dangerous Game rifle caliber ever designed, yours rifle is another great example of fine , fine craftsmanship and today`s technology. A few years back when I commenced searching for a 404 Jeffery rifle to purchase /build ( Von Gruff at that stage build a beautiful 404 Jeffery rifle an example of masterful skills only attributed to Von Gruff , the finest Master Craftsmen I had the honour to call a friend and mentor, since he would be the person who motivated me to search for a special rifle with a great history attached to it . ) At that time, it is about ten years ago, I predicted that the 404 Jeffery caliber will be the most sought after hunting rifle caliber by hunters coming the next age...I now can confirm my own prediction to be true and on the spot..many, many hunters today who own even double rifle , a lot of other revered calibers , are looking for a 404 Jeffery to own....it is just the perfect designed caliber ever...I would urge you not to sell this great rifle , rather sell your wife`s car (y):LOL:
If I had a wife, I wouldn't be able to afford the rifle in the first place! Haha! I think at this point, the memories of a hunt are more important than having a beautiful work of art simply sitting in the safe. The longer I own this rifle, the less I'm inclined to want to drag it through the thorns, and bounce it around in a hunting truck. I have Winchesters and Kimbers for that! I'm still just kind of testing the water though. I would need to get pretty close to what I paid for it, as it is absolutely like new. Only fired 4 rounds to test function.

If I had a wife, I wouldn't be able to afford the rifle in the first place! Haha! I think at this point, the memories of a hunt are more important than having a beautiful work of art simply sitting in the safe. The longer I own this rifle, the less I'm inclined to want to drag it through the thorns, and bounce it around in a hunting truck. I have Winchesters and Kimbers for that! I'm still just kind of testing the water though. I would need to get pretty close to what I paid for it, as it is absolutely like new. Only fired 4 rounds to test function.
Toby, there you have your answer....sell all those other rifles, you do not need them, keep only the 404 Jeffery and use it for any game ...from a scrub hare to an elephant to hunt...otherwise why don`t you rent this rifle to fellow forum hunters so it can pay for it`self and you still have the advantage to keep it..(y)(y)(y)(y)

Toby you are breaking my heart, if I only had your money!!!!! And here I thought we had a convert.

Someone with a thicker wallet than mine needs to suck this one up in a hurry.

Toby you are breaking my heart, if I only had your money!!!!! And here I thought we had a convert.

Someone with a thicker wallet than mine needs to suck this one up in a hurry.
It's only money Art! I can send her your your way when the check clears! Heck, I'll even do layaway! :sneaky:

Walnut......steel.....blood....guts....and nothing else.

A long long time ago. Before soft men took over the world. There were real men. Men that worked hard, and played harder. Rot gut whiskey and Pall Malls had not yet been replaced by Fine Scotch and Hand rolled cigars. A time when big game hunters hunted for the thrill of the hunt, and not the prestige. Ivory was sometimes the excuse, but a desire to explore the wilds of Africa, and go toe to toe with the most dangerous animals on earth was an even stronger driving force. Those were the days.

I'd like to think that I was born at the wrong time, and that I could've stood the scorching heat of the Zambezi Valley for months on end, while on the tracks of a one hundred pound bull. But, our modern way of life has produced very few men that are worthy of being mentioned in the same breath as our ancestors. We, as a species, are getting soft. We need to toughen up.

But alas, we can still dream of the old days, and act out a bit at times. We can own the tools of our once resilient ancestors, even if we can't own the testicular fortitude that they possessed.
We can also hunt the same animals as men such as Selous and Bell once hunted, though our bag limits are short and time restraints are even shorter.

For many years, the tools of the trade were often large bore, double and single rifles. But a great World War ushered in the most useful rifle design ever devised. Paul Mauser's Model 98 was born. The model 98 and it's kin would soon change the face of modern firearms. It would prove to best all other designs of it's time, and continues to do so today. It has never really been improved upon. Sure it's been upgraded in some ways to address modern issues such as telescopic sights, but the function of the action itself is still as sound as any ever designed.

With modern times, also came modern machinery. Machines that can do a job in minutes, that once took days to accomplish. And, do it with a precision never known before. CNC machinery has made possible wonderful things, things that the average working man can afford. But for those of us that long for the good old days, thankfully there are still companies that blend hand made attention to detail, with modern means of manufacturing. Enter the Heym Express Martini Rifle.

I stumbled upon these rifles while doing research on the 404 Jeffery. I had succumbed to the allure of large bore rifles many years ago, but the 404 had never made it's way into my sights. I was content with 375, 416 and 458 caliber rifles. But eventually, the 404 would not be denied. It has, among many other attributes, history on it's side.
I had to have one.

While doing this research, I also stumbled upon the writing of Phil Massaro. A man that shares the same passion as I, on certain subjects. Fine rifles and hunting dangerous game, to be exact. He also had beautiful photos of his shiny new Heym Express Martini 404 on safari. Pictures that showed the elegance of these fine rifles, against the hard, dry backdrop of Africa.
I had to have one.

So now...I present to you... MY Heym Express Martini in 404 Jeffery caliber.
This is the finest bolt action rifle I have ever owned. The fit and finish is impeccable. The V notch sights attract the eye like a moth to a flame. Weighing in at a hefty 9lbs 10oz, the balance is such that the rifle seemingly floats in your hands. I am not at all into heavy guns, but you have to feel this one to believe it. It points just like the fine game gun that it is.

Now let's discuss feed and function.
I have owned many fine rifles in my time. The only rifles I will own must be reliable. For what's the use in something being pretty, if it won't perform? A quick dig through my ammo locker produced some Hornady DGX Ammo. While loading these cartridges in, one by one, I noticed something very special. The extremely well made, one piece magazine box stacks these cigar sized cartridges in perfect order. No rattle, no shake. They snapped into place and aligned with the guide rails and feeding ramp perfectly. Now for the moment we've all been waiting for. How does it feed? Well...those four cartridges feed so smoothly and so precisely, you hardly notice a round is being chambered. In a word.....Perfection.

For those that wish to forgo the excellent iron sights, they have designed a perfect scope mounting arrangement. Talley scope rings are known for their precision and repeatability, when removing and reinstalling an optic while in the field or at the range. For a removable scope ring, they are extremely hard to beat. Heym took advantage of this, by cleverly machining the top of the double square bridge receiver to accept these Talley rings. It results in a very clean looking marriage between optic and rifle, and also is unobtrusive when the scope is not in place. No bases to come loose, or screws to break. In a word.....Perfection.

Once the nerve has gathered to put a scope on this fine work of art, I will most likely opt for an old reliable friend. The Leupold VX3 1-5×20 is perfect for this application. While the rifle was shipped with 30mm Talley rings, I will most likely purchase some extra 1" rings to fit the smaller size of the Leupold. Light and lively.

A Buffalo machine.

TBC.....

View attachment 327904 View attachment 327905 View attachment 327897 View attachment 327898 View attachment 327899 View attachment 328144 View attachment 327901 View attachment 327902 View attachment 327903
Fantastic read and Rifle

I believe that you will regret selling this rifle. And I wouldn’t worry about a few dings if they are earned honestly on the trail of a buff or Ellie!

I believe that you will regret selling this rifle. And I wouldn’t worry about a few dings if they are earned honestly on the trail of a buff or Ellie!
Toby, let us rather get a group of members together and do a group buy of the rifle ..the group can sort out the details of how to buy it from each other ..(y)(y):LOL::LOL:

Toby, let us rather get a group of members together and do a group buy of the rifle ..the group can sort out the details of how to buy it from each other ..(y)(y):LOL::LOL:
How Bout we do a lottery of sorts? I'll sell 24 chances for $500 each.

Our weak Rand currency will never enable me to compete against the USA currency ...but I think it is a viable option, or as I pointed out, members who want such a beautiful rifle can make a group buy and work on the details who wants to buy who`s shares in the rifle to be a sole owner on the end of the day..

With DSC drawing near, here's an example of what kind of rifles you'll have the chance to fondle. Might be a good idea to leave your wallet in the hotel though....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerthaChristopher

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.